Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nature's Path of Well Being; Dana's Perspectives page 2

zsadie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Today is better, still quite under the weather, but at least I'm functioning and at work!

Breakfast
    Bumble Bar
    Banana
    Green tea

Lunch
    Left over hamburger patty from Monday (pan cooked with butter, fresh oregano, and rosemary)
    Green apple slices
    Sheep cheese feta
    herb lettuce mix
    Raspberry dressing
    Broccoli (from Monday)
    Ginger tea

snack
    Red grapes

Dinner
    Steak
    Green leafy salad
    "Achievement begins with belief."

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson-

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27309.html

Well, I've made it to Colorado and am pretty much all settled. I've been applying for jobs left and right but so far no one is biting. It's been almost 2 months since I've been here. I happened to move to the second largest city in Colorado on the Western Slope where the unemployment rate is highest. I thought I would have the best chance with all the experience I've had even considering companies can't find qualified individuals to fill the many positions that are available. It's so strange. Yet, I'm glad I'm not working! I got my wish to have a few months off and indeed its been nice, albeit worrisome financially. Today is the first day that I will be working the hours I've allotted myself to begin the stages of building my art business. This time is precious and the first few months it was pretty much all about getting settled, unpacking, and getting my trailer all situated. I love my trailer! It's so comfy and very 'home sweet home' feeling. Squatting on my friends property, I now can enjoy horses in my backyard! Yaaay! That's a biggie for me. I even rescued a neglected horse from next door. A 25 year old mare whose hooves were in horrible shape. She has a little arthritis, but moves around nicely enough and plays with the my friend's other two horses. Once she has good strong rock crushing barefoot hooves, I'm hoping to do some light riding with her. I've put her on some soaked beet pulp and flaxseed supplement that should help with her joints and movement. I can already see improvement.

With the increased activity level I've experienced since being here between moving and lifting heavy boxes, taking walks with my friend down the rural roads in our neighborhood, and taking care of horses, I've noticed a bit of toning going on. It's now on to eating better!

The last few months have been a whirlwind of fast food/restaurant eating. I've made some good choices and some bad choices; mostly bad. I'm back on track as of yesterday and feel pretty good about my meal plan I created for the next 3 weeks. I've given myself some IFing times, but I'm flexible enough that if I'm not hungry for any particular meal I can skip it.

Here's my plan for the day:

Breakfast
    Coconut pancakes
    Coconut shavings
    blueberries
    raspberries
    light drizzle of maple syrup
    mint green tea
    (my word was this yummy!)

Lunch
    Turkey Slices
    tomato
    romaine lettuce
    avocado
    hummus (I know GRAIN! but there are some foods that I just don't want to give up and this is one of them)
    goat cheese
    olive oil wrap

Dinner
    Salmon
    Green leafy salad

Snack (if I'm hungry enough)
    Celery
    Almond butter
    handful of grapes

Work on art business in between.

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson-

I made tomatoes stuffed with ground bison and eggs today. Not too bad, but I doubt I'll be doing it again like the book. If I cook it again, I'm cooking the eggs over easy and then piling them on top. Broiling with the fresh eggs, I found at five minutes the tomatoes were already falling apart, but the eggs were not done to my liking. I don't mind runny yolk, but the white part I can't stand even a little runny and indeed this was the case. I ate it, but was gagging a bit.

trying again to get back on track. Old habits die hard! I have to treat my addiction to fast food just like that, an addiction. Remind myself whenever I get a craving for it that IT IS NOT WORTH the after effects! I have to make up in my mind that IT DOES NOT EXIST!

Feeling a little down today. It's nice not working, but worrisome to not work.

These times are rough for me right now. This 4th of July finds me in a new yet familiar residence, jobless and old habits have taken over the side of me that wants to be optimally healthy. I need to vent somehow to grasp my anguish and throw it out the window. It's ridiculous! Why do I indulge in this self destructive behavior? I'm hard on myself. I strive to see the person I am, that I want to be, to better myself for peace within and without. Yet, I continue to slip into fast food, laze about the house most days and struggle to get through daily living, continuing to disappoint myself. Not having a job is weighing heavily on my mind. It's stressful that this month's bills will be the last of my savings and I won't even be able to cover everything! It's scaring me and causing much stress, which only makes me reach for more comfort food, which I know in turn causes more ill feelings, both physically and emotionally. It's not healthy! One good thing that has happened as a result of my move is that through not much effort, my activity level has increased so I have noticed some toning and maybe an inch or two lost. Having to take care of horses, take care of the property and walking with my best friend at least twice a week, sometimes more, has been great in terms of head starting my exercise plans. Had I started eating healthier like I had planned to when first moving here, I know I could quite possibly be at least 20 pounds lighter by now. As it is now, the last time I weighed myself I was 167 which is 5 pounds lighter than the last time I weighed myself before that. Woohoo! Thank you activity!

All growing up, through my teen years and the beginning of my twenties I was never fat. I was perhaps not healthy skinny, but I didn't feel anything wrong with me, so I never felt I needed to change my diet then. Mostly I ate whatever my parents cooked which was a pretty staple diet of mom food. I was also a lot more active because of the jobs I held and where and how I lived. As I started veering away from mom food, I unwittingly began to indulge more and more often as the years went by in enjoying eating out; developing eating habits that today have been very hard for me to break. With acquiring office clerical jobs starting in 2000, the weight slowly crept up on me. Within 6 years I was 20 pounds heavier and in another 2 years another 20 pounds heavier where I have remained. But wait, as I think about this, I might be kidding myself on exactly how much I've gained. Working in the grocery store chains from 16 to 19, I rarely weighed myself, but those times I did I remember seeing 115 - 120 lbs on the scale. My weight never was an issue for me. It didn't really bother me much at all that when I weighed myself between the ages of 20-21 that I was 130 - 135 lbs. I never really thought about it then because I still looked good and I was comfortable! I really started becoming aware of my steady weight gain around my 4th main office job where I weighed 145 lbs. I wanted to start eating healthier, but it still wasn't a desperate thing for me to do. Plus the only thing I knew I needed to do then was to stop eating fast food, and to exercise more. I started occasionally, but never got into it and never really saw any weight loss. It wasn't until about 5 years ago that I started getting desperate to lose the weight I had gained. At that point I weighed 155 lbs. Then the move to Chicago really packed on another 20 lbs within 2 years and that's where I really began the research into finding how I could naturally lose the weight and sustain it. So my goal has always been to weigh 135 lbs again. I was comfortable there, but when I reach that point I may find my body naturally wants to find its ideal and maybe lose some more weight. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I found the Primal Blueprint in November 2010. For the last 8 months its been the one thing that I've been striving to adopt as a healthy lifestyle for me. So now I have 32 lbs to lose to reach my goal weight.

Well despite all my complaining about past behavior and what my future will bring or trying blindly to control my future. I really shouldn't be worrying about the past or the future. What is the most important is that in this present moment, I'm making an effort to journal my thoughts however negative or positive, and know that I have a problem and also know how I can fix it. I'm feeling a little spark of motivation again, so now all I need do is throw in some kindling, and long slow burning wood to keep that fire burning. Is it difficult? Well no in all truth it really isn't. I only think it is and I know I can control my thoughts and change my attitude towards it. The hardest part is getting started, but I've taken another step forward for being in the forums again, and another step for eating a relatively healthy snack; Bumble Bar. (brunch was McDonald's). I think tuna steak is in order for dinner tonight.

Another month gone by. I'm now at 163 lbs woohoo! Again, it's all about the increased activity. Most days I eat pretty horribly, some days I practice IFing without even really planning it. I skip breakfast most days, eat a relatively heavy lunch, and something light for dinner, though some nights dinner is heavy too. It is most definitely the increased activity that has made me lose another 4 lbs in a month and that last 3 was just in the last week as the quality of food I'm eating is fast food mostly! So if I am really supposed to be 115 lbs, and at my heaviest I was 176, that means a 61 lb weight gain! Holy shit! Well that puts things into new perspective. Still my goal is to get down to 135 lbs. It is not as intimidating as 115 lbs, and I have 28 lbs to get there. Definitely doable!

I desperately need to go grocery shopping. I have a job now, working at Target; not glamorous but it's an income so I think I will risk it and go get a few things. I'm torn between getting conventional instead of primal because I want to shake this habit of eating out! To do that, if I have foods at home, I WANT to eat, I'll eat that instead of going out. Yet, I WANT to eat Primal! It's so easy to do, I know, just meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, nuts seeds, healthy oil sources, some fruit, some dairy, water, and herb teas. SIMPLE!! SIMPLE!! SIMPLE!! I need an outside opinion...do I break the habit of eating out by having processed foods around or do I jump in feet first again for the umpteenth billionth time? This pattern has yet to yield results for me because I haven't let it. So frustrating!

It's 2012, almost March and my bad eating habits have engulfed me into a frenzied attempt to release endorphins in an effort to make me feel better. Well, I know damn well enough that's not the way to do it! It's the same old story again only this time, I've added more sugary crap that ordinarily I never wanted in the first place. I'm jobless at the moment. I'm leaning heavily on my boyfriend for financial support and food, and he can't afford to keep that up at all. I am a wannabe Primal guru, but don't have the means to embrace it fully. I have had no choice but to go along with whatever he and his mom buy, which is conventional meats, veggies and packaged processed crapola. I guess that is the way it is now, and I just have to accept it for now and not beat myself up over it.

Guod is offline Senior Member
    "Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy."
    - Winston Churchill

Good Luck
    And the meek shall inherit the earth.
    What good is a used up world, and how could it be worth having?

Quote Originally Posted by Guod View Post
    "Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy."
    - Winston Churchill

Good Luck

Thank you! This is so helpful!

My boyfriend also wants to embrace the Primal Blueprint, but he LOVES bread, and seems to always want sugar after a meal. I'm not sure how to curb this. I expect as we progress with changing our diet, that eventually he won't even crave it over time as he'll be so satisfied.

I had him help me out by buying some groceries for myself at home a week ago. I needed something there so I wouldn't go out to eat so much with what little money I scrounge up. I'm very proud to say that my groceries consisted of primal goodness! I'm afraid we can't go the complete organic route yet as it's so expensive in this town! I wish we had a Trader's Joe's....

I DID buy truly farm fresh eggs at a local farmer off the rural street in my area. I had my first two this morning. BEST EVER! I love farm fresh eggs. They are so much richer in flavor and dense in nutrients that aren't in conventionally bought eggs.

For breakfast this morning, I had two eggs over easy with salt and pepper and a handful of almond slices over the top. I had half an avocado and am sipping on my mint green tea. My journey finally feels like I'm actually going to make it this time! For lunch I plan on having my leftover steak sliced up in a green leafy salad. Sounds yummy!

I am also happy to report that despite my previous bad eating habits, my weight has been maintaining about 149. I find this very interesting. It tells me that the foods I ate in Chicago were densely packed with added calories! Increased activity has allowed me to lose 27 lbs! My goal weight is 135.

So here I go! On the road again!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    STEAK! Yummy, wholesome steak. I had it for dinner, and am still smacking my lips for it's yummy goodness. I do wish I could afford more of it. I had a great big salad with it with lots of leafy greens, spinach, broccoli, sharp cheese (not ready to give up the dairy), snap peas, cucumbers, tomatoes, greek dressing, walnuts, pecans, and sunflower seeds. I am following that up with a yummy dessert of Greek yogurt, topped with strawberries, and a tiny drizzle of honey.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12