Thread: Fasting question page

jeremy is offline Junior Member

Fasting question

Shop Now
    I do the P90X program. I dont follow the program by the book but I try and rotate resistance workouts with cardio every other day. I know that I need to eat protein after resistance workouts. Is it better to do a 24 hr. fast on my cardio days or does it really matter?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    hi jeremy.

Are you doing cardio every other day? Do you have any rest days? If not, you're probably overtraining as P90x workouts are pretty cardio-heavy from what I've seen. And adding a 24-hour fast on top of that would probably be overkill, unless by cardio you mean walking. You also don't "need" protein immediately post-workout, although it does help with building muscle. Protein intake over time is more important than over the course of a day. What are your goals?

jeremy is offline Junior Member
    I dont really have a goal to lose a certain amount of weight. Im 5'11" and weigh 193. A year ago I was up to 228 and the main reason I started working out was so I could play with my kids and not be winded after 5 minutes. I just want to put on a little more muscle and lose the belly fat. I do have at least one rest day a week. I do a couple days a week of the P90X cardio workouts.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Personally, I'm having good success following the leangains method. Google 'leangains guide' if you're want a more detailed approach, but here's a crash course: You fast for around 16 hours each day by skipping breakfast and maybe having a late lunch. You should break your fast with a post-workout meal or with a small pre-workout meal. Regardless of which you choose, the majority of your calories and carbs should be consumed post-workout. The post-workout meal should be fairly high-carb, moderate protein, low in fat. On rest days, just eat regular primal food (lowish carb) and eat less than you did on workout days.