Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: God...why nuts??? page

milkycereal is offline Senior Member

God...why nuts???

Shop Now
    Why am i addicted to nuts?? Of all foods it has to be nuts with their insane calories. Why can't i crave carrots or something or even fruit? I never crave fruit.

Even raw nuts get me. Its rarley just the salt although that doesnt help.

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    I cannot buy the ones I really like because I go through them so fast. I can't buy cashews at all. Sucks.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i had this same problem. i really like foods that i can just hold in my hand and pop into my mouth. i think crunching has something to do with it too. i used to have a real problem with chips.
    nuts were becoming too much of a snack for me, so i decided to go 30 days without them. my craving went so much that i went nearly two and a half months without eating any nuts. i just had a couple the other night...and that was it. just a couple and i was fine. try giving them up completely for a while.

climbergirl is offline Senior Member
    this is my weak spot - cashews, almonds, mac nuts - I can't eat just a few... I'm trying to employ the "out of sight out of mind" technique. sigh.
    My Journal!! (but start at page 10 lol) - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26553.html

Weather weenie and bacon-addict who wants to get back to looking and feeling fabulous.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    try giving them up completely for a while.
    +1
    My name is yodiewan and I am a nut-addict. I used to eat way more of them than I do now, but after cutting them out pretty much completely for a few weeks, I can eat them in small quantities without wanting tons more. If that doesn't work for you, you can try buying only in-the-shell nuts. The extra work involved should slow you down and discourage overconsumption.

Also, just convincing myself that nuts should not be a significant source of calories in my diet helped. When I first started Primal eating, I saw them as a pretty important part of the diet. Now I know they are non-essential and best kept as an occasional treat. If I think something is healthy for me, I can almost always eventually convince myself to do it.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    I plowed through a jar of peanut butter in about three days. It was purely peanuts and salt, so not the worst. Can't have it in the house! Maybe every few months I'll get some to indulge.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by milkycereal View Post
    Why am i addicted to nuts?? Of all foods it has to be nuts with their insane calories. Why can't i crave carrots or something or even fruit? I never crave fruit.

Even raw nuts get me. Its rarley just the salt although that doesnt help.
    Buy raw unsalted ones to start with. Count out no more than eleven. And then you have to exercise some willpower and not eat more than that. Don't have them by themselves; my usual snack if I have one is a handful of macadamias with some hard cheese and/or meat (sausage, usually).
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    I think primal robs advice is good - if you cannot control your intake of a certain food, then that food needs to go. For whatever reason, the nuts are pushing some pleasure button in your brain, thus causing you to crave them. The only way to break an addiction like that is to cut them out.
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I had to rethink nuts as an addition for flavour rather than something to eat on their own. So I will throw a few almonds into my bowl of berries and goat yogurt to add that nice flavour and crunch, but I stay away from eating them on their own (except when I need some portable food that won't go bad in my purse).

Another option is to buy them in the shell. Having to crack the nuts will slow your consumption considerably.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Heh, I'm the same with peanut butter chronyx. My wife-then-girlfirend actually ordered a 5-pound pail of it from Krema nut company for me. It lasted a while, but not nearly as long as it should have. I also used to buy multiple jars of peanut butter everytime I went to Trader Joe's. Now I limit my consumption to when I visit my grandparents. My granddad likes the Smucker's all-natural PB and I usually have a few tablespoons of it when I visit.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast