Thread: How is muscle created? page

radioplastic is offline Junior Member

How is muscle created?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi,

I was wondering how muscle is created in the body. What happens when you workout and what happens when you eat protein.

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    This podcast should answer your question about the process of "building" muscle:

What does muscle building mean

thanks for this.

It did have a lot of value but I'm more looking for a scientific explanation that would be explained in simple words afterwards.

chuckarie is offline Member
    the tearing of muscle fibers through working out creates new muscle fibers = bigger muscles (according to my AP Biology teacher haha)

Owly is offline Senior Member
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

norak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by radioplastic View Post
    I was wondering how muscle is created in the body. What happens when you workout and what happens when you eat protein.
    When you work out, hard enough, your muscle fibers get ripped apart and the body then uses protein to re-build them stronger (and bigger) than what they were before. The rebuilding happens when you are not working out, which is why proper resting periods and sleeping is important when trying to build muscle (in addition to a good diet, of course).

I dont fully understant what wikipedia says. I understant this part right:

Muscles grows in 2 ways. Either the volume of sarcoplasmic fluid in the muscle cell increase or the actin and myosin proteins increase in number. The actin and myosin are proteins that make the muscle contract. By increasing its number you increase muscular strenght. This is called myofibrillar hypertrophy as opposed to sarcoplasmic hypertrophy which doesn't increase muscle strenght. The 2 forms can happen at the same time, sometimes its a big increase of proteins and a small increase of fluids, sometimes it's the opposite, sometimes it's balanced.

Strength training typically produces a combination of the two different types of hypertrophy.

I understand everything up to here, but I dont understand this part:

"As the muscle continues to receive increased demands, the synthetic machinery is upregulated. Although all the steps are not yet clear, this upregulation appears to begin with the ubiquitous second messenger system (including phospholipases, protein kinase C, tyrosine kinase, and others).[citation needed] These, in turn, activate the family of immediate-early genes, including c-fos, c-jun and myc. These genes appear to dictate the contractile protein gene response.[citation needed]"

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    With blood, sweat, and some times vomit.
    "Live Free or Die"