Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Girl's First Attempt at Sprints page

SonyaJane is offline Senior Member

Fat Girl's First Attempt at Sprints

Primal Fuel
    I do believe I shocked a few people in the park when I catapulted myself from a leisurely stroll into a 6 second all out sprint today. I repeated this 5 times and couldn't manage anymore. I have managed to hurt my ankle in the process, and I assuming that this is due to a combination of being 218lbs and poor running technique, although I have no idea how I am *supposed* to run to prevent injury. I was wearing good running trainers, and I do intend to buy some barefoot shoes, but I wouldn't expect just five six-second sprints in trainers to cause this level of injury. Incidentally, I also found that I hurt my wrist after just 15 wall press ups (slightly inclined), which still hurts after 10 days. What can I do about this? I don't want to keep breaking myself every time I try to do some exercise.

ani
    ani is offline Senior Member
    In the PB fitness e-book Mark suggests sprinting on an incline first to help prevent injury, it worked pretty well for me. Also I find that swimming is a great way to either do "sprints" or some fun low level activity without injury. Most importantly if anything starts to hurt or feel off just stop, even if you feel like you haven't put in a good workout. A half-finished workout is better than a painful full length workout with an injury. After injuring myself multiple times from pushing it to hard, I learned. Start slow and you will see improvements! Good Luck!

OK, thank you, I will try some hill sprints next time. I don't like swimming because the chlorine in pools makes me itch. Apart from the sore ankle, I did enjoy the sprinting, and I even felt so overcome with emotion that I nearly cried whilst I was doing them! No idea what that was about...

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I would say that you should start very slowly and do what you can and WILL do regularly considering your present state of fitness. I started primal in Nov. and am just now getting around to sprinting.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Prime is offline Senior Member
    Hi Groketta!

I have very weak wrists and the wall pushups hurt mine, too. It's hard to vary the angle on the wall, especially. I bought push-up bars for like $10 (see link below) and can do comfortable pushups on my knees with my wrists straight instead of bent. Definitely worth a try!

Doing sprints on a slight incline is SO much better on the shins and ankles. Also, if you have access to a stationary bicycle, you could do your sprints on that instead. What helped me the most was to sprint on a moderate incline and try not to strike the ground with my heel. The more I try and run "on my toes" the faster I am and less strain I feel on my ankles. Hope this helps!! Start slow and work your way up. You've got plenty of time, and if you avoid injury you'll be able to progress even faster!

http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-Push-Bar.../dp/B0007W2ERI

@Shat - yes, I also felt that I should start slowly, although it seemed to undermine the whole point of sprints. However, you are right because my body just can't cope with doing all out sprints without having done much exercise before. I started going for walks last week though, so hopefully it will get the message soon

@Prime - Push-up bars sound like a great idea - I can't see a link though. I hadn't thought of a stationary bike! Good plan! I must also buy a cycle helmet so I can finally use the new bike that's been sitting in the shed for two years... I tried to walk home on my toes and it was quite tricky. I must have looked quite odd! I would like some Vibrams or some similar barefoot shoes but can't afford any at the moment.

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    I don't know what your weather conditions are, or what your ground varieties are like, but have you thought of sprinting barefoot? Maybe on the grass? I do my sprints on the grass on the park because it's not like I need a big space (haha. yeah, I need like, 8 steps... :/ ) and just do them barefoot because I can't afford fancy barefoot shoes.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    It's running that's naturally done on your toes, or at least the front part of the foot, not walking. If you find somewhere you can run barefoot, just a few strides, this becomes obvious.

I found when I ran sprints (or my best imitation of sprints) from a standing/walking start I always pulled something or other at once and was out of action the next day. Counterproductive . Jogging a bit first to 'warm up' seemed to help, and so did running uphill (when you naturally tend to run on your toes even in ordinary running shoes). I live at the bottom of a hill. It's a good job people in my part of the world are polite and reserved, and pretend not to notice the flailing, purpling thing dashing up the hill in 15 second bursts, and subsiding in a gasping heap inbetween.

Oh... the idea of 'sprints' generally is just doing something at almost-maximum capacity in short bursts with short breaks, right? Running or jumping on a rebounder or doing squats or whatever.

The other thing that's helped me a lot, just in general, is my bike. It sat in the garage being nibbled on by rats for about a decade while I got heavier and heavier, but bless the old thing, it still worked when I finally got it out, hardly creaked under my weight at all, and still gave me that sense of freedom. It's a form of exercise I enjoy and look forward to, which for me is just bizarre.

There's an exercise bike in the utility room. It's quite useful for hanging things on.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I bow before you for even attempting it. Brave, bold girl.

(+1 hill power-ups [chugging up as fast as you can -- will probably look more like a rapid walk] and/or sprinting in a swimming pool)
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Minimalist Footwear | ADVENTUREinPROGRESS

This site gives a very good overview of how your feet respond to shoes, as well as being barefoot. He also gives MANY reviews on barefoot like shoes, so don't feel bad if you can't afford VFF, there are LOTS of other options!

(this is a great video that goes over the basics YouTube - Is it the shoes? It's gotta be the shoes. )

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast