Thread: PrimaCat's Recipes page

Twibble is offline Senior Member

PrimaCat's Recipes

PrimaCat had posted some recipes that looked highly drool-worthy, then ran out of energy for posting stuff and deleted them all. She's on another forum I'm on, and I have permission to re-post her recipes for y'all. I'm going to try to keep this updated as she keeps going - I totally need to start cooking more! EVERYTHING I POSTED IN THIS THREAD IS COPIED DIRECTLY FROM HER. Not mine. All PrimaCat's.

Mussels and Shrimp in Thai-Inspired Coconut Broth
    one portion for hungry girl!

3/4 lb mussels
    3/4 cup thawed med to small shrimp, peeled and cleaned
    1/2 onion, large dice
    4 cloves garlic, smashed to remove skins and chopped
    1 med-hot or hot green or red skinny pepper or jalapeño, slice down middle, discard seeds, dice
    fresh ginger (mine is stored in freezer, lasts forever that way) - I grated until I had a nice pile, probably about 1 TBS if not frozen
    lemongrass (if you have it, mine is shredded and frozen) - I shaved about 1 TBS off the block
    1 TBS Nam Pla (oriental fish sauce, nasty smelling stuff!)
    1/2 can Coconut Milk (I only have TJ's Lite, recommend not lite)
    coconut oil for sautéing
    fresh cilantro if you have it (I had 4 small frozen cubes)

First, soak mussels in cold water for about twenty minutes, drain, discard any that are open and do not close and stay closed when pinched, then pull of the beard - scruffy little tough thing that hangs on some of them. Set aside.

Thaw shrimp in bowl of cold water if needed. Rinse and drain when thawed, no need to pat them dry.

Meanwhile, heat pan (I used a 10' enameled pan, could use saucepan) over med. heat, add coconut oil and melt, then add onion, garlic, pepper, sauté for a few minutes until onions translucent - do NOT burn garlic, very bitter!

Pour in coconut milk, add ginger and lemongrass (I added the frozen cilantro, if fresh then wait), stir and simmer for about 5 minutes. The broth will seem thick, do not worry, the mussels will release their nectar and thin it out beautifully!

Add mussels and cover. If using larger shrimp, add with mussels. If smaller, add after about 2 minutes, which I did.

When mussels are opened and shrimp are bright pink, empty it all into a bowl, sprinkle with fresh cilantro, and ENJOY!

Remember NOT to eat any mussels that do not open, they were dead before cooking, toss 'em.

Could serve two with a nice salad and a side veg. Next time I might throw a few handfuls fresh spinach in with the shrimp - yum!

Oh, I only added shrimp because the market did not have a whole pound or so of mussels, and I wanted to up the protein.

If you have red or green curry paste, you could use 1 - 2 TBS (to taste, I like it spicy!) instead of garlic, pepper, lemongrass and ginger. Add curry paste when you add the coconut milk.
    Last edited by Twibble; 04-04-2011 at 11:35 AM.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

From PrimaCat:

Salmon Shrimp Burger (all amounts approx., that is how I cook)

8 oz Salmon
    4 oz Shrimp
    1/4 onion
    4 cloves garlic
    1 - 2 tsp dill
    1/4 tsp chipotle powder OR cayenne OR black pepper
    (salt would have been good, had too much in last couple of days)
    coconut oil, butter or olive oil for cooking

I used my hand chopper to finely mince each of the first 4 ingredients, dumped in bowl, added spices, mixed all together well. Divided into two piles. Saved one for later in fridge. (could have pulsed the whole thing in the food processor, but didn't feel like getting it out - should have!)

Heated a pat of butter w/ small spash of olive oil over med. high heat, plopped one pile into pan when butter was bubbly, gently patted it down into a patty about 1/2 inch thick. Flipped after a few minutes, cooked each side to nice brown. Served with capers and juice they are packed in sprinkled over top. Next time will put capers IN the burger mix. Burger held together beautifully.

Ate this for lunch with a mixed veg sauté, yummy!

Thai-Inspired Salmon and Shrimp Meatball Soup:

I made mini-meatballs (just under 1") with the rest of the salmon shrimp patty mixture, browned them in a bit of coconut oil. Removed from pan and set aside.
    Then, in same pan, I wilted about 4 cups of fresh spinach with some garlic and cayenne powder in the oil,
    poured in just over half a can of (TJ's Lite, all I have right now) Coconut Milk,
    a splash of Nam Pla (very potent fish water, salty),
    some basil and
    the salmon shrimp balls or mini-patties.
    Simmered it for a few minutes, then enjoyed the whole thing! Delish!

Next time I make this (and would be great with just shrimp patties if no salmon, I had some frozen wild salmon with odd texture when thawed when thawed that had to be used up), INSTEAD of meatballs, which were harder to fry, I will just make mini-patties, fry one side, flip, fry other, done, nice and quick![/FONT]
    Last edited by Twibble; 04-04-2011 at 11:37 AM.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

From PrimaCat:

Sautéed Celery w/Onion and Thyme

had a package of two celery hearts that was getting soft, so washed it all, dried it, chopped it into approx. 1" long pieces
    3/4 onion, sliced thin (next time I will chop into bigger pieces)
    Thyme, approx. 1/2 tsp
    dash of Herbamare (herbal salt) or sea salt
    several twists of the peppermill
    butter for cooking

Put all of the above in a pan over med high heat in about 2 TBS butter, lowered to med. heat once it was bubbly, gave it a stir every now and then, simmered until celery was tender-crisp, approx. 15 minutes or so.

House smelled like Thanksgiving!

It was yummy, and got me to thinking about those large holiday dinners that feature stuffing - usually bread or cornbread based. I will make the above dish, chop all the veggies into big, bite-sized pieces, and serve it along with the stuffing so I have a Primal choice. Basically, any of the veggies you might normally dice up and sauté to put in your stuffing would work great - celery, onion, carrot, mushrooms, whatever you use, along with the spices and (my stuffing preference) butter or your choice of fat.

If you like oyster stuffing, add oysters. Apple, sausage and fennel, no problem! Whatever your favorite stuffing is, just omit the breading portion and go for it! Any diabetics at the table intent on behaving so they can have dessert will appreciate your efforts as well

You could sauté in a pan or roast in the oven for a whole other dimension of fabulous flavor!

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Information on Primal Thai ingredients from PrimaCat:

Well, for starters, today is only day 12 for me going Primal, but as Thai is one of my favorite cuisines - also love Persian, Korean, Vietnamese, Szechwan, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Croation - well, I love food, but Thai is way up there!

Have only started trying to recreate dishes. The hardest part of shopping in an oriental market, for me as an english speaker and reader, is that many of the products do not have english on them, and there is a language barrier at the market I go to, so I spend a lot of time trying to figure things out (I had to choose between about 10 different bottles of fish sauce!). It is a nice, large market, people travel a ways to shop there. Takes me about 25 minutes driving each way, not near anyplace else I usually go.

Bring your patience, reading glasses if needed , and wear comfy shoes!

My market has fresh meats, seafood and veggies at excellent prices, so if yours does, definitely check out that section. We have recipes for Korean BBQ ribs, easier and cheaper to buy the pre-cut rib meat there, for example, though don't buy the bottled sauce (delicious) as it has stuff we can't have. If you don't have the cookbooks I'll send you the recipe, these are fabulous!

At my market, IF I liked duck, I could even pick out a freshly roasted one and they would hack it to bits and serve it to me if I wanted it - or sell me a whole one to take home. I have included links so you can see some products, you may end up with a different brand, you may have to copy and paste the links if they don't work right!

OK, a great site to check out, both for ingredient info, cookware AND recipes, is
    Thai Food, Groceries, Cookware and Asian recipes at ImportFood.com
    They even have lots of videos you can watch of the foods being cooked, I love this site.

Also, you can read the ingredients - in english, at the end of the product description - to make sure you are staying Primal. I haven't ordered from them yet, but after compiling this list, I think I just might place one, since I have been needing to make a trip to my store for over six months, but I dread it because I get confused easily still with my cognitive issues and lose a lot of time there. Still, would love to pick up fresh kafir lime leaves, fresh lemongrass, chinese cabbage, fresh Young Coconuts, Korean BBQ rib meat and a few other things.

Depending on your issues, watch out for MSG, Soy and Sugar (and wheat, obviously).

For a first time, stocking up trip, some ingredients would be (remember, many of these will last a long time and you only need one, some, like for me coconut milk and green curry paste, I buy extra cause I use a lot of it!):

coconut milk - without thickening agents like guar gum, no need for that - buy a bunch! (Trader Joe's has a great one, also Goya brand from the Spanish/Mexican section of your market has no thickeners (I found 4 different brands at the market on Sunday, this was the only one without thickeners - why thin with water and then thicken???)
    coconut water, sweet, refreshing drink, especially after a workout or when my blood sugar is low - paying way too much at HFS, is just coconut - not needed for cooking, but lovely to have
    coconut oil - can also be purchased at market or HFS, Bethany tells me that Spectrum is mild, not strong coconut flavor like mine - this is solid and white at room temp
    Nam Pla fish sauce Thai fish sauce, Golden Boy brand 24 oz bottle, available online from ImportFood.com this is the one I have, now I see it has sugar, good thing I use such small amounts! Mine is labled Fish Sauce, not Nam Pla. GLASS bottle, not plastic
    This is supposed to be "the best", aged 2 years, has 1% sugar Thai fish sauce, Tra Chang brand, available online from ImportFood.com A bottle lasts quite a while, you only use a spash or two at a time. All the online ones list sugar, I'm gonna have to live with it, gives a slight edge in flavor that I really enjoy
    green curry paste (also red and yellow, green is just MY favorite, but enjoy and use them all!
    Rice wine vinegar
    sesame oil, regular and toasted (perfect for a little drizzle before serving!)
    rice noodles if you plan on having rice now and then, the really skinny, fine ones that look like very fine white twine wrapped in loops - this is the one I use
    Rice vermicelli, Sen Mee, Wai Wai brand, 17.5 oz, available online from ImportFood.com
    rice wrappers mine are called Spring Roll Skin by Asian Boy
    lemongrass (I chose a bag of chopped lemongrass from the freezer, so it would last longer, but you cannot remove it when done cooking, like a stalk of lemongrass, so it changes the texture of the finished product a bit - however, when they slice it in little rounds (like you would the white end of a green onion), you just eat it with your soup, or whatever, so it will not hurt you.
    Lemongrass Powder - will try this when my supply runs out, better texture
    Lemongrass powder, 1.4 oz, available online from ImportFood.com
    Tamari, San-J is great, wheat/gluten free and low sodium - but more likely to find this in health food store
    White Tea bags, 100% OG, Premium Peony, by Prince of Peace - best I've had, has some caffeine, is lightly sweet with no sweetener added, I love Green Tea but it can be bitter, this is becoming my new favorite, especially iced - gave up coffee since I cannot have my milk (I am dairy free now)
    Chili Garlic Sauce, a nice milder (!) one is by Huy Fong Foods, made in USA, have actually seen this at larger markets. If you go for another brand, watch out for sugar and soy (if soy is a problem for you) - can be used as a condiment, marinade or cooking sauce, looks like spicy spaghetti sauce in an 18 oz jar Chili Garlic Sauce, Huy Fong 16 oz, available online from ImportFood.com
    Tamarind Concentrate - this is on my list, have seen several recipes using it that I had to skip Thai tamarind concentrate, 16 oz jar, available online from ImportFood.com
    OR Tamarind Paste - this might be better Thai tamarind paste, 17.50 oz jar, available online from ImportFood.com
    Shrimp Paste I use this for broths, seasoning, even in risotto if using seafood (rare treat from now on!), little goes a long way! I've been out way too long! Thai shrimp paste, 13 oz, available online from ImportFood.com
    Thai Ground Chili Peppers - I'll buy this next trip, will probably go with finely ground Ground Thai chile peppers, available online from ImportFood.com this way I don't have to rely on fresh all the time - BUT I love spicy foods, YMMV
    Prik Thai, Thai White Pepper Powder - will also buy this next time, want it for jerky, will probably use it on everything! Thai Pepper Powder, Prik Thai, available online from ImportFood.com
    Sushi Nori big squares of seaweed for making sushi, we have a great Primal recipe, you can get a sushi rolling mat, can't find mine, been using parchment paper

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    From PrimaCat:

Tonight for dinner I made Spinach Coconut Milk Soup with Curried Shrimp, from page 91 of the Quick and Easy Cookbook (rec'd yesterday from Amazon).

I had to convert the recipe for one, so I used one can of the coconut milk, about 1 cup of thawed small shrimp, and I used coconut oil to sauté the shrimp instead of the butter recommended. Used the full amount of fresh spinach, though nice to see they allow for frozen.

Also, used a bit more curry powder than called for (for the entire recipe!) and a nice dash of cayenne pepper, and instead of salt I used a good splash of fish sauce.

So, I cannot review the recipe as written - never gonna happen, sorry! - but the recipe itself recommends using it as a launch pad for your creativity, and my dinner was delicious

It drives me crazy to see people review recipes on Epicurious.com: Recipes, Menus, Cooking Articles & Food Guides -
    give the recipe a low rating - and then go on to tell all the changes they made to the recipe! If you are going to review a recipe, I think you should follow the recipe

There are quite a few recipes in this book that I am eager to try, and despite the odd division of recipes in the contents (to me, anyway, it is divided by meals, and though I often eat dinner for breakfast, many don't, and it just seems kinda strange to me), there IS an index in this book of ingredients in the back, so this helps a lot.

The first cookbook has a table of contents that makes more sense, to me, as it is divided by meats, etc., instead of specific meals, BUT it does not have an index.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly