Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green good supplement opinions page

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member

Green good supplement opinions

Primal Fuel
    So I have decided I want to take a green food supplement. I eat alot of salad but the supplments have alot of veggies and things that I do not eat regularly that I feel would be benefitial. I have found three supplements that have got great reviews. One of them has barley grass and the other two have barley, oat and wheat grass. I'm not sure if these grasses are primal or not. They aren't the actual plant so i assume it is a gray area. These are the three supplements what do you think?

BOKU International, The Elixir of Life - Organic Boku Superfood 10oz

Pure Synergy Ingredients, The Synergy Company

http://www.healthforce.com/shop?page...&category_id=1
    "Live Free or Die"

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Why would you think that barley/oat/wheat grass are "not the actual plant"? They are made from the plants, aren't they?

I must admit I find the idea of eating blenderized grass to be a little off-putting, despite the extremely hyperbolized health claims I've read some people make. For example, from one of those pages: "blood sugar, detoxification, the immune system, liver, kidneys, blood, bones, colon, regularity, circulation, and longevity*"
    * These statements have not been evaluated by the F.D.A. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease.

Whatever that means.

If the seeds are so well-defended, why wouldn't the grass be too? I mean there's presumably a reason we and other primates didn't evolve as grass-eaters... despite spending a good amount of time evolving on a savannah covered in grass...

If I felt a strong need to get more chlorophyll in my diet, I'd do it by eating a more typical soft-leafed vegetable like say, spinach.
    Last edited by Jenny; 04-04-2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: savannah comment
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Well I don't really care about the detox and colon cleanse stuff. I do think that these supplements have alot of things in them I do not eat but would benefit from. I eat pounds of spinach daily. Brocolli, brussel sprouts, and asparagus are also regulars. I do not eat blue green algae, Spirulina, Chlorella, or seaweed to name a few. I think that these things are healthy and the most convenient, and economical way to get them would be in a supplement.

As far as the grass vs grains thing. Grains are hard and have the protected coating. Grasses on the other hand don't have them. I don't have any proof of any of this but that is why I posted up the thread. To get other people who are hopefully more knowledgeable about it then I am to fill in the gaps.
    "Live Free or Die"

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Most of those things you list are foods humans have a history of eating. It's basically just the grass part that causes me to raise an eyebrow. Nobody eats grass except pandas and critters with hooves, eh?

*shrug* I'm presumably not the expert you're looking for, but you asked, so there you have it.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Anything labeled 'Superfood' is a con, and by the look of it, expensive ones at that.
    Yesterday it was Goji berries, today its dehydrated ground up kelp and broccoli. What next...
    You'll probably get the same (and much cheaper) result from a good multivitamin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonbully View Post
    I do not eat blue green algae, Spirulina, Chlorella, or seaweed to name a few.
    What makes you think you need to?

They can call it whatever they want really because I'm not buying it because of the name. Why do I think I need too? Well i guess for the same reason I think I need to eat spinach. I know it has vitamins and minerals in it that are good for me and I guess I just feel that it would be healthy. I know a gut feeling isn't very scientific but it is what it is.

I don't buy into the goji berry, acai berry, pomegranate or whatever being the end all to health but I do think they are healthy foods that should be consumed. I just don't go to the store to buy them thinking I'm buying the fountain of youth.

In the end I believe a wide variety of foods is going to give you a better over all vitamin and mineral profile. The green "super foods" just so happen to have many different foods I believe to be healthy foods in them that would broaden my food intake.

If someone comes on here and says hey X food is not good for you and here is the research then I will gladly say thank you and not consume it. Which back to the origional reason I posted this was to get feedback on the three supplements I have considered. Or even one I haven't ever seen before that may be better.
    Last edited by Bostonbully; 04-04-2011 at 05:30 PM.
    "Live Free or Die"

That's fair enough. I just think it's an expensive way to go about it.
    You only need apply your own logic to get an answer.
    'If someone comes on here and says hey X food is not good for you and here is the research then I will gladly say thank you and not consume it'.
    I'll go out on a limb and say none of these supp companys back up their claims of vital health with research either.

They won't kill you, so if spending $54.95 on a little bottle of dried herb's with virtually trace elements of anything useful in them seems worth it to you, go for it.

I just noticed the damn thread says green good not food. What the hell.

Anyways thanks for your opinion.
    "Live Free or Die"

RednGreen is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You could do a trial run with all three of the supplements you mentioned and see how you feel on them. Let us know the results- I'm curious!

I take a spirulina/women's multi-vitamin supplement because I probably don't have as balanced of a diet as I should and I know I'm not taking in enough of what I need through my food and I don't *ever* eat organ meats. In fact, I probably don't eat nearly enough meat. (You can blame my dad for terrible force feeds at the table as a child.) I know a supplement isn't the answer, but I like to think it at least helps.
    "It may be normal darling, but I'd rather be natural." -Holly Golightly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast