Thread: Cooking minced pork at 220 F for an hour is that hot enough ? page

Acteon is offline Senior Member

Cooking minced pork at 220 F for an hour is that hot enough ?

Primal Fuel
    I'm following a recipe for foie gras. In it It called for mincing the liver with minced pork shoulder. Since I don't yet have a meat grinder, I blended the liver with the eggs in my vitamix and instead of using pork shoulder that I mince myself, I used minced pork meat.

The recipe calls for cooking it in the oven at 220 Farenheit for an hour. That seems to be a short time & temperature for cooking pork as I remember my mom cooking pork roasts for several hours in the oven.

Are those cooking temps safe for pork ?

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Yes, provided that all of the meat reaches the appropriate temps, which you're cooking well above that temp (like 160 or so), so you'd be fine.
    SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I'd suggest getting a meat thermometer. It's hard to tell you if that's long enough because it depends on how much meat you're cooking, how dense it is, if it's thinly spread or not, and so on. You want to be sure the middle of the meat reaches safe minimum temperature.

I would be much more cautious with pre-ground meats than with some you minced yourself. Commercial meat processing greatly increases the risk of bacterial contamination (more surface area exposed in the cutting facility and so on).
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Pork is good to go after 135 degrees. Only way to know for sure is with a thermometer.

Pork roasts or steaks are safe at 135, but store-bought ground meat should be fully cooked through, meaning 160 or more for internal temperature.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Jornaim is offline Junior Member
    I roast pork loins at 250. They're usually done in about 1.5 hrs at a temp of 155 plus tenting for about 30-60 mins. I use a thermometer.

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    Too many variables, including oven position, thermostat on the oven, the bakeware choice. I second the idea of getting a good (digital) meat thermometer, it'll save you having to worry.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    The high temperature was due to concerns about trichinosis. I understand this is no lomger a concern as feeding practices which contributed to it have changed.

The trich concern is why they suggested cooking all pork to well done. There's no problem in cooking roasts or steaks less these days. My concern over ground meat from commercial sources is the high risk of e.coli contamination. A friend of mine almost died from it a few years ago after eating poorly prepared steak tartare in a restaurant. Any ground meat, unless you grind it yourself or get it from a highly reliable source, should be fully cooked.

Owly's Journal