Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: awkward glances at your vibram five finger-clad feet page 4

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    lol I swear girls with high heels get turned on when I walk by with vibrams

HAHAHA!! Brilliant! might have to give these a go then!

Squawlady is offline Junior Member

Observed in a tribute - can you spot the Vibrams?

I saw this photo today. Its the cover of the Boston Mag covered with the running shoes of the marathoners who participated in that race. They form the shape of a heart. And right in the middle you can't miss them!

Boston Magazine's Inspiring Cover: Heart Made From Marathon Runners' Shoes - My Modern Metropolis
    Boston Magazine's Inspiring Cover: Heart Made From Marathon Runners' Shoes - My Modern Metropolis

Just wanted to share :-).

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squawlady View Post
    I saw this photo today. Its the cover of the Boston Mag covered with the running shoes of the marathoners who participated in that race. They form the shape of a heart. And right in the middle you can't miss them!

Just wanted to share :-).
    I have those exact ones, but in green. Love the velcro on 'em; they do make great urban 'trekking' shoes. I am not surprised they were worn in the marathon.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    I don't have them (yet), but they're so common now that I see people wearing them all over. You can even buy cheapie ones in the little shoe department at Meijer, which is a grocery store store chain lol. My cousin has been wearing them for years-he's a preacher and wears them even when doing sermons
    *~Sara~*

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I can't help but stare, they're so grotesque, like something that does not or never will belong. No one is turned on by these things, don't kid yourselves, they're staring because they look so terrible. If you want something that really turns on women, cop my rick dunks:

They can't help but stare at the whole package with these on. Shoes make the man, why wear pleb tier shit?
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Those shoes are not attractive... at all.

I find VFFs more attractive... and they really aren't. But still not grotesque at all.
    Functional yes. Particularly 'attractive', no.
    Except for the little leather and suede slipper styles they made. Those were adorbs and I wear them the most.
    I wear VFFs exclusively because I have nerve issues and they have healed my feet of significant problems.
    Functional is beautiful sometimes.
    Before them I walked with a pronounced limp, sometimes dragging, and my right foot turned in...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Those shoes are not attractive... at all.

I find VFFs more attractive... and they really aren't. But still not grotesque at all.
    Functional yes. Particularly 'attractive', no.
    Except for the little leather and suede slipper styles they made. Those were adorbs and I wear them the most.
    I wear VFFs exclusively because I have nerve issues and they have healed my feet of significant problems.
    Functional is beautiful sometimes.
    Before them I walked with a pronounced limp, sometimes dragging, and my right foot turned in...
    Clearly too next level for you. Trust me, with the right outfit they look incredible.

With vibrams you're forced to wear gym shorts and jogging pants and delegated to looking like a soccer mom for eternity.

Being barefoot is free, and not ugly, if function > style for you. Or, you can, just, you know, find a comfortable pair of shoes or put some Dr. Scholls in your shoes. I'm literally on my feet 15 hours a day, and never have foot cramps, pains, or anything of the sort.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

I don't always wear VFFs with gym shorts or jogging pants(only when working in the yard or out walking, etc)... I've *shock* worn black suede ballet slipper style VFFs with dress slacks slacks and gotten plenty of compliments.
    I have several pairs and colors if leather/suede VFFs that I wear with dress clothing and dressed up jeans. Today was fuchsia suede mary janes like ballet slippers.

Too next level for you maybe?

I wore shoes that cost hundreds of dollars with custom orthotic inserts for years... I spent literally thousands of dollars getting shoes/orthotics custom fit and still had extreme pain. Dr. Scholls is bullshit.
    You can't even begin to understand something like that until you've had a nerve problem/nerve damage.
    VFFs changed all that. I will never go back to "shoes".

I don't go barefoot because in FL the hard surfaces become hot enough to blister your feet in summer (yes, literally), and I don't want to go into public places(often it's not allowed in public places) bare foot.

Your judgement of what is/is not attractive do not trump others opinions.

I think those shoes you like I think look like ass...
    Other conventional shoes I think look nice, but I still wouldn't wear them because they cause me pain due to nerve issues.
    Last edited by cori93437; 04-27-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

I don't think the thin vibrams will offer any protection or comfort from hard surfaces, or heat... I wore slippers to the beach once, and the hot surface was easily felt through them. Stepping on a rock would probably cripple me in pain. Vibrams are no different in material, from what I felt(my ex-gf from a while ago liked them)

No matter how dressed up the vibrams are, they still accentuate the same. They would look awful with the majority of clothing, you probably don't see that because you have a fondness for them.

And, of course you think they look like ass, everything I like resonates a cord with you and you end up thinking the exact opposite for some reason or other. Chalk it up to difference in generation and location.

Sorry to hear about your nerve damage, it seems like everyone has a justification for the extreme. Whether diet or even clothes.

PrimalCon New York
    Not exactly.
    I have worn VFF's everyday in FL in all weather and temps for over 3 years. The very thin ones that I wear that have partial leather bottoms (marketed as "indoor only" shoes for yoga) are not good for standing still on the hard surfaces in the dead of summer, but a slow stroll across a parking lot or sand is no problem. Though if I'm going to be walking on hot surfaces all day in summer I chose the fully soled versions. If I step on rocks in the partial soled VFFs its an issue... but I don't walk anywhere but sidewalks with them. My heavier/full soled ones... I've jogged on gravel roads with. It's seriously NOT a problem.

The fact that you think VFFs are ugly is also just your perspective.
    Many people do not think that. I'm constantly approached by people who like them and are interested in getting some.
    And yes... people actually think that they are cute.

I'm not the only person who I know who wears them and has benefited from them for medical reasons.
    My husband started wearing them after I did, and they help his knees, one of which he has had to have 3 surgeries on including a bone graft. When he can he wears the VFFs and goes BF at home. And has less knee pain when he does. He has to wear conventional shoes to work still...
    My mother-in-law also started wearing VFFs last year and found that her bad ankles/knees/hips are much better now. She figured that it was something that she would just have to live with because of age. She still wears conventional dress shoes, but VFFs when she is casual and it has made a difference in her mobility. She is almost 70.

The shoes you are posting look almost exactly like some that were worn frequently in my youth in the 80's... I didn't like them then either. It's not that I'm trying to be contrary. I just really don't like them. Everyone has their own taste. Mine is different from yours.
    You probably don't see the bad points of those shoes you posted because you have a fondness for them just the same as you pointed out to me.
    The first pair of VFFs I got I was like, "Umm wtf... but I'll try it and see."
    But to say that a conventional shoe with a Dr. Scholls liner will perform the same function as a VFF is just plain 100% wrong.

What it all boils down to is that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
    Some folks like them. Some don't.
    But I'm sure as hell not changing what I like, or wearing what is better fir my feet, in accordance to what someone else thinks... that would just be silly.
    Just like you shouldn't Derp.
    You keep rocking those big crazy honkin tennis shoes.
    And I'll keep rocking my VFFs.

None of us should change what we wear to suit how someone else feels about our appearance.
    I'm sure not going to do it.
    Last edited by cori93437; 04-27-2013 at 05:23 PM.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast