Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Sunburn Resistance page 2

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Just make your own with zinc oxide and coconut oil. No chemicals, no fuss.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i don't know what it is about primal/paleo/whatever eating that makes us more resistant to sunburn, but it's pretty hard to deny. it's cool too!

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    i don't know what it is about primal/paleo/whatever eating that makes us more resistant to sunburn, but it's pretty hard to deny. it's cool too!
    I'm pretty sure it's having higher quality fats like saturated and monounsaturated in the diet. Before, you probably had way less fat total, and any fat you did have was polyunsaturated or trans fat. The sun would quickly oxidize these. Saturated fat is much harder to oxidize, so your skin is protected.

It could also be that saturated fat is a co-factor for producing Vitamin D. I'm guessing on both of these ideas.

MorganGirl is offline Member
    It could also be the higher amounts of vitamin C along with copper and zinc which are higher in a primal diet.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorganGirl View Post
    It could also be the higher amounts of vitamin C along with copper and zinc which are higher in a primal diet.
    One thing I do know is that sleep has to do with sun resistance. If I'm ever short on sleep, I am waaay more sensitive to sun.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    It takes a lot of work to maintain this pallor... er... I mean my milky white skin. So it's good to know that primal will lessen the effects of the sun. Love the lifestyle, but black hair and white skin is hot. (Only my opinion of course!)
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    It takes a lot of work to maintain this pallor... er... I mean my milky white skin. So it's good to know that primal will lessen the effects of the sun. Love the lifestyle, but black hair and white skin is hot. (Only my opinion of course!)
    In your avatar, is that a monkey climbing a brand, or a monkey tied to a stick that's hung over a fire? Or perhaps, is it a monkey that *thinks* he is climbing a branch, but through the deception of an outside force or his own ignorance, has climbed over a fire in the perfect position to be roasted? Could the monkey represent society? Hmm...

(replace monkey with sloth)

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Just make your own with zinc oxide and coconut oil. No chemicals, no fuss.
    Isn't zinc oxide a chemical??? sorry... just being a smartalek...

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    In your avatar, is that a monkey climbing a brand, or a monkey tied to a stick that's hung over a fire? Or perhaps, is it a monkey that *thinks* he is climbing a branch, but through the deception of an outside force or his own ignorance, has climbed over a fire in the perfect position to be roasted? Could the monkey represent society? Hmm...

(replace monkey with sloth)
    LOL! Sloth = lazy = moi.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Hmmm, I don't think primal is going to make you resistant to tanning. Just to burning.
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast