Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conventional Dairy Milk? page 3

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Bath milk? That's a new one. I know a lot of Americans go to remarkable lengths to buy raw milk 'for their pets'.

Someone asked why yoghourt would be better than milk. Because it's a fermented food, the bacteria have digested (some, most or all of) the indigestible parts for you, and the bugs themselves are good to have. Also, it's satisfying to save a spoonful and make your own yoghourt. (Only thing is, with raw milk yoghourt especially I find I have to eat it pdq, as it continues 'working' in the fridge even faster than the home-made stuff usually does.)

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Bah, the nearest place to me is about 1 hr. away. That site is a great resource though, thanks!

I hate milk, wouldn't drink it as a kid, won't drink it now but, I use it for cooking and yogurt. I wonder if raw milk freezes successfully? If so, I could get several gallons at a time and make that 3 hr. round trip worth the time.

Ideal Peace is offline Senior Member
    I drink whole milk every couple of weeks, I use to drink 1/2 gallon of skim milk per day from the age of 14-19 (now 21), mainly when I was doing wrestling to maintain weight. I'm not diabetic, and in support of pklopp, I've tested blood sugar after consuming a cup of milk with nothing else and have seen a marginal rise in glucose after 30 minutes

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    If you absolutely must have milk, change your mind and don't have it anyway!

Organic is at least tolerable. I think most people here would answer that you should have full fat, but if you are doing Primal to lose weight, I'm still not convinced that is the best choice all the time.

Conventional milk comes from cows that are often given the milk-boosting hormone that is banned in Canada and Europe. The FDA is corrupted by Monsanto.

I tried the Greek yogurt (organic) since so many people mentioned it here. All the flavored ones have sugar so I bought plain and mixed in some electrolyte mix powder called Ultima (grape, 4g carbs per scoop, 1 scoop for about a cup of yogurt).

Damn, it's good! I have to put it away because I want to eat too much of it. I got the idea on a site where someone was mixing in Crystal Light to flavor theirs.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    I think most people here would answer that you should have full fat, but if you are doing Primal to lose weight, I'm still not convinced that is the best choice all the time.
    Protein synthesis increases more drinking whole milk than drinking a large amount of skim milk to match the calories. More protein for less calories is the only benefit skim milk has, but since the whole milk has a bigger effect on protein synthesis even with less actual protein this is moot. Vitamin A and D in milk are fat soluble so they will appear in much smaller amounts in skim milk. Whole milk also tastes much better and isn't just chalky water.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I didn't drink milk regularly the last 20 years and have just decided to add it back. Kind of nervous but happy.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Another thing to try if you are interested in experimenting, is to get some kefir grains and make kefir from milk. It is liquid unlike yogurt, has a pleasant taste, is particularly thirst-quenching in the summer, and choke-full of pro-biotics, plus bacteria eats up the carbs and sugars, leaving you with the protein goodness.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Bah, the nearest place to me is about 1 hr. away. That site is a great resource though, thanks!

I hate milk, wouldn't drink it as a kid, won't drink it now but, I use it for cooking and yogurt. I wonder if raw milk freezes successfully? If so, I could get several gallons at a time and make that 3 hr. round trip worth the time.
    Yes, you can freeze raw milk. As with anything it is not quite as good as fresh but is pretty darn close.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Full fat goat's milk tastes great! Still has the carbs like cow's milk, but is very tasty.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I drank crappy conventional milk from 7-11 last night, it was awesome.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast