Thread: Urban Foraging page

TrPAssasin is offline Member

Urban Foraging

Primal Fuel
    This is something I like to do on my days off, it takes me back to my Primal roots, and takes care of my moving slowly and LHT. Urban Foraging.

Today's Adventure:
    I live in footscray, Victoria. So, I put on my homemade huaraches and decided to walk to Yarraville a couple K's away. Now here in Australia certain fruits are in season, namely citrus (lemons/Limes) and olives are big right now, and their EVERYWHERE. So once I got to the shops in Yarraville I went to the butcher and checked out their selection, but bought nothing. Then I went to the Op Shop and bought a couple 1 litre preserving jars. Then I grabbed a couple of bags from the fruit grocer.

Then I started heading back to Footscray on a meandering route. I grabbed a handful of kumquats off a small tree hanging over the sidewalk. I stopped at the park and did some LHT: 3 sets of, 25 push ups, 25 bench dips, 60sec planks. All done non-stop no rest. Followed by alternating pull ups on the monkey-bars (pull head to one side, then the other) 3 sets until failure, walked to the drinking fountain, drank and settled into a Grok Squat to eat the kumquats.

After that I wandered through the neighborhoods heading home. I found many lemon trees and ended up with about 2 kilos worth. Next, I found some olive trees on a median and got about a pound of those (black and ripe), and just before the university I found a hedge made of rosemary. Then, just across from the Uni I found a pack of unopened sponges, lucky me!

Just as I was about home I realized I had lost my sunglasses somewhere so I had to backtrack the entire way at an increased pace because it was starting to get stormy. So, I'm rushing through the neighborhoods frantically looking for them (adding a bit of primal stress: trying to get to shelter before the storm). Alas, I didn't find them and slowed my pace to make my way home with my day's gatherings.

During this time I tried out the RunKeeper App for Android. It's actually a really good app, and free. It tracks, maps, and tells you your pace as you move. I just set it to 'walking' and it did all the work. It also sends you email updates when you beat your personal records. Oh, and it tracks Cals burnt as well if you're interested. Plus, you can leave notes on your trips that say where you found your fruits for next time.

All in all I walked 12.46k, and came back with: 2kilos (most likely organic) Lemons, .5k Fresh Olives (also probably organic), rosemary, and sponges (definitely not organic). So now I'm going to use my new jars to preserve the lemons and olives.

And that's Urban Foraging.
    Last edited by TrPAssasin; 04-04-2011 at 12:20 AM.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Sounds fun. I'll do that with berries in the summer.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    That's pretty awesome.

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    We've got some friends who live a stone's throw from that giant farmers market (University Hall?) in Melbourne.
    Don't know if it's near you, but that place is a blessing. I could spend hours foraging in there.

TrPAssasin is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_o View Post
    We've got some friends who live a stone's throw from that giant farmers market (University Hall?) in Melbourne.
    Don't know if it's near you, but that place is a blessing. I could spend hours foraging in there.
    I do a lot of my shopping locally: Vic Markets (for organics/grassfed), Yarraville (grassfed), and footscray/saigon markets for everything else, and Coles for cheap kangaroo steaks.

And I walk through the neighborhoods for in season produce.
    Last edited by TrPAssasin; 04-04-2011 at 04:06 PM.