Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimalist shoes page

stephenmarklay is offline Senior Member

Minimalist shoes

I want to get some for outdoor trail hiking and running and general scouting around. Any thoughts on the best for this use? I have some Nike shoes made for agility training but wondered if the Vib 5's or others would be better but rugged enough to handle trails etc.

inter is offline Junior Member
    Merrell Trail Glove has been getting rave reviews. It has a Vibram sole.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I'm a huge fan of the New Balance Minimus Trail, since everything Merrell makes is just a little too narrow for me. It, too, has a Vibram sole.

SonyaJane is offline Senior Member

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    I think Five Finger Trek's would suit your purpose fine. I have good traction with them to do sprints on grass (haven't attempted agility work)

I've had my Merrel True Glove's for a week now, and I love them, think they'd be awesome on the trails.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the New Balance Minimus Trail...
    +1

I got a pair of these last month -- they're phenomenal trail shoes. Great on roads too! I have VFF KSO's as well, but for a more rugged trail I'd wear the NB Minimus Trail.

moorec06 is offline Junior Member
    I usually go on and off trails completely barefoot. But I also have five fingers and new balance minimus to give my feet a break. If your running through grass I would say minimus because you won't get grass stuck between your toes. Otherwise I like the vibrams better.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I hiked up a 6 km long, steep, semi-scramble trail in the Western Himalayas in my VFF Treks. I've also worn them to climb Mayan pyramids. I love them as hiking shoes, plus they are so nicely packable for travel.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member
    Merrell Trail gloves are the way to go. I don't understand the comments about NB having a wider toe pocket. That is not true. I am flat footed and have wide feet, and the toe pocket on the trail gloves is still larger than my foot. They are truly minimal. NB's have a 4mm heel to toe drop. I have ran in the FF KSO's for 9 months now, and trail gloves for the past month. I prefer the trail glove. It gives more protection against rough terrain than the FF's, but still gives you the minimalist feel and the minimalist runners sore calves.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have the Merrells and like them a lot. I have a black pair of the women's Pace Gloves and wear them to work. They look enough like regular shoes that no one has questioned them.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast