Thread: Bought my first grass fed beef yesterday page

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member

Bought my first grass fed beef yesterday

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    And I need some crockpot ideas/tips. I've not used my crockpot yet. I bought a good quality Staub one a while back as it was reduced to a 1/6 of the price and I've been meaning to use it ever since. Now I have some good meat for it.

I got 300 grams of beef calf. It was the cheapest cut as I'm on a tight budget, but at 8.50/kilo it's less than a lot of the CAFO meat around here. This was a nice surprise and I'll be getting cheap grass-fed meat more often.

But I need some info to get me started with the slow cooker. First, do I need stock or gravy for it? Any other cooking needed for best results, or is everything cooked from raw in the crockpot.. Yep, I am clueless here. I will enjoy experimenting, but I need the basics.. a fool's guide, so I don't botch the first one. On a budget remember!

I intend to use sweet potato, broccoli, carrot and cook for 8 hours at 80C. Sound good? The rest is open to experimentation.

Thanks for reading.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I'd leave out the sweet potato and the broccoli. They'll just turn to mush with that amount of cooking. If you want more flavour in your meat juices you can do carrot, celery, onion and garlic in the bottom of the pot and set the beef on top. At most, you might want to add about 1 cup of liquid (beef broth or water) to the crock.

edit - if you sear your beef first in a bit of bacon fat, the caramelization will add an extra layer of flavour.
    Last edited by belinda; 04-03-2011 at 07:25 AM.

Firebug is offline Junior Member
    I usually grill or broil beef. If it is a lean or tough cut you can marinate it first.

But if you chose the crockpot the best suggestion is above, placing the meat on top of the vegatables.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I made a grass fed roast in my crockpot last week that I was really pleased with. I mixed some broth, a little tomato puree, a teaspoon or two of apple cider vinegar, some merlot, a little worchestershire (all of the above was about a cup) and poured over the roast and cooked it for 8 hours on low. The texture was really good which doesn't always happen and we really enjoyed it. I just roasted some sweet potatoes, baby carrots, and onions after tossing in butter in the oven instead of putting them in the crock.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Tesen is offline Member
    My wife, child and I bought our first front 1/4 of beef about four weeks ago. We love it. The farm we got it from with butcher costs it worked out to be around $2.80/lbs. So if you get in contact with local farmers and stuff, and hunt about you might be able to get in on buying beef in bulk and save large. But okay on to what I am doing with now with some grass fed beef.

In my crockpot at the moment set for 10 hours on low is about 2 1/2lbs of beef brisket. How am I cooking it?

1) 1x Large onion sliced, with possible a medium or small if the bottom is not covered.
    2) 1 1/2 cups of water.
    3) Mixed in a bowl, homecade cajun seasoning, black pepper, garlic powder I bought from farmers market this past season, paprika and some homemade onion powder. Mix in bowl (I eyeball it to get the right color/proporations).
    4) Season bottom of brisket, then place in crockpot. Season the top until covered then dump the rest of the seasoning around the brisket.

After ten hours lift the brisket out carefully :-)

Tesen