Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird dairy side-effect? page

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member

Weird dairy side-effect?

So I've had problems with my ears for a few years now. They always feel full, and like they need to pop.

Doctors just tell me they need to be cleaned, irrigate them, and the problem comes back quickly.

I started taking an anti-histamine for a cold, and I noticed that the issue went away. Which was weird. I kept taking it for a while, because the feeling is REALLY uncomfortable and obnoxious.

Because the anti-histamine cleared it up, I thought it might be an allergy-type issue. I remembered that I'd been eating a lot of dairy recently, so I stopped, and the ear issue is gone. Everything feels fine, no problem.

Does this sound like something that is plausible, or am I misattributing?

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I've had that problem for awhile. I've talked to other hypothyroid people that have it. My ears are also itchy a lot of the time. I don't eat a lot of dairy but maybe it doesn't take much. *sigh* That was the thing I've least wanted to give up. How long did it take before you noticed it going away?

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I had a lot of ear problems (itchy, feel dirty all the time, lots of wax) when on dairy. I stopped the dairy, and it all went away pretty quickly. There have been some times when I've slipped and had some dairy, and the ear funks came back straightaway and made me miserable enough to impact my sleep. There's someone else here who has the itchy, dirty ears/dairy thing, too.

ETA: Daisy, I notice a difference within 48 hours.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Interesting. I noticed that my sinuses become an issue on dairy. Ear, nose, throat. All related. Maybe you have tiny tubes and they're getting plugged up, or they're getting inflamed from an immune response?
    SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I don't have much in the way of wax but they always itch. Crap. I haven't had any dairy in the last 48-hours but maybe I'm just slower. Maybe I should try a dairy-free week and see if it goes away. Man I love cheese. I don't eat it every day but I will miss it. I'm also generally snuffly in the morning. I'd like to see that go away, too.

*prays its nuts instead*

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Got ear infections all the time. Had a severe ear infection at least once a winter. Sinus infections most of each winter. Overproduced earwax, to the point it would get impacted and actually affect my hearing.
    Stopped the dairy, it went away.
    I can usually notice it within 20-30 min if I get hit with dairy, goes away within 24-48 hrs.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah....it's as quick as everyone is saying. I notice the difference in about 48 hours.

I do have tiny tubes, it's an issue I've had since I was a kid. Crazy to me that dairy could be the thing impacting it.

Pink Slinky is offline Member
    Hm, so this is Day 9 of no dairy for me, and my ears are itchier than ever. I'm guessing it's the head cold I'm fighting, but I've always had bouts of itchy ears and feeling like I need to clean them out daily, sometimes multiple times. I never would have put it together with dairy. Well, crap.
    Heck no, I don't want no dang turkey bacon!

Andreas083 is offline Junior Member
    I too have problems with my ears. Excessive ear wax and itching. Tried to exclude diary for a few days, but it didn't help. Cheese seemed to be the answer but I've eaten cheese and not having these symptoms. I have dry wax, so when it's really bad it can fall out flakes out of my ear.. When I have this problem I often get itchy scalp and dandruff-likes flakes as well. When it's really bad even from my eyebrows. It is most likely a reaction to something i eat. Would really like to know what. Think I have to exclude on thin at a time to see what it is.

camel is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've suffered off and on with itchy ears - severe itching deep in the ear and including the roof of my mouth and down my throat. I've always wondered what it could be. But now that I think about it, I've nearly eliminated all dairy from my diet, and I haven't had it in a while. That's so interesting, I'm glad I read this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast