Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meat makes me ill lately. page

Megan.Eng is offline Member

Meat makes me ill lately.

Primal Fuel
    I hope this is in the right spot; I just (got married and) pregnant, and I'm about a month along. But lately, every time I walk by meat, try to eat it, smell it, hear it cooking, I literally throw up. What's a girl to do? I eat a lot of veggies, but even sardines make me queasy. And they're my good old standby.

Any advice? I'm hoping the weirdness will go away. I would HATE 9 months of meat aversion.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Oh I hear ya! When I was pregnant, a lot of cooking smells made me throw up. Meat smells especially.

Broth is your friend. Real bone broth. Chicken or beef or lamb stock. It's easy and doesn't smell. You can put in whatever herbs/veg for flavour that will work for you right now.

Try some gentler protein. Eggs maybe? White fish? Nut butters and nuts. Make yourself all sorts of apealing nut treats. Nola for breakfast if you can't do eggs.

Do you eat dairy? Greek yogurt would be good if you do.

Know that you have to do what you have to do. Eat what you can and don't stress too much about the rest.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Go for dairy for now, if it works for you. Cottage cheese, yogurt, kefir are good, as well as hard cheese & sour cream.

Most meat aversions are only in the first trimester as your hormones get ramped up.

Oh ladies, thank you so much! I almost cried yesterday. My dad cooked me a delicious steak, or so I was told. But I was like OHH GOD, not gonna happen.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
    Oh I hear ya! When I was pregnant, a lot of cooking smells made me throw up. Meat smells especially.

Broth is your friend. Real bone broth. Chicken or beef or lamb stock. It's easy and doesn't smell. You can put in whatever herbs/veg for flavour that will work for you right now.

Try some gentler protein. Eggs maybe? White fish? Nut butters and nuts. Make yourself all sorts of apealing nut treats. Nola for breakfast if you can't do eggs.

Do you eat dairy? Greek yogurt would be good if you do.

Know that you have to do what you have to do. Eat what you can and don't stress too much about the rest.
    +1!

With extra emphasis on good-quality eggs and gelatin. Choline and folate (and every other nutrient for that matter) are essential, as well as glycine from gelatin. Do make sure to get plenty of those. I could link you to some articles if you want but I think you'll probably just take my word on it.

Congratulations by the way.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    I was dairy free for 5 years when I got pregnant with my first. Cheddar cheese, saltines, frozen grapes and vanilla milkshakes were all that I could keep down.

For most people the queasiness passes by the end of the 1st trimester and your meat eating days will return. Eat what you can, dont stress what you cant. Take a good prenatal if you can but honestly you mostly need folic acid in the 1st trimester...most of the rest of the prenatal is what you need LATER - seriously. Protein is a later requirement. Iron is a later requirement.

The body will take care of your baby.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yup, do not worry overmuch.

if you do ovo-lacto vegetarian with some bone broths, you should be fine. I was that until i craved (and i do mean CRAVED) a steak. Then i had meat about 5-7 times during the pregnancy. Baby super healthy and happy, all was well. No worries.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member
    I would think the body wants a lot of fruit at this time. It is the anti-thesis of meat ;-). Very low protein, with a completely opposite type of mineral and vitamin mix.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    This may pass after your first trimester and then again, it may not. There were things I couldn't stomach at all while I was pregnant. With my twins, one of the few things I could eat in the first trimester were "mini-pizzas" made with white bread, slice of cheese and fresh tomato with a pinch of basil and some chopped fresh garlic and run it under the broiler. Of course now it wouldn't be primal. My twins are 32. Can you stomach chicken or is it all meats? One of my go to meals was baked chicken and mashed potatoes. Potatoes always settle my rumbly tumbly.
    Last edited by Lynna; 04-06-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Anand Srivastava View Post
    I would think the body wants a lot of fruit at this time. It is the anti-thesis of meat ;-). Very low protein, with a completely opposite type of mineral and vitamin mix.
    That is EXACTLY what I want. But since I'm diabetic, I'm sticking with more veggies, some fruit, lots of eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    This may pass after your first trimester and then again, it may not. There were things I couldn't stomach at all while I was pregnant. With my twins, one of the few things I could eat in the first trimester were "mini-pizzas" made with white bread, slice of cheese and fresh tomato with a pinch of basil and some chopped fresh garlic and run it under the broiler. Of course now it wouldn't be primal. My twins are 32. Can you stomach chicken or is it all meats? One of my go to meals was baked chicken and mashed potatoes. Potatoes always settle my rumbly tumbly.
    Any meat. I can just look at it, and throw up in my mouth. I feel bad for my dad and husband. I just can't stand to smell meat, even to cook it for them. They're starving, but I just can't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast