Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me gain some healthy weight! page

JonnyH is offline Senior Member

Help me gain some healthy weight!

Primal Fuel
    I know this has probably been posted on here on numerous occasions, so sorry for that.
    But I would like to gain some weight, as healthily as possible!
    Im 59, 138lbs, very slim, I look very gaunt, I have always found it hard to put weight on, even on the CW diet, including lots of carbs, I find it even harder now on the PB diet!
    I know Ill have to gain some fat, but would like to put on some muscle too.
    I have started to weight train several times a week, I do a couple of sprints sessions on the bike, with some walks as well each week.
    I have just started to include sweet potatoes to my main meal of the day, and now drink un-homoginised milk each day too, so that should help.
    When I have used fitday recently, I seem to be not eating enough, I tend to eat 3 main meals a day, with 2 or 3 snacks. Id like to break the snacks, they just seem to be out of habit really.

So, summary of my questions:

Whats the best way to gain some healthy weight?
    What are the best calorie dense healthy foods to add to ramp up the calories?
    Has anyone actually gained weight on this way of life? If so Id love to hear how youve done it.
    Do I cut the cardio, bike rides, walks etc.?
    Would IF be good? Making sure I eat more than I need when I do eat each day.

Thanks.

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member
    if you are looking to gain weight/muscle

1) eat like crazy (if you are doing primal, then eat sweet potato with every meal), look into the bodybuilding diet and replace non-paleo options with paleo ones
    2) stop doing cardio
    3) lift heavy in the gym

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    (All this assumes you want to add significant weight.)

Learn to squat at least, if not the other basic lifts. Squat heavy and often (3x/week) once you have form down. Consider a modified squats and milk routine.

Stop doing any cardio.

Eat way more than you think you need.

Do not IF.

Also-details on your workout and diet would be immensely helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Also-details on your workout and diet would be immensely helpful.
    Hi,

Thanks for reply, my workouts used to be all bodyweight stuff, pressups, pull-ups, handstand work etc. but I have just started to do weights, mainly power cleans, deadlifts, bench press and shoulder press, I do squats, but havent got a decent squat stand, so struggle using heavy weights while squatting, I'm looking to buy a power rack for that.
    As for diet, breakfast is usually leftover meat, beef, fish, lamb etc with some veg, half an avocado, some greek yoghurt and some coconut milk.
    Lunch is usually the same as breakfast, with a small amount of fruit and sometimes cheese.
    Evening meal is again so kind of meat with steamed veg with lots of butter, I've started to add a swee potatoe. I have also started to have a desert of a handful of berries in double cream or coconut milk.
    I snack on macamadia nuts, almonds and a spoonful of coconut oil
    I have red wine 2-3 times a week with my evening meal, mainly 1 smal glass, no coffee, de-caff or herbal teas to drink, along with water.
    I do sometimes have a scoop of whet protein powder after workouts.
    As I said in my first message, using fitday I discovered I do need to eat more!
    Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by lardomuncher View Post
    if you are looking to gain weight/muscle

1) eat like crazy (if you are doing primal, then eat sweet potato with every meal), look into the bodybuilding diet and replace non-paleo options with paleo ones
    2) stop doing cardio
    3) lift heavy in the gym
    Thanks for reply, I've started using sweet potatoes, they are so nice, my fav part of my dinner now!
    When you say lift heavy, do you mean keep reps low and weight high, as oppose to light weight with lots of reps?
    I'll cut the cardio.
    Thanks again.

Try 20 rep breathing squats, maybe using front squats if you don't want to jerk the weight and set it on your back.

For most people in your situation, especially eating primal/clean, they have to mindfully force themselves to eat more.

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member
    many different schools of thought out there, depends what works for you

one approach is the weight your are lifting should be light enough to do at least 8 reps and heavy enough that you can't do more than 12 (6-9 sets per body part); 1 body part per week

some say that you should stay in 4-6 rep range

this of course is more along the lines with traditional bodybuilding and conflicts with primal fitness; but i think everyone should do what works for them and modify things according to their goals

Quote Originally Posted by lardomuncher View Post

this of course is more along the lines with traditional bodybuilding and conflicts with primal fitness; but i think everyone should do what works for them and modify things according to their goals
    Hi

What sort of training would be more for primal fitness? I thought lifting weights was all part of the PB.

Cheers

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Try 20 rep breathing squats, maybe using front squats if you don't want to jerk the weight and set it on your back.

For most people in your situation, especially eating primal/clean, they have to mindfully force themselves to eat more.
    So, this is what I have just done:

10min cycle from work
    Chins 3x8
    Bench press 1x8 on 35kg, 1x7 on 39kg, 1x7 on 44kg
    Power cleans 1x6 on 39kg, 2x5 on 44kg
    Deadlifts 1x5 on 65kg, 1x5 on 69kg, 1x5 on 79kg
    Squats 1x8 on 75kg, 1x7 on 85kg, 1x7 on 95kg
    Shoulder press 3x3 on 35kg

Yes I know the weights are pretty pathetic, but I'm just starting here!

As soon as I finished I had 200ml of coconut milk with 15g whey protein
    1 hour later I had:
    1 organic sausage(grilled), 1 slice bacon(grilled), 2 eggs fried in butter, 2 small pieces of leftover chicken, steamed veggies with butter, half a raw onion, raw garlic, 1 sweet potato with butter and cinammon.
    Followed by a handful of strawberries, some creme fraiche, with a sprinkling of shredded coconut.

I'm stuffed now!

Am I on the right track with the training and eating?

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast