View Poll Results: How "regular" are you?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2+ times a day

18 16.22%
  • Once a day

32 28.83%
  • Every other day

32 28.83%
  • Skip more than two days

29 26.13%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Constipation / Infrequent Stools = primal related? page 3

wilberfan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I found that when I went from vegan to paleo in Oct 2010 that my bowel movements became much less frequent. (I also developed two nasty hemorrhoids!).

I've now learned via trial-and-error, that things go much more smoothly by making sure I drink enough water, and eat enough (good paleo) fat... I pay much less attention to "how often" now--although it tends to be every 24 to 48 hours...

[edit] I also discovered that cooking my veggies made a huge improvement in my hemorrhoid(s). I was having a raw, big-ass salad every night for dinner (usually with some kind of meat on it)--and was continuing to suffer. Now I steam the veggies for a few minutes first... (I do miss my crunchy salads, though...)
    Last edited by wilberfan; 02-09-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    Vegan from 1993 until Oct 16, 2010. "D'oh!!"

gated312 is offline Member
    I'd agree with what a lot of others are saying. When I starting eating this way my stool not only became more compact but I also 'go' less frequently and in much smaller amounts. By no means do I strictly control what I eat (I'm 23 and quite active), yet still this is just how it is. That said, I do take a probiotic. I didn't notice a great change in taking it, but it helps a bit. Again though, I'd agree with others that if nothing is actually going wrong (i.e. pain or noticeable constipation) all sounds normal.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Only improved, here. Used to go once a week or (occasionally) once every three weeks. Several times I thought about calling the hospital, but it had always been that way so I just rode it out and assumed I had defective guts. Went Primal and now I go at least twice a week!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

huntingBears is offline Senior Member
    I've started going more frequently than before, every day for sure but sometimes twice, any ideas why this might be? i also still have some digestive discomfort but have only been on the diet about 9 days

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I go once a day, sometimes twice.

The biggest difference from prePB is that stool is smaller and softer... easier to pass.
    I used to take my phone to the bathroom to read on while I waited... now it's over so fast that would be completely pointless. LOL

I agree that fermented dairy and veg is good for the digestion, especially in those who are transitioning. The added flora is great for the digestive tract. If you can't or don't want to eat fermented foods a GOOD active probiotic that has many strains in it is another way to go.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Only improved, here. Used to go once a week or (occasionally) once every three weeks. Several times I thought about calling the hospital, but it had always been that way so I just rode it out and assumed I had defective guts. Went Primal and now I go at least twice a week!
    No shit?
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Absolutely none at all! Even with lots of water and time on the toilet. None!

But realize I was living on juice, ramen noodles and fast food. I was asking for it without knowing.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

I've always had a constipation problem. I used to drink so much magnesium it would make you cringe. I started having a tablespoon of unrefined coconut oil every day and I use Xylitol like crazy. I just recently started with the flax seed. I go more than once a day now and it's not the crampy icky diarrhea stuff it's just normal.
    A change in perspective is worth 80 IQ points - Alan Kay

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    I always LOL when people ask this question.

It's simple.
    GARBAGE IN
    GARBAGE OUT
    You are now eating less garbage, so... less garbage comes out!

What's the point of eating more garbage so more garbage comes out? What a waste of money! You're paying for poop! Just donate that extra money to charity :-P

If it's not difficult or painful to pass stool, then you are OK.
    If you are having difficulty or pain when on the toilet, try squatting to see if it goes better. Squatting to Poop - Is It Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

Other people already gave you good advice, but you shouldn't need to follow it unless you truly have constipation.
    Constipation is: you WANT to go, but you CANT.

If, when you want to go, you can, then you do not have constipation.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

wilberfan is offline Senior Member
    Dairy makes me very "bricky", if you catch my drift...
    Vegan from 1993 until Oct 16, 2010. "D'oh!!"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast