Thread: There may be some good food ideas here! page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

There may be some good food ideas here!

Primal Fuel
    Nose to Tail Eating by Fergus Henderson:

... such victuals as Rolled Pig's Spleen, Duck's Neck Terrine and Roast Woodcock, which is cooked with innards and head intact, the latter providing a bit of "delicious brains." Henderson recommends the use of a disposable Bic razor for depilating the primary ingredient in Crispy Pig Tails. And then there's Warm Pig's Head, which extreme chef Anthony Bourdain describes in his introduction as "so Goddamn amazing that it borders on religious epiphany." Here, too, are four recipes for lamb's brains, a commodity that Henderson admits is illegal in both the U.S. and England. Home chefs will encounter difficulties in obtaining other ingredients as well. Blood Cake and Fried Eggs calls for a quart of fresh pig's blood, and Soft Roes on Toast requires delicate white sacs of herring semen. ...
    Amazon.com: The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating (9780060585365): Fergus Henderson: Books

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Tmi
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    I second the suggestion. Traditional European cooking of all the nasty bits. Yum!

The lamb's brain terrine is the perfect primal morning tea, served with onion jam. Pity it's illegal so many places (not here in Australia though!).

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddibot View Post
    I second the suggestion. Traditional European cooking of all the nasty bits. Yum!

The lamb's brain terrine is the perfect primal morning tea, served with onion jam. Pity it's illegal so many places (not here in Australia though!).
    Yeah, BSE. Or—with sheep—worries about scrapie.

I have read that there’s a theory that Mad Cow disease was actually the results of poisoning with organo-phosphorous chemicals. Apparently, MAFF (the British Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries and Food) allowed—possibly even mandated—use of a systemic insecticide for cattle aimed at killing warble fly (which ruin hides for leather-makers by causing holes in them).

Can you believe it—a systemic insecticide used on animals? The mind boggles. IOW, as with a systemic treatment used on plants, the idea was to have the compound distributed through the animal’s system.

One of the things that makes the hypothesis plausible is that there were also, which I hadn’t known, Mad Cats at around the same time; and organo-phosphates were also being used on cats (as flea-killers, I think).

When I read that, a bell rang and I remembered a girl in Kent who’d been in the news as one of the few human CJD victims. It was said to be surprising she’d contracted it, since she was a vegetarian. They said she couldn’t eat animals as she loved them so much and worked with them as a veterinary nurse. Have to wonder if she’d been handling cat flea-killer, don’t you?

I guess if I lived in Oz where, AFAIK, farming can still be pretty non-intensive, and if I knew that organo-phosphates weren’t being used in sheep-dip—and I bet they’re not currently—I’d eat sheep’s brains.