Thread: Organic Fish Farms vs. Wild-caught Salmon page

Edje Noh is offline Senior Member

Question Organic Fish Farms vs. Wild-caught Salmon

Shop Now
    I saw two types of sources of Salmon in a store: Certified organic from a fish farm in Ireland and wild caught salmon from the upper oceans near Norway (northeast atlantic ocean). Up untill now I've gone for the wild caught salmon as it was slightly cheaper and because in the PB it says you should stay away from fish farm fish. However, it doesn't talk about organic fish farms. I never read anything about it yet.
    Do you guys have any intel on this?

(I read alaskan salmon is a great source too, but I live in Holland and most alaskan salmon is canned, Norway seemed like a similar type of terrain (with the fjords and all))

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Wild fish are out swimming in their natural environment, eating their natural diets. Organic farmed fish are fed certified organic but still processed fish feed. You can't certify wild foods as organic because there's no control on their environment and thus no way to certify them, but really, what's more natural and actually organic? It's like eating wild game meats versus farmed meat.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    The organic Irish salmon is the only farmed salmon I will eat. I still prefer wild Pacific (not Atlantic), but the Irish is quite good. Nothing beats Alaskan king salmon, though! I love when it goes on sale

danandvicky is offline Member
    T NATION | Nutsack-Rated Nutrition: The Salmon, Beef, and Antioxidant Scams

beware the masculine fueled title and subtext and just read the article.

norak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edje Noh View Post
    I saw two types of sources of Salmon in a store: Certified organic from a fish farm in Ireland and wild caught salmon from the upper oceans near Norway (northeast atlantic ocean).
    Do you know which brand this was sold under? I live in Norway, and I have yet to see wild-caught salmon in a (regular) store. It's all farmed over here. I may be wrong, but to my knowledge, most wild-caught salmon in Norway is fished in various rivers during fishing seasons, mostly by private "sports fishers" (i.e. not commercial). (Side note: If anyone reading this is living in Norway and/or know where to get wild-caught salmon here, feel free to share your knowledge.)

Quote Originally Posted by Edje Noh View Post
    Up until now I've gone for the wild caught salmon as it was slightly cheaper and because in the PB it says you should stay away from fish farm fish. However, it doesn't talk about organic fish farms. I never read anything about it yet.
    Do you guys have any intel on this?
    Organic fish farming is a rather new industry, so it's not very common, yet. There is one organic (or rather, "ecological", as we call it) salmon farmer in Norway, called Villa Organic. Apparently they export 80% of their products, so maybe it's available elsewhere in Europe as well? Villa Organic is certified "ecological" (økologisk) in Norway, which among other things, regulate the amount of "plant-based" vs. "marine" oils they are allowed to feed the fish.

Since I can't find wild-caught salmon in stores, and very few stores carry the Villa Organic brand, I usually opt for the "least evil" alternative, which is fresh sushi-grade farmed salmon from producers like Salma and Lerøy (both are heavily exported, but I'm not sure which brands they are sold under abroad).
    Last edited by norak; 04-04-2011 at 07:52 AM.

Edje Noh is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    @Norak

I read up on the Norway salmon, it's not wild-caught, my bad. The salmon are raised in the 'Fjords' (that's the dutch word, don't know if it's the same in norwegian) of Norway.
    That means the only wild-caught salmon available comes from Alaska, which makes it extremely pricey.
    I guess I'll stick with the norwegian salmon though and endulge in herring and other types of small fish that are available around here.