Thread: Friendly Competition page

robbie1512 is offline Member

Friendly Competition

Shop Now
    My mate and I started a competition about 5 weeks ago who could get the strongest/best musculature/least bodyfat (so the fittest) by the 1st June. We measured oursleves and our abilities and took photos at the start and have barely seen or talked to each other since. We did this as a method for motivation and as there is pride and money on the line, it is getting pretty competitive now!
    Now the reason I thought many PB'ers would be interested in this is that my mate is following a fairly standard reduced calorie diet and a silly bodybuilding (puffy muscle) routine, while I am obviously eating primally, sprinting each week, going for some long walks and doing Stronglifts and calisthenics and crossfit.
    We are both pretty similar height, age, weight, build (I am slightly taller and was carrying a bit more bf than him but for arguments sake pretty similar). So basically this is a competition between 'The Normal Fitness Routine' and 'The Primal Fitness routine'.
    5 weeks in and we saw each other yesterday and unfortunately he is beating me at this stage. He has put on a fair amount of muscle (puffy but still muscle) and is considerably stronger than he was. I have gained almost no muscular size, but my body feels more 'dense' and I am a little bit stronger than I was. After all my diet changes and running I have lost no visible bf but I do feel more energetic.
    Starting Stats: 181cm, 77kg, 14.9% bf, Squat 30kg 5x5, Bench 55kg 5x5, Deadlift 0, Bodyweight Chins 7-8, Pushups 15, Plank 95secs
    5 weeks in: Squat 55kg 5x5, Bench 65kg 5x5, Deadlift 70kg 1x5, Chins with extra 5kg 3x3, Pushups 26

I will keep updating this thread with progress and the final results if enough PB'ers are interested.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I say remove cheat days and go low carb for the duration of the competition. I have a similar competition, and I'm gaining on my bodybuilder friend from a formerly "oh hell no!" physique.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Even if both of you guys get equally stronger and your physique both looks good. In the end you will have done it with less inflammation and more long term sustainability.

I have tried the conventional approach to diet and fitness. And I have seen my friends go through it as well. Everyone eventually falls off the wagon and takes a break. But with paleo/primal it is so much more effortless. Still hard work getting stronger but the diet portion and the frequency of workouts (not doing chronic workouts) is so much better.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Yeah I am 3 weeks into primal eating and no real physical fat loss results yet but hopefully soon. I feel noticeably more energetic and generally cheery though, but I can't tell whether that is a bit of a placebo effect. Don't worry I'm not expecting for any extra adipose tissue to just melt away under my skin, but I was hoping to at least see some visible results by now, especially with following a fairly active lifestyle fitness routine.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member

Progress being measured by how much we have improved in the big compound lifts and main calisthenic exercises, muscular size and density, visual guage, before and after photos, bodyfat being measured (more important for me than him) and body measurements taken every 2 weeks.
    I have noticed in the past 2 weeks, since I have really strated to focus on good diet and cardio with my weights, my muscular density has improved, but the fat covering seems to have gotten softer and 'squishier' too... I'm going to try and eat more lean meats and less of everything I think.

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robbie1512 View Post
    I have noticed in the past 2 weeks, since I have really strated to focus on good diet and cardio with my weights, my muscular density has improved, but the fat covering seems to have gotten softer and 'squishier' too... I'm going to try and eat more lean meats and less of everything I think.
    Usually when my fat gets softer and squishier, it means it's LEAVING!

NeoBerserker is offline Senior Member
    Crossfit is not going to be the best way to go about this. Crossfit Football would be a better approach, as it emphasizes more strength. When you do crossfit you sacrifice some muscle gain for endurance. I really do not know the best way to go about this, but i would probably try doing crossfit football, but take the workouts easier than you normally would, and i would stay low carb (no fruit).

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robbie1512 View Post
    My mate and I started a competition about 5 weeks ago who could get the strongest/best musculature/least bodyfat (so the fittest) by the 1st June. We measured oursleves and our abilities and took photos at the start and have barely seen or talked to each other since. We did this as a method for motivation and as there is pride and money on the line, it is getting pretty competitive now!
    Now the reason I thought many PB'ers would be interested in this is that my mate is following a fairly standard reduced calorie diet and a silly bodybuilding (puffy muscle) routine, while I am obviously eating primally, sprinting each week, going for some long walks and doing Stronglifts and calisthenics and crossfit.
    Sounds awesome, but I'd like to point out that you guys seem to be competing for aesthetics, not fitness (as you originally put it). You took photos, measurements, etc, and are competing to see who looks best in the end (most muscular, lowest bf%, etc).

Don't be suprised if your bodybuilding buddy ends up winning this thing (if he knows what he's doing). There's a reason BBers train and diet the way they do -- it works very well (for a short/specific window of time) for getting them the look they want. PBF will get you there too, with many additional benefits, and in a much healthier and more sustainable way -- but probably not as quickly as the traditional BB routine.

I suggest that you guys have a little competition at the end to see who's the fittest. Involve strength exercises, test muscular endurance, race each other over a couple distances (maybe 100m sprint and 1 mile run), and whatever other challenges you guys can think to throw in -- now that'd be fun!

@ tapper47 -ok well I have no idea what fat 'feels' like before you start losing it as I have never done it before!
    @ neobeserker - the crossfit I have been doing IS for endurance! This links to my next statement>
    @ ciep - Ok good point I didn't point out, the main goal for this course is STRENGTH & FITNESS! That includes who is the strongest doing the big lifts, who can do the calisthenic exercises with extra weight, who can do the most repetions of calisthenics, who can jump higher, etc
    Yes we both want to look hella good as well, but the main purpose of the comp is strength and fitness and to best measure who has made lean muscle gains, I believe bf test and visual inspection to be the best way.
    I know that bb style routines do get results, I have seen many people I know do it. But that is what is making this competition so competitive! It would be a useless competition if my mate was doing a program that was garaunteed to get no results. Plus I don't mind being the underdog!
    But if my mate tries to test me at who can do the heaviest bicep curl (atm he would win) I would get him to challenge me at who can deadlift the most, do the most chins with an extra 10kg or who can finish the crossfit wod balboa in the shortest time.