Thread: Baseball is back! hot dogs? sausage? brats? page

BStoneFitz is offline Member

Baseball is back! hot dogs? sausage? brats?

So... baseball is back, bringing with it warmer weather! Perfect for grilling outside and enjoying a cold beverage.

I've been primal since January and loving it. I know hot dogs aren't the greatest health food, but does anyone else enjoy them as part of the PB lifestyle? (no bun of course)

I like to grill up a sausage every now and then as well. I'm thinking of trying wrapping my links in some romaine lettuce to enjoy without a fork.

Also... anyone tried gluten-free beer?

JanuaryEmber is offline Senior Member
    I recently had some Whole30 ok hotdogs made by Applegate (Ingredients: Beef, Water, Contains Less Than 2% Of The Following: Sea Salt, Celery Powder, Onion Powder, Spices, Paprika.). They did not taste like 'mystery meat' hot dogs, they had a more 'grown-up' flavor to them. Natural Hot Dogs But I thought it was worth a mention anyway.
    "Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I get bison hot dogs from a woman at the farmers market that are awesome. Hot dogs made from pastured, grassfed meat should be pretty okay (as long as there's not soy or such in there). Same thing with sausages. Keep the cured stuff to a minimum, though. I find lettuce makes a really good wrap.

Gluten-free beer varies from awful to pretty good. I have a favorite (Messagere Red Ale), but it's only available in Canada from what I know.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

A lot of hot dogs have fillers in them....and those fillers are often grain-based. Be careful what type you're choosing!
    -Krystal

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member
    i think hot dogs and sausages can be great on primal diet, just depends who makes them and what ingredients are in them; the only thing i don't like is the salt amount they put into them

peril is offline Senior Member
    Some sausages have soy protein as well
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Drain Bead is offline Senior Member
    People are going to start thinking I work for Emile if I keep doing this, but I feel like I have to plug my pork provider, because his sausages are kickass. I love the chorizo and the sweet Italian.

Drain Bead is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and GF beer -- Daura is the only one I've liked, but what I generally do is mix red wine and sparkling water 50-50 over ice. I call it "ghetto sangria."

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I often go for a dry apple cider (that's hard cider for you American types). You can get it on tap at a lot of bars here, so it looks and feels sort of like having a beer. That or whiskey and soda.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal