Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Berries, Berries and Berries? page

mzzmisty is offline Junior Member

Berries, Berries and Berries?

Primal Fuel
    Hi, So I was wondering what is considered a "sensible" amount of low sugar fruit and how often are we talking? Can we have fruit (like berries) every day? and if we can, then how much? 1 cup? I just am trying to get a feel for what is the low end vs high end when your eating lower sugar fruits. And then also I was wondering how often can we have apples? Thanks

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I have berries most days - usually a combination of blueberries, raspberries and strawberries, about half a cups worth (with about 1/2 cup high fat yogurt and 2 tbsp flax meal), and I am losing weight on it.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Kurt Harris of PaNu suggests limiting fructose to 15g or less per day. One to two apples' worth, basically.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    If you're eating within the context of PB, you could have as many as four or five cups of berries (a cup is about 20 grams of carbohydrates) a day, but that would be pretty expensive and unnecessary. Also, many people have found that too much fruit results in fatigue, moodiness, etc. I'd suggest enjoying a cup a day, and maybe two on days where you're active.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    It totally depends on your body and your goals.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I thought I read 1/2 cup per day if you are keeping carbs on the low end of 50 grams per day or less.

Bill_89 is offline Member
    It seems widely agreed, at least by advocates of the paleo diet, that fructose intake is something to be moderated.

Here is an interesting chart that provides the fructose content of various fruits:

Fruits and Sugars Table

^I was surprised to see that apples are actually the worst (I had expected pineapple, mangos or nectarines). I was happy to see that one of my favorites, grapefruit, is quite low. We can also easily see how fructose rich dried fruit is .

My fruit intake is probably higher than most here would recommend. It's not uncommon for me to have 1/2 grapefruit, banana, a handful of blueberries and blackberries, an apple, and a kiwi over the course of a day. I have a sweet tooth, and fruit is really the only "natural" source of sweetness. I do it for taste, not for health. I think mainstream nutritionists and media are too "easy" on fruit. You never ever hear them recommending we eat less fruit, even though the adverse effects of excess fructose seem fairly clear. I don't think it's a politically correct thing to do.
    Last edited by Bill_89; 04-04-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    I've been considering going without fruit altogether. I think it makes me hungrier, and also tilts me towards craving sweet things. I've been on the FODMAP diet to try to track my IBS triggers, and the higher fructose fruits definitely have an impact on my health although they're not specifically triggers.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Digby is offline Senior Member
    I usually have half a cup of black/rasp/ble/strawberries, as my dessert after dinner, as they are the lowest sugar fruit.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

mzzmisty is offline Junior Member

Red face Hi

Thanks everyone for the great responses, I think I'll try to keep it 1/2 cup to 1 cup a day..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast