Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conventional Dairy Milk? page 2

Neanderthal is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I drink conventional milk every day. Just watch the carbs- they add up quick.
    Drink the whole milk. That skim & 2% stuff tastes like milky water & has just as many carbs.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Go for whole milk, vitamins are in the fat, and whole milk has a larger effect on muscle protein synthesis than a higher volume of skim milk matching the same calories (Even though it has more protein!)

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Unless you just MUST have it for whatever exercise you are doing, consider switching it off.

I wrote a post the other day about milk, wondering why anyone would still be doing it, and I think the most common reason was post-workout, but the ultra pasteurized (even organic) is still wat down the list.

I was a milk addict too, and my doc said to stop it due to insulin resistance. It took about a week to get used to no milk, but health improved quite a bit.

If you are doing Primal to get the benefits of low carb/VLC, drinking milk is working against you. If you are doing it for fitness, it's up to you.

norak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
    Hey, in all fairness, I did include the word DESPERATE. If you're desperate for steak, and all you have is jerky, you're probably gonna have some jerky.
    Yeah. True. But if given a choice...

mhoward is offline Member
    To OP, I am not 100% on this, but I believe that the "pastuerization is the devil" argument is mostly about the proteins in milk, rather than the fats.

It seems to me that if you are getting organic pastuerized milk, you don't have to worry about the fats and go ahead and get full fat. There won't be as many vitamins as grass fed, but whatever, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Rip City is offline Senior Member
    If you really don't want to give up milk, find yourself a local raw milk farm and by it directly from the farm. Probably the best overall for you. WAPF is huge on the benefits of unpasteurized milk and you can find your closest seller here: Where Can I Find Real (Raw) Milk?

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip City View Post
    If you really don't want to give up milk, find yourself a local raw milk farm and by it directly from the farm. Probably the best overall for you. WAPF is huge on the benefits of unpasteurized milk and you can find your closest seller here: Where Can I Find Real (Raw) Milk?
    Thank you for that website!!!

Found a place right up the road with grass-fed beef, and free-range poultry and all associated products (eggs, butter, yogurt, etc.)! Don't have to drive halfway across town anymore -- which I actually wasn't doing because, well...I had to drive halfway across town

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Milk is a functional food intended to help infants to thrive, that is, to grow. Growth is only possible when the infant assimilates their food, the milk, easily. Assimilation of nutrients is driven by insulin. Type I diabetics, that is those who are insulin dependent, prior to the invention of synthetic insulin would starve to death. One symptom of type I diabetes is hyperphagia, or ravenous hunger, driven by the underlying pathology where irrespective of the amount of food ingested, none is assimilated.

So, if you were to produce a food intended to promote infant growth you would probably load it up with the necessary fats, carbohydrates, definitely protein, and throw in some immune system promoting factors, just to be on the safe side. Then, the next crucial step is to make absolutely certain that it is insulinogenic so that the infant has a strong insulin response which leads to assimilation of the meal. Our first order of business is growth, we can worry about the baby fat later.

The above analytical framework then suggests that milk would be highly insulinogenic, and this does in fact seem to empirically be the case.

Unfortunately, I have yet to track down the entire doctoral thesis, but from the abstract:

Recent data suggest that certain proteins and protein-containing foods e.g. milk, may exert insulinotrophic effects in healthy subjects, without a concomitant postprandial hyperglycaemia.
    Translating the seemingly obligatory academic speak into regular folk english ... milk stimulates insulin production without an increase in blood sugar levels.

Dairy proteins, in particular the whey protein fraction, were found to be potent insulin secretagogues in healthy subjects
    But, it gets better. This study found that:

Casein added to a fatty meal lowers free fatty acids markedly in the postprandial and postabsorption phases, probably via its insulinotropic activity.
    Free fatty acids (FFAs) in your blood are a good thing, because that means that they are available to be consumed for energy by every mitochondria containing cell in your body, which pretty much means every cell with the notable exception of red blood cells. Decreasing FFAs in your bloodstream, particularly after a high fat meal, is a decidedly bad thing because we can conclude that the FFAs that you've just ingested have been stored. Again, this is not a problem if you are principally concerned with acquiring baby fat that you can shed later.

Between them, casein and whey respectively account for 80% and 20% of milk protein, so we have a nice insulin promoting cocktail.

It's up to you whether you want to drink milk, but I would tend to stay away from it. If you do decide that milk is in your dietary future, then definitely go raw instead of industrially produced grocery store crap.

One possible thing you could do to simulate milk is to drink organic heavy cream. Heavy cream is basically pure fat at 35% milk fat vs. full fat milk at 3.5%. The advantage to the cream is that is does not have any casein or whey, nor does it have much lactose. If you want to approximate full fat milk, then, take heavy cream and add 10 parts water to every 1 part heavy cream.

As an aside, and for general amusement ... cheese in general is made by separating the liquid whey fraction of milk from the solid curds ( casein ). The curds are then pressed / formed and further processed into a bewildering variety of cheese. There is one type of cheese where this is conspicuously not the case, where the whey and casein are both used in the end product. What cheese is this? Why it's the traditional dieter's best friend ... cottage cheese. If you've ever read the nutritional contents on a package of cottage cheese and wondered why the protein to fat ratio is 3 to 1 where in regular cheeses it is roughly 1 to 1, well, now you know. It is due to the addition of "potent insulin secretagogues". Beware conventional wisdom.

-PK

Sal7 is offline Junior Member
    If you like milk like I like milk you're in trouble. All the milk I see has 12 grams of sugar per cup. Whether raw , full fat , skim, whatever, thats alot of sugar especially if you down 3 cups at a time while enjoying Scottish shorbread before going to bed! No more shortbread since going Primal (a little over a month now) but I still love milk. I try not to drink it as much but when I do it's usually at least 2 cups. I drink skim, but I think no matter the fat content, milk just has too much sugar - 2 cups = 24 grams of sugar, 4 grams shy of an ounce ! I know I don't need that. Anyway, since modifying my eating habits, for some unknown reason, I don't tolerate milk as before. I need the bathroom pretty quick after indulging, even if I have some food with the milk..

Sambo is offline Member
    So the other day I saw for sale some raw "bath milk". I'm intrigued... anybody drink it? After some googling it seems like it's a clandestine operation to get around the law (Australian), by selling it as a cosmetic product.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast