Thread: Pressure cooker beef stock page

psdm85 is offline Junior Member

Pressure cooker beef stock

Primal Fuel
    A local grass fed farmer gave me a massive 40 lb bag of marrow bones for free, usually I'll roast them in the oven and eat them with a marrow spoon. I was thinking of using my pressure cooker to make some stock, but am a little unsure on how I should proceed. I have an All American 921 cooker (21.5 quarts), it's fairly hefty. Besides beef bones, I was planning on adding an oxtail or two, miscellaneous vegetables, and some meat scraps. Should I be adding anything else? I'm also curious as to how much water is required. Should I let the pressure reach 5, 10, or 15 psi. It takes some time for the pressure to build up, so will the cooking time include the time required to build up pressure? Thanks for any help.

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    I have the same pressure cooker and it sure earns its keep around here. Your ingredients sound pretty good, I'd add salt & maybe some other seasonings to taste and water to cover the bones. Pressure depends on your elevation, it's 15 lbs. for me at 6200 ft., but I think anything below 3000 ft. is good with 10 lbs. Check this with your manual or a good cookbook to confirm.

Get your lid on nice and evenly tight, bring it to a boil and let it vent for several minutes before you put the regulator weight on. Timing starts at the point to reach desired pressure. When the time is up, turn off the heat and let the pressure drop to zero before you open the lid.

Drain Bead is offline Senior Member
    Roast your bones before you put them into the cooker. I roast my veggies (carrot, celery, garlic cloves, onion) along with the bones as well. My pressure cooker has a recipe that calls for bones and stew meat--I usually just use a shank cut for my "stew meat," as that has a decent amount of meat on it. Your oxtail should provide enough meat--just make sure you roast them before making the stock. It's so much better that way.

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Roast first, wow, never too old to learn. Thanks, DB!