View Poll Results: How "regular" are you?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2+ times a day

18 16.22%
  • Once a day

32 28.83%
  • Every other day

32 28.83%
  • Skip more than two days

29 26.13%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Constipation / Infrequent Stools = primal related? page

porcelain is offline Senior Member

Constipation / Infrequent Stools = primal related?

Shop Now
    I find the primal diet makes my bowel movements less regular and I end up skipping a day or two, every so often. My meals literally consists of half meat and half vegetables.

Somehow that's not enough fiber and most people would suggest grain to bulk up your stools, making it easier to pass. It explains why when I do eat rice or simple carbs, I end up getting results.

I'm worried that having irregular bowel movements means that food is staying and stressing my digestive system longer than intended, and that I don't feel... cleansed. What is your take on this?
    Last edited by porcelain; 04-04-2011 at 08:55 PM.

gunn parker is offline Senior Member
    From what I have read I think that because your taking in a lot less stuff that needs to be eliminated, you just don't need to go as often.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Constipation isn't caused by lack of fiber, it's lack of gut flora. Fiber from grains may make you go more often but it won't improve your health. Try eating more fresh leafy greens and herbs, preferably home grown or if not from the farmers market, minimally cleaned. Just rinse off the dirt. Fresh tomatoes with a bit of olive oil, leeks, onions, asparagus, cabbage, broccoli, etc . . . If you eat dairy try some raw milk or raw milk cheese. Fermented foods as well. All of this will increase the diversity of your gut flora and make you more regular. I eat no grains, potatoes, rice or corn and usually have two BMs a day, generally within the first few hours of being awake. I was a bit slowed down last week but that's because I was eating watermelon which is high in fructose.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    I didnt answer the poll because I couldnt pick just one answer. But since I am attacking my sleep issues with magnesium I definitely do not have constipation.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes I'm every day, sometimes every other day. I'm not constipated, stools are easy to pass and nicely formed. And that's with about 15-20g of fibre per day, just from leafy greens, vegies and a couple pieces of fruit. I think the leafy vegies are important, cellulose is insoluble so probably makes up the bulk of the stool and stimulated peristalsis.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    There is a difference in reduced frequency and constipation. Are you in pain and have difficulty having the bowel movement when you need to? If not you are just going less frequently and not actually constipated.

porcelain is offline Senior Member
    Thanks to everyone who replied thus far.

I should start taking probiotics to assist as I can't have too much dairy because I'm lactose intolerant. I hope increasing my gut flora is the answer to my problems since I eat a balanced proportion of vegetables as is...

To answer Nutmeg, no I'm not in pain but the stools are not exactly soft either.
    I often wonder if too much animal fat (since I eat with the skin) would promote constipation...

choppedliver is offline Senior Member
    I have found that adding some "safe starch" will make the stool bulkier and easier to pass. You do this, however, at the cost of increasing your BG.

But there are many aspects to constipation. For example, one of the problems could simply be the lack of moisture in the colon, making the stool hard to expel. The stool may not be particularly dense or sharp but it's still painful to expel from the colon and considerable straining may be required.

I'm not sure if this is due to the gut flora or lack thereof. I've experimented with various probiotics, yogurt, and kombucha but no luck.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    No, fat does not cause constipation, it actually helps to move things along.

If it is not painful, it is probably fine.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by porcelain View Post
    Thanks to everyone who replied thus far.

I should start taking probiotics to assist as I can't have too much dairy because I'm lactose intolerant. I hope increasing my gut flora is the answer to my problems since I eat a balanced proportion of vegetables as is...

To answer Nutmeg, no I'm not in pain but the stools are not exactly soft either.
    I often wonder if too much animal fat (since I eat with the skin) would promote constipation...
    Probiotics are fine, up to a point. The gut has hundred of species of bacteria, probiotics, not so many. Your best source is food, thus fresh and unprocessed. The reason so many on a SAD have digestive problems is the simplified nature of their diet and the fact that they're too clean. We evolved a symbiotic relationship with bacteria and need it as much as it needs us. It's a big part of our immunity. Get dirty. Eat some dirt. Associate with animals. Pick some berries and eat them without washing first. Same with tomatoes and herbs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast