Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not eating enough? page

Ransom is offline Senior Member

Not eating enough?

Shop Now
    Ok, so I estimated what I ate yesterday on fitday to see where I was out of a desire to lean out. Understand that I stopped eating when no longer hungry on both these meals and didn't feel "starved." However, after putting it in to fitday I only ate 140g protein, 39 grams of carbs, and 84 grams of fat, and only 1,452 calories. I'm a 5'6", 148lb male who works out with weights or body weight 3 times a week, sprints once, and moves at least 3 hours. I feel like I have good energy in every day stuff and workouts and, again, I didn't starve myself yesterday but stopped when no longer hungry. However, that amount of food/calories seems low. Am I eating enough? Is that too much of a deficit? I think you'll all probably say more fat but maybe not. Your thoughts are appreciated.
    Strength and Honor

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I checked my average days diet the other day and found I was at 1275 or so calories, and I am a 5'7" 135lb woman. So I would say that what you are eating looks ok to me. I am not hungry either, and I was a little shocked at how low it was, but if I am feeling good and getting all my nutrients (which I am), then I don't see any problem with it. I am content to lose a few more lbs; if I was trying to maintain and wasn't able to, I would add more food back in.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    I feel like I have good energy in every day stuff and workouts and, again, I didn't starve myself yesterday but stopped when no longer hungry.
    as long as you're feeling good and not getting hungry i think you're fine overall. if you have any specific goals in terms of strength or anything, you may want to increase things a bit, but your amounts look good. listen to your body, it knows what it wants.

Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    I would say that what you are eating looks ok to me. I am not hungry either, and I was a little shocked at how low it was, but if I am feeling good and getting all my nutrients (which I am), then I don't see any problem with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    as long as you're feeling good and not getting hungry i think you're fine overall. if you have any specific goals in terms of strength or anything, you may want to increase things a bit, but your amounts look good. listen to your body, it knows what it wants.
    Thanks - my goal right now is actually to do a better job of listening to my body and not saying "hey, it's primal so I can stuff my face!" especially with protein. Glad to know it's not way too little, though. Thanks, all!
    Strength and Honor

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Ok, so I estimated what I ate yesterday on fitday to see where I was out of a desire to lean out. Understand that I stopped eating when no longer hungry on both these meals and didn't feel "starved."
    I think your body already decided to lean out and that's why you are satisfied with this rather low intake.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to disagree with the previous posters and say that I don't think that is enough food to sustain your current level of activity or promote building lean mass. Ketosis suppresses appetite, which makes it very useful for pure weight loss. However, if you're working on body recomposition (which I imagine you would be at your height/weight), you may find that you need a bit more food.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    Don't you need to "feed" your muscles? I thought that suppression caused your body to feed off itself in a starvation mode which will slow down the weight loss process.

Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    I'm going to disagree with the previous posters and say that I don't think that is enough food to sustain your current level of activity or promote building lean mass. Ketosis suppresses appetite, which makes it very useful for pure weight loss. However, if you're working on body recomposition (which I imagine you would be at your height/weight), you may find that you need a bit more food.
    I don't think yesterday was quite normal - I would say I usually get more carbs than that and I was recalling from memory. I usually go between 50-100 grams so I'm not in Ketosis. I think I probably could have used a little more fat as well but I try and limit it a little on workout days as I try and increase my carbs - which I obviously didn't do so well with yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by simpstr View Post
    Don't you need to "feed" your muscles? I thought that suppression caused your body to feed off itself in a starvation mode which will slow down the weight loss process.
    Starvation mode, in my understanding, only happens with constistent and drastic underfeeding which I don't do. Most people think I eat a lot, actually. I think yesterday may have been a fluke but I was interested to get some thoughts on what it would mean in the event that it wasn't.

Thanks again!
    Strength and Honor

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    The way to answer if you're eating enough to maintain your body is to weigh yourself, consistently at the same time, over the course of two weeks. Each day might be up or down, but you'll be able to spot it if you're eating way too little because you'll be losing weight really quickly. I'd imagine you'd want a gradual decrease in weight.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    You might want to track stuff for a couple of weeks. There's no real way to tell if that day was typical or not. (More data = good.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast