Thread: Can someone give me a realistic time-frame for my fitness goal? Please? page

CaveMama is offline Member

Can someone give me a realistic time-frame for my fitness goal? Please?

Primal Fuel
    I am female, 28 years old, 5'7, 126lbs. I am in bad shape. I used to be a runner, blah blah blah, you get the idea.

People look at me , especially when I'm fully clothed, and think I'm in great shape, because I have good genes but I literally cannot do one push-up or pull-up. Also, I have a flat butt which I am very ashamed of. My thighs definitely don't looked toned. I've been eating PB for about a month now and feeling better but my body composition hasn't changed.

So, if I'm serious about this and start strength training and doing yoga TODAY and continue eating a primal diet, how long before I can:

Do 20 push-ups? 20 Pull-ups? Have a nice, strong butt and thighs?

2 months? 6 months? 2 years? I honestly don't know. Thanks for any advice!

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    If you're training solidly, you'll start seeing results within a few weeks. In the army in my late 20s I went from totally unfit to doing 100 situps, 20 pushups and running 5km in 12 weeks. That was intense though.

I do a lot of modified exercise at the moment, pushups on bent knees or against a bench, that kind of thing.

As for a shapely butt, I dunno - get into those squats!!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Weighted donkey kicks (slow ones) will give you better glutes than squats. Do squats for overall lower body fitness, of course!

4-6 weeks is average for seeing results.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    I was you almost exactly, same stats and I would have described myself exactly as you did! After almost a year of a whole body lifting routine and about a year and a half of doing a squats (that was my only exercise for awhile), I have cured the flat butt problem and I think I remember it happening quite quickly with the squats, maybe a few months? I had done tons of other butt exercises in the past (pilates, body weight type stuff) and didn't see any results from that.

As for pushups I have been doing the bench press for almost a year and can still only do 3-5 push-ups plus some on-my-knees push-ups after those. Pull-ups? Forget about it! I'm not even close.

I think I have gained about 5-6lbs of muscle since August. I'm at a place where I think if I lost 5 lbs of fat my new muscle would really show and I'd have some nice shape. I was 126 when I started all of this and I'm now 132. The gain has been in muscle, but I haven't lost the last 5 pounds of fat yet (I keep cheating on my diet. I still think I need another 10 lbs of muscle though, which will probably take about a year I think. I'm guessing that will be enough to be as strong as I think I'd like to be and where it sounds like you'd like to be too.

I just got out my lifting chart which only goes back 7 months (I don't know where the old one is). It says in that 7 months I have increased my squats from 90# to 155#, my bench from 55# to 100#.

Hope this helps!

CaveMama is offline Member
    Thanks guys!
    Paleomom, that's encouraging that you started out where I am!!

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    20 push-ups? Probably several months

20 pull-ups? Probably several years

Just take it one day at a time. Good luck!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Pull-ups also heavily (pun intended) depends on how overweight you are. I'm still overweight (albeit no longer obese) and I'm indeed making a lot more progress with push-ups rather than pull-ups. If you have access to a gym you can use the pull-down machine instead - the advantage is that you can more easily and reliably perform the exercise with lower resistance. I'm currently doing 5x5 chin-ups at 70kg, and 70kg is just about my lean mass.