Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fat Girl's First Attempt at Sprints page 2

capt46f3 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'll be honest, there is not much benefit in sprinting if you are 218 lbs and not that tall and not athletic. Typically it is a recipe for injury.

A couch to 5k program isn't a bad thing, remember in Mark's world chronic cardio was marathons and more!

The barefoot running style has worked well for me, I no longer have knee pain. I like the evolution running dvd (chi running turned me off). I run in newtons, work in NB minimus and walk around in Merrell barefoots.

PrimalMouse is offline Member
    Find a rabbit, put it in a cage, then release it, scream at it, and chase it. You will achieve sprintyness glory. Do this, and profit.
    Feral.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Wait, are you girl language fat or morbidly obese pre-diabetic fat? Because if you're girl language fat then it's likely not the weight that is the problem.

aussieluke is offline Member
    Try going barefoot on grass. Take it easy at first as the grass may be slippery or soft if it's damp or if the soil below is moist.

Google and read articles on how to sprint. Like this Sprinting ...but there are probably much better examples. I know because I have read many in the past.

I found starting from stationary helps. Either in the classic sprint style (hands on ground etc), or try standing straight, then letting yourself fall forward and start into the sprint.

Proper breathing and hand/arm motion, angles and tension makes a lot of difference too.

Just walk along the section of grass you're going to sprint on first to make sure there are no sticks/rocks whatever.

One last thing, try distance rather than time, so you can focus on thinking about technique. Try finding a football field and sprint from the corner to the goalpost (but don't run into the post!) This should be 20m or so. Sprint to the post, then slow down gently and walk back to the corner and have a little rest, then go again.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    @SonyaJane - just wanted to say you inspired me to try sprinting up my local hill again this morning, for the first time in months. Managed 4x12 seconds before feeling too nauseous to carry on. Heh. I'll do better next week. Thank you for the nudge, I needed it.

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    I bow before you for even attempting it. Brave, bold girl.

(+1 hill power-ups [chugging up as fast as you can -- will probably look more like a rapid walk] and/or sprinting in a swimming pool)
    Me too!! I am 200 pounds and would not even consider attempting a sprint unless I wanted to end up in traction for the next fortnight! LOL!!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteVick View Post
    Minimalist Footwear | ADVENTUREinPROGRESS

This site gives a very good overview of how your feet respond to shoes, as well as being barefoot. He also gives MANY reviews on barefoot like shoes, so don't feel bad if you can't afford VFF, there are LOTS of other options!

(this is a great video that goes over the basics YouTube - Is it the shoes? It's gotta be the shoes. )
    This is very interesting. I just started wearing VFFs. This weekend we were putting in the hardwood floors and on Saturday I was wearing regular sneakers but due to having to run back and forth, climb over piles of wood, I decided to wear the VFFs on Sunday as I feel more stable on my feet in them. We also took the dog out for walks, climbed up and down embankments, over rocks. Saturday morning I was fine but this morning my thighs are killing me. My feet and calves are fine, probably because I never wear shoes at home and out and about it's usually Converse or Keen sneakers so I'm used to not having the extra support, but the VFFs feel so natural that I can feel myself using my legs differently.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing 20 minute walks at lunchtime for the past three months, interspersed with a little bit of jogging (when I thought no one was looking). Did my first all-out sprint (about 20 seconds) last week and lived to tell the tale.

I do think, however, that I pulled an inner thigh muscle doing some high-stepping on the stairs at home. One of these days, I'll get it figured out.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    @SonyaJane - just wanted to say you inspired me to try sprinting up my local hill again this morning, for the first time in months. Managed 4x12 seconds before feeling too nauseous to carry on. Heh. I'll do better next week. Thank you for the nudge, I needed it.
    Hooray!!
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Yesterday I raced my 5 year old full out and gassed out after about 10 seconds or so! I haven't really started incorporating sprints in my workouts, but that seemed like a good place to start. I'd just give it a rest for a week or so before you try again - Mark says every 7-10 days, so as long as you are going full out, even if it is only a few seconds, it is a sprint. What I read in his book is that even 8 or 10 seconds is fine per sprint as long as you are going full out. In regards to the ankle twist - ouch! I hope it feels better soon!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast