Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sound like hypoglycemia? page

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member

Sound like hypoglycemia?

Primal Fuel
    For the past few weeks I've been having blurred vision, shakiness and low energy, it usually hits in the morning, and doesn't last long. It only happens if I put breakfast off for a few hours, and only happens if I'm out walking, usually in the first few minutes of the walk.

Like today, I got up at 10, went to the market at 11 and as I was walking there (it's only half a mile, if that) I got blurred vision, almost had to rely on my ears to keep me balanced, but the weird thing is I didn't eat anything, carried on walking and it just wore off. Here I am at home now, it's 12 o'clock, I still haven't eaten but I feel alright.

It will happen again tomorrow if I go for a walk before breakfast, but like today it won't last more than a minute or so. Sometimes the same thing will happen if I go for a walk after I've eaten.

I think I'm getting enough fat. Last night's dinner, eaten between 8 and 10pm (I usually spread my meals out over a couple of hours):

Veg soup with a 1/4 can coconut milk
    Pork chop marinaded in olive oil
    Some coconut butter
    Avocado

I felt full afterwards.

I had my BG taken a couple weeks back and it read 77. I'd done a 15 hour fast, then eaten, and it was taken 2 hours after the meal.

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Get a BG test kit (a great investment) then do a fasting BG test. Eat nothing overnight, 8-10 hours, test your blood first thing, then eat a carby meal (you get the details in the kit); then you keep testing every hour for three hours (not eating until done). A high peak followed by a short, steep decline is the indicator. You sound like you have the symptoms.
    Last edited by Digby; 04-05-2011 at 05:04 AM.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    Get a BG test kit (a great investment) then do a fasting BG test. Eat nothing overnight, 8-10 hours, test your blood first thing, then eat a carby meal (you get the details in the kit); then you keep testing every hour for three hours (not eating until done). A high peak followed by a short, steep decline is the indicator. You sound like you have the symptoms.
    Yeh I tend to get hungry within a few hours after a carby meal. Before going primal I'd have a snack every 2-3 hours and carry energy bars around with me for when I crashed. Didn't know any better back then. Stupid CW.

I'll have a wander down town and look for a BG kit.

Are these the typical first signs of T2 diabetes? :/

Hypoglycemia is one of the predictors, along with extreme thirst, and others.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've got my kit. I'll test tomorrow and post the results. I'll probably be fasting somewhere between 11 and 14 hours. Does it make much difference how long I fast, or whether I do any exercise before or after breakfast??

Breakfast.. a carby one. I'm thinking a big bowl of oatmeal with a banana and peanut butter, with a few squares 70% chocolate afterwards. Sound good?

Then I take a reading 1, 2 and 3 hours after breakfast.

Thanks for the help and answering my silly questions. I just want to do the right things to get an accurate reading.

Randall
    Last edited by randallfloyd; 04-05-2011 at 12:53 PM.

hermanda is offline Senior Member
    I'm dealing with something similar and am very interested in the results. My BG tends to run higher though, (FGB around 95) but I eat VLC but have been dealing with hypoglycemia symptoms. Where did you get the test from? I have a BG moniter. Could I just use that? How g of carbs would I try to hit my system with? Can I just eat a lot of sweet potato and dark chocolate? :-) 27 yr old F 124 lbs 5'7''.
    In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Hey hermanda. I got tested at the docs a couple of weeks back. They said I wasn't diabetic with a BG of 77, and they're doing some other tests to try and find out what it is. Regardless though I'm interested to see how my BG levels change through the day and what things cause a rise and which ones steady it out. I am curious as to why I get these symptoms on a low carb diet.

I'm sure stress and anxiety play a part, if they're not the actual cause. I'm going to do meditation over the next few weeks and see if that helps.

Hope you get yours sorted out.

If anyone has good links to BG information please post.

Quote Originally Posted by randallfloyd View Post
    I've got my kit. I'll test tomorrow and post the results. I'll probably be fasting somewhere between 11 and 14 hours. Does it make much difference how long I fast, or whether I do any exercise before or after breakfast??

Breakfast.. a carby one. I'm thinking a big bowl of oatmeal with a banana and peanut butter, with a few squares 70% chocolate afterwards. Sound good?

Then I take a reading 1, 2 and 3 hours after breakfast.

Thanks for the help and answering my silly questions. I just want to do the right things to get an accurate reading.

Randall
    Doesn't matter how long you fast, and I don't know how exercise will impact results. The carbs sound fine. You are looking for the impact. If a doctor does it they give you glucose water, so what you've suggested won't be that sugary, but should still give you a good reading. No questions are silly, we all learn bit by bit.

I know now that I had hypoglycemia for years and my doctor never suggested I was because my BG numbers always looked okay; a single test can miss that your blood sugar is doing a daily roller coaster. Low carb pretty much took care of any of my bg issues, but I have to stay vlc. The monitor has been a big help. I found that even the small amount caffeine in my morning tea raises my bg a little. Or stress, which affects cortisol affects bg. In short, lots of things can mpact your bg levels.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by randallfloyd View Post
    Hey hermanda. They said I wasn't diabetic with a BG of 77
    My sister has low normal fasting BGL too. Her fasting insulin however is over the range--high. Her HbA1c is also on the rise.

I like: Blood Sugar 101

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast