Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will i be covered nutrtionally if... page

milkycereal is offline Banned

Will i be covered nutrtionally if...

I only eat one veggie a day? Well i only eat one meal a day and dont have too much money and like to keep it simple. Will i ne missing any vitamins if i just have my meat and a bag of spinach and small amoints of other veggies for flavor?

I take a multivitamin. Too many veggies backs me up so id like to stick to one leafy one.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    That’s how I tend to eat mostly. I don’t know if I’m deficient in anything (not sure what to look for anyway) but I feel really good. I eat mostly spinach, kale, broccoli, sometimes all three together, mostly kale and spinach though. I won’t purposely avoid other veggies (only tubers) but I don’t like cooking too many of them.

My gf ensures I get my veggies when we eat together, as she really likes a variety of them, so if there’s truth to the NEED to eat a lot of veggies, then she covers me on that end.

I don’t take a multi, I only take magnesium (600mg) Vit D (5,000 IU) and fish oil (dosage varies, usually two gelcaps of NOW-DHA 500)

I’m interested in the replies to this one…

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    I only eat one veggie a day? Well i only eat one meal a day and dont have too much money and like to keep it simple. Will i ne missing any vitamins if i just have my meat and a bag of spinach and small amoints of other veggies for flavor?

I take a multivitamin. Too many veggies backs me up so id like to stick to one leafy one.
    My opinion here but getting your nutrients from foods over synthetic vitamins and minerals is far better. The foods work in synergy whereas some vitamins and minerals work against each other. Iron can inhibit absorption as can calcium.

With money being an issue look for in season and what is near the end of being able to be sold. Choose frozen veg with nothing added. I'm sure you can find some veg that doesn't back you up. Are you drinking enough water? Look for cheaper cuts of protein so you have more for produce.

I personally think limiting to one veggie choice is unhealthy. For instance there is very little potassium in a multi and the RDA is 4700 mg. I have been tracking my micronutrient intake for the past several days and eat a boat load of veggies and fruit and just make it or slightly exceed the potassium intake recommendation.

There is also a lot of antioxidants and phytonutrients you'll be missing. You can buy bottles of antioxidants but that is not the same as eating the real food.
    Last edited by O_O; 04-05-2011 at 08:02 AM.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    My opinion here but getting your nutrients from foods over synthetic vitamins and minerals is far better. The foods work in synergy whereas some vitamins and minerals work against each other. Iron can inhibit absorption as can calcium.

With money being an issue look for in season and what is near the end of being able to be sold. Choose frozen veg with nothing added. I'm sure you can find some veg that doesn't back you up. Are you drinking enough water? Look for cheaper cuts of protein so you have more for produce.

I personally think limiting to one veggie choice is unhealthy. For instance there is very little potassium in a multi and the RDA is 4700 mg. I have been tracking my micronutrient intake for the past several days and eat a boat load of veggies and fruit and just make it or slightly exceed the potassium intake recommendation.

There is also a lot of antioxidants and phytonutrients you'll be missing. You can buy bottles of antioxidants but that is not the same as eating the real food.
    On the antioxidant front: If you’re not eating sources of free-radicals that would in turn negate the need for an antioxidant. A primal diet does a good job of this.

Please correct if wrong, but I’m not sold on antioxidants. I believe them to be for people that are eating grains/veggie oils, etc, and even for THOSE folks they’re probably useless. I’m interested to learn more though.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    On the average day I really only have one veg, usually with dinner. I've started adding more in on weekends though for a little variety. Maybe splurge once in a while on a really big multi-ingredient salad. But if you eat something different daily, I see no harm in it.

O_O
    On the antioxidant front: If you’re not eating sources of free-radicals that would in turn negate the need for an antioxidant. A primal diet does a good job of this.

Please correct if wrong, but I’m not sold on antioxidants. I believe them to be for people that are eating grains/veggie oils, etc, and even for THOSE folks they’re probably useless. I’m interested to learn more though.
    It was just my opinion. I believe there is a lot of benefit to eating produce that is full of nutrients. A supplement doesn't come close to what is in real food and they're supplements not replacements.

Plaleo/Primal may be a great diet but we are breathing in pollution daily not to mention the chemicals around us such as car exhaust and god forbid the second hand smoke if you're unfortunate to be around it. Also some people eat regular bacon which often has nitrites and other additives. Those would be free radicals. How about the processed meats such as hot dogs and ham. Most often they contain poor quality ingredients. Often times soy protein is added to the processed meats to bump the protein in a cheap fashion.

As for the supplement antioxidant vitamin E it has just been shown to be involved in numerous cancers so so says the experts. The recommendation for this has just been dramatically dropped. This didn't include vitamin E from food.

I'll also add since I started tracking my micronutrient intake over the past several days I find I am obtaining what I need. My biggest issue is iron, calcium and potassium. With diligence I get 100% + of potassium and close on the iron. I discontinued the mulit, vitamin E and 2 of the 3 calcium citrate supplements I take and do feel great. I still take 300 mg calcium citrate because I only get 500-600 mg from food since forgoing all dairy, grains and legumes. No fortified foods. I took out the multi (iron free) because it contained soy (vitamin E) and the seperate Vitamin E for the same reason. And I've realized I get almost enough calcium so I cut back. I even get over 100% of D from food. Yes lots of canned wild sockeye. Right I discontinued the psyllium too since I get 35-40g of fiber from produce.

I also took out the multi because I don't like taking any vitamin A whether palmitate or beta carotene. Supplemental beta carotene has been linked to higher incidences of lung cancer in ex smokers. Yep I'm an ex smoker of 7 + years and don't go near second hand smoke. Too much supplemental vitamin A can demineralize bone. Due to osteopenia in my spine I don't need any help there.

I do take Ascenta's liquid fish oil 1500 mg, of which 750 EPA and 500 EPA, 1000 IU's D and Natural Calm magnesium citrate 1/2 Tbsp nightly.
    Last edited by O_O; 04-05-2011 at 12:35 PM.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    My opinion is that we all need a bit of variety in our diet, but probably not tons. If you are getting some different veggies a couple of times a week I would think it would be ok. Grok probably had long periods of time without a whole lot of variety - he ate what was plentiful and available in the season, veggie wise. Personally, I love having a number of different veggies each day - veggies take up the largest amount of cooking prep time I spend each day, but I enjoy the variety.

O_O
    Grok didn't live with the toxins in our modern environment?

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    What about the free radicals we take in just by breathing the pollution in the air or the chemicals we soak up through our skin?
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    Grok didn't live with the toxins in our modern environment?
    I`m sure he did but definately not at the rate in which we do today with all the artificial fragrances and exhaust fumes and everything else.
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast