Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: awkward glances at your vibram five finger-clad feet page 2

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I've just celebrated one year in Vibrams. I don't notice the glances anymore- my friends and family do though. The questions are common. In the check out line, browsing produce, at the laundromat, in the ladies room at Applebee's... nowhere is safe, but that's ok. Ya get used to it.
    Yeah, I've also noticed a fundamental change in the questions I've been asked about VFF. I started wearing them in August '09, so 1.5 years now. Questions used to be, "What are those??" Now they're more, "How do you like those?" or "Are they comfortable?" (The second question annoys me -- why would I wear them if they WEREN'T comfortable?) It represents the fact that VFF are becoming more well-known... and it's funny. A cousin, upon first seeing them, she was appalled. (She's also a runner, and she first saw me in them winter '09.) Now she's interested in buying a pair. Pretty funny. Hell, my mom's the same way. She doesn't run, but she's planning on getting a pair now.

I do get used to it, and in fact I rather welcome it. It's fun to talk about them.

Funny little story, I was waiting to get my hair cut this past Saturday and I had on my pair of Komodo Sports, the black/gold/grey ones. A probably 9-year-old kid was there and saw them, said they were awesome. I won't lie, the Vibram folks did a great job with the design of the Komodo...
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Yup, it's always "Where did you get those!?" And "Are they comfortable?"

People are funny sometimes.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Every now and then I meet people who are actively creeped out by them--they find them scary, not just strange. I don't get it. Are they afraid of bare feet too?
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    It's like the footy equivalent of people staring at your ass.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
    why would I wear them if they WEREN'T comfortable?)
    Every day I watch women basically stumbling to work in 4" heels, off of the train no less, and you are surprised by this question? It is amazing what people will strap to their feet.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

JillianMarie77 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by <3mnts View Post
    Im totally pumped to wear my new vibram kso 5 fingers to school tmrw! im prepared for all the awkward looks i might get. hey, if people wanna stare, go ahead!
    Be prepared to talk about them. All the time. To everyone. Because everyone will ask. I got to the point where people said "Oh those are so cute" just to start teh conversationa nd I'd be like "No they're hideous but they're awesome" LOL
    Jillian
    Strict Vegetarian going primal as of 3/2011. This is a tough row to hoe!

So far I am down:
    • 6lbs
    • 1% BMI
    • 1" in my waist
    • 2.5" at my belly button
    • 1" in my hips

JillianMarie77 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Every now and then I meet people who are actively creeped out by them--they find them scary, not just strange. I don't get it. Are they afraid of bare feet too?
    My husband hates feet, thinks they're gross. When I got my VFF's he said "OH Ew, they look like feet!" and then "You can't wear socks with them? Oh now they're going to SMELL like feet!" LOL
    Jillian
    Strict Vegetarian going primal as of 3/2011. This is a tough row to hoe!

So far I am down:
    • 6lbs
    • 1% BMI
    • 1" in my waist
    • 2.5" at my belly button
    • 1" in my hips

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    I wore them to my son's high school event over the weekend, the adults were creeped out but the kids loved them.

melodious is offline Senior Member
    Interestingly, I actually get fewer comments when I go out barefoot (to the grocery, shopping, to a friend's house).

Lars86 is offline Senior Member
    For those with "funny toes", you can modify VFF's if you're brave. Thinner models like the KSO work better. It basically involves heating the sole of the toe which needs to elongate, then stretching it. I use a pair of vicegrips because you can get a nice solid grasp. I stretch the big and pinky toes; many people need the second toe longer.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast