Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any other Primal Health Professionals out there? page

marthat is offline Senior Member

Any other Primal Health Professionals out there?

Shop Now
    I'm quite new to posting here, and your forums are overwhelmingly large and active, so I've only read a few recent posts. Wish I had time for more, but the rest of life still goes on.

I'm a Registered Dietitian (Canadian). My University training all happened during the development of the cholesterol theory of heart disease and the low fat diet, but with reading in recent years, I have come around to the Primal point of view. I can't implement it too much in my practice ( I work in Long Term Care), but I certainly don't push sugar, margarine or heavy intake of processed carbs anymore. And my own life and that of my family have gone towards the higher fat, lower carb diet in the past year.

I'd like to hear from any other health professionals, MD's, RD's, etc about your experience, both professional and personal, with the Primal lifestyle and the Primal message.

Martha T., RD

Firebug is offline Junior Member
    I'm a critical care RN, just beginning my journey into the Primal lifestyle. I will update my post as I progress further.

My Primal message so far has been mainly limited to my co-workers.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    I'm a physician currently working on healing myself... Former RN, too. I'm bilingual. Speak nurse and doctor. Oh, and an amateur herbalist.

Pea

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I am a paraprofessional I work as a physical therapy assistant in the US Air Force.

I find because of my position and being military some people are very open to the idea. We all need to keep our weight down to pass our fitness test. I even had a doctor start telling people baout my success after years of struggle with weight loss. I am not sure she tells everyone about it, but I know she tells her thyroid patients, since I have hypothyroidism and this was the only way I was able to lose weight.

It is really cool to see more RDs that 'get it' and hopefully this trend will continue. Even if you can't use it in practice, your credentials are a great thing to have when you DO get the chance to promote this lifestyle. Without them people often don't take you seriously. Since I am 'just' a PTA, many people think Ihaveno clue what I am talking about, so they ignore me. Not at work, I am too much of a nerd there, but in regular life and on some CW message boards.

Is that it? No other RD's or MD's? Those of us who are mandated to give out nutrition advice and yet are controlled by a regulatory college?

My professional association is heavily sponsored by the provincial milk marketing board, a sugar company, the beef council, etc. And I get regular "healthy eating" propaganda from Pepsico, as they obviously have all the dietitians on their mailing list. It goes straight into recycling.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    I'm just a college student seeking a business degree but I like to think that I'm more qualified to give out nutritional recommendations with the underlying physiology than 99% of all RD's.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic Flash View Post
    I'm just a college student seeking a business degree but I like to think that I'm more qualified to give out nutritional recommendations with the underlying physiology than 99% of all RD's.
    I got my Bachelor's in Business, ended up a job I HATE because I was too lazy to put in the proper time and just went for the first that took me.
    Now I'm trying to jump out of business, and into nutrition/health/maybe fitness... but of course I can always use my business degree... but I'd like a Masters in Nutrition, however CW riddled it is.

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    I work in emergency services... I hate the fact that I have to give patients care advice that I don't personally agree with, or I'll be disciplined (ie telling pt's with diarrhoea to "eat starchy foods like bread and pasta, and avoid fatty foods."). Very frustrating.

But at least I can tell me co-workers about this WOE.

Barb is offline Senior Member
    I am an RN, working in hospital. I rarely discuss primal nutrition. But one day I had a patient with Hashimotos and colitis and rheumatoid arthritis and I watched her eat a bowl of cold cereal for breakfast - I just had to tell her to look into going gluten free and eliminating grains for 30 days to see if it helped. I said even if she is not specifically celiac, gluten and grains could be exacerbating all these autoimmune diseases. I told her my tendonitis of many years cleared up after eating that way myself. But don't take my word for it - there is tons of info on the internet. Fortunately, I am not really in the position where I have to advise people on diet. I just take care of them when they are very sick in the hospital or recovering from surgery - and they often aren't eating much at all.

I did want to report that we have some doctors treating people with pancreatic problems with MCT's (very similar to coconut oil) because they don't require pancreatic enzymes to digest. I talk to my coworkers about my weird diet - have drummed up interest in making kombucha, sauerkraut, gluten-free.....Just the other day I was eating some chorizo hash which created a heavenly aroma in the breakroom. A "healthy" eating friend said he had recently had some "soy-rizo" and found it tasty. I said "don't you know how bad that processed soy stuff is for you? That's not real, natural food." He said he had never heard that before, and clearly seemed a little concerned. So, I plant the seeds, they are sprouting here and there.

So no other RD's in the forums? Does anyone remember previous forum participants who admitted to being a Registered Dietitian? Am I the only renegade?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast