Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obstacle course in your own backyard? Advice needed! page

Genevieve is offline Member

Obstacle course in your own backyard? Advice needed!

I searched on the forums but couldn't find what I was looking for. I have 1 acre that is sloped and I wanted to build an obstacle course on it so that I could do workouts outdoors while watching the kids play (I have a 5 and 8 yr old). My husband works a lot and we only have one car, so I am mostly always home. I get seriously bored with indoor workouts, and love the outdoors, so...

What would be the best obstacles so that I could do, let's say, 5 rounds of? I was thinking tires or 1foot high rope "a la hopscotch", zigzagging through trees, setting up a ladder/monkey bars type in between trees, running uphill...I need more ideas to make it challenging and FUN! We have lots of leftover wood and planks from renovating our house so lack of wood is not a problem.

Thanks in advance!

Littlesigh is offline Senior Member
    I wish I had the room for such a plan! It sounds like you are on the right track. Keep it simple and think like a kid! Something to crawl through, like those flexible tubes that dogs run through, something to jump! and things to climb up and over. The rope is a great idea for climbing, not many gyms have those anymore. LOL... you could dig a mud hole and fill it with water! :-)

GReat idea!
    Good luck! and post pics when you are done!
    Living the dream, inside a myth

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    We're doing this on my farm. The obstacles will include:

5+ foot wall climb
    Overhead fencepost carry (the heavy wooden kind, not a t-post)
    Over-unders (jump over a hurdle, crawl under the next, etc.)
    Slosh pipe carry
    Steep uphill run
    Tractor tire flip
    Hand "walk" along parallel bars
    Rope climb
    Running between obstacles, which are spread out over 5, hilly acres.

Some of those obstacles are built already; others aren't. I throw in temporary obstacles/tasks like bear crawls, bucket jumps (over a series of overturned, 5-gallon buckets), sandbag carries, somersaults, balance beam walks, etc. to make things more interesting.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Littlesigh is offline Senior Member
    Tractor tire flip... now that is a task! Where is the jumping out of the barn into a hay stack? :-)

This actually would be a great thing for cities to do in their parks...!
    Living the dream, inside a myth

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Jealous...
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Holy moly, great ideas! Let me ask the neighbor for a spare tractor tire, LOL (seriously). Buckets, gots lots of those! I have a well on the property, which is a round cement thingie inside an 8 foot hole dug in the ground, so climbing in and out would be a great workout (the cement well is locked so no danger of falling in). Man, I'm so looking forward to building this!

Keep the ideas coming!

And I'm so jealous of your 5 acres barbeygirl!

gunn parker is offline Senior Member
    Have a look at this, It might help.
    Al Kavadlo and home made pull up bars.
    There are many paths you can take when putting together a home gym. Throughout my life, Ive owned free weights, benches, push-up bars, and a pull-up bar mounted in a doorframe. However, as we progress in fitness and life, our goals change and so do our needs. Like our bodies, our minds and creative forces need to be challenged (it just feels good to make something). So when the itch to create a home gym struck again, it was a no-brainer: a backyard pull-up bar was the only way to go.
    Al Kavadlo We're Working Out! Building a Backyard Pull-up Bar

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlesigh View Post
    Where is the jumping out of the barn into a hay stack? :-)
    I'm having an allergy attack just thinking of that!

Seriously, though, stacking 25 tons of hay in 100-lb bales makes for quite a few good workouts every summer. That job is one of my primary motivators for working out all year!
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Thanks for the link gunn parker, will definitely read!

Haha, if I had a barn I'd be jumping in hay all day.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Check out events like the Spartan Race, Tough Mudder, etc for some ideas of what they fill their endurance/strength courses with.

G'luck with it! I have to say I'm also jealous, though -- wish I had the space to make something like that! Let us know how it goes!
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast