Thread: Beef stock help page

KellyS is offline Member

Beef stock help

Shop Now
    I have just made my first pot of stock. I roasted marrow bones first then simmered in a mirepoix. I then strained everything out of the stock and let it reduce further. Finally I cooled the stock and then put it in the refrigerator. My question is should I skim off any of the fat before making the soup? I certainly love fat, just wondering if there would be too much fat? Maybe there is never such thing as too much fat.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    How much fat do you have?

It acts as a seal over the top of the stock, helping to preserve it.... Personally if there's only a little I would leave it. If it's an inch thick slab, I would chip off what I need to brown onions etc for the soup, that the stock would later go into. There's a lot of flavour in that there fat.

Om nom nom...

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    What she said. I drain off the fat after roasting bones for stock, and lift more fat off the cooled stock at the end of the process, and save it all for frying and roasting. What I drain off at the beginning is pure white good stuff; what's lifted off at the end has more impurities, wouldn't keep so well and the extra flavour means it doesn't work for everything. (But it'll work superbly to brown and soften the vegetables for your stock-based soup. Isn't it great that one process provides you with two ingredients?)

All the animal fat I've saved must have saved me a small fortune in ghee and coconut oil, it tastes amazing - and it's just satisfying to eat more of the animal, isn't it?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    This is slightly off the original topic, but I figured I'd post here instead of creating a new thread. I recently used a ham hock when cooking greens (Boiled the hock in water for a few hours, then added the collards for about 30 minutes). I didn't want to toss the cooking liquid (pot likker + weak bone broth), but it was taking up too much space in the fridge, so I reduced it (4-5 cups down to 2 Tbsp). So here's my question:

Does reducing stock way down (to a glaze basically) preserve all the beneficial properties? Seems like you're just removing water so it'd still be good for you, just more concentrated. If so, this would be a great way to store alot more stock in MUCH less space (it could be reconstituted if needed).

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Yodiewan, that is EXACTLY how to store stock! It forms a thick gel, which freezes very well too. Just add water to get the strength you want when using it again. Having said that _ I hardly ever do reduce stock, as I tend to use it almost as soon as I make it! I love stock.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Sweet. I was inspired by Funkadelic Flash and others who talk about the Perfect Health Diet to incorporate more gelation and broth into my diet so I try to eat/drink at least some every day. I've just been freezing it and taking out a jar when I need it, but I could free up a good deal of freezer space if I concentrated my stock into a glaze.