Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If This isn't Enough to Make You Vomit... page

Bunnyfoot is offline Member

If This isn't Enough to Make You Vomit...

Shop Now
    Surviving ground meat:

To add insult to injury, or to add profits to the packers, the industry is now putting what was once dog food into people food. It’s a new process called “ADVANCED MEAT RECLAMATION.” It all began when Eldon Roth invented a process to remove every ounce of meat from the bone. He took his idea to the CEO of IBP, Robert Peterson. In 1980 IBP was the nation’s largest beef processor and Eldon Roth approached Peterson with the hopes of selling him his newly invented equipment. Peterson was not interested in buying Roth’s equipment, but wanted to sell Roth his bones. It’s easy to remove the meat from the long bones, but a fair amount of meat exists in the backbones, which is nearly impossible to extract. The back bones also contain the spinal cord and, up until Mr. Roth came along, the vertebrae were processed into dog food.

Mr. Roth had a better idea. He founded a company called BEEF PRODUCTS. His new company began mixing the entire vertebrae, spinal cord and all, along with what the industry calls 50-50 (trimmings and fats), grinding it into a mixture of pink froth, adding ten percent anhydrous ammonia to kill pathogens such as E-coli and salmonella and selling it to Cargil, McDonald’s Corp, Burger King, the school lunch program and anyone wanting to cheapen the cost of hamburger. The use of this product lessens the cost of a pound of ground beef by about three cents.

One major problem existed—the concoction smelled like ammonia. The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) had given Roth permission to add 10% percent ammonia, but without letting anyone know, the ammonia mixture was cut to the point that it wasn’t strong enough to control the pathogens. Large recalls of ground beef took place and the USDA determined that “at least some of the product was no longer receiving the full lethality treatment.” The FDA had okayed the use of ammonia saying, without labeling, it was safe when used as a processing agent.

The Medical Dictionary describes ammonia poisoning that may occur from swallowing or breathing ammonia, which is found in household cleaners, liniments and fertilizers. The Medical Dictionary didn’t mention ground beef. Symptoms of ammonia poisoning include fever, cough, severe chest pain, temporary blindness, lip swelling, stomach pain and vomiting. “Damage is related to the amount and strength of the ammonia.” Our government (FDA) tells us to go ahead and consume this ammonia treated pink slime, but a “little dab will do you.”
    I don't care who you are, that's nasty. I know Mark has written about ground meat before - but this article is just nausea inducing. It makes me want to up-chuck every bit of hamburger I have eaten over the span of my life.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Wait, are they processing the spinal neurological tissues in there too? I thought that was illegal since nerve tissues can carry prions (the cause of BSE), which are not destroyed in cooking.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Bunnyfoot is offline Member
    This type of processing is banned if the cow is over 30 months of age.

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    Due to mad cow, no spinal cord type stuff.

Who wrote this?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Okay, all neuro tissue is banned in Canada no matter what the age of the animal, so that's why I am disturbed.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Okay, all neuro tissue is banned in Canada no matter what the age of the animal, so that's why I am disturbed.
    Canadian beef standards, while woefully behind Europe, are higher than American standards.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Snopes.com is our friend.
    snopes.com: Mechanically Separated Chicken
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

gunn parker is offline Senior Member
    This thread needs photos.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    reminds me of a strawberry smoothie.

eww... i'm glad my ground beef comes from a local butcher, and a local cow!

Kris C is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, this is why I am going to start making my own ground beef.
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast