Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ashtanga Yoga page

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member

Ashtanga Yoga

Primal Fuel
    I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with yoga in the context of paleo dieting and longer recovering periods?

I used to practice Ashtanga daily, but was vegan and way too low cal. at the time and all of that sent me into a decade of trying to recover my adrenal/ energy. (still working on that).

I have been doing weights as per Body By Science for almost a year and have had good results, but still feel like a lot is missing. I don't have the same type of real world strength I felt when doing yoga and the flexibility is really gone. Doing a daily 90 min. ashtanga routine is too much for my body though (the chronic fatigue really kicks in). I'm wondering if others have tried a weekly yoga routine (giving a week of rest) in the same fashion as one would do a lifting routine and gotten good results?

I would like to do this, but don't want to stop progressing with my strength at the rate that I have been with the weights. The intensity at any given moment is certainly not there with the yoga, yet after it is all over, certain areas are definitely worked more that they ever are with just the weights.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I go to a 90min ashtanga class 1-2x a week. I used to go 3-4x a week, but last month I got sick during a week of that many yoga classes + nightly hours-long dance practices + not eating enough (+obvs being exposed to germs), and while I got over it just fine, it made me re-think whether I really needed to practice that often, especially because I enjoyed (and found more challenging and invigorating) half those lessons wayyyy more than the other half.

I have been making gains/progress in terms of flexibility going 1-2x/week, and I think it's also been helping build some upper arm strength. I think it's a great idea to practice once a week and give yourself time to recover. I must say, though, for a few months last year I would practice yoga for nearly 2 hours most days of the week, and didn't see gains like I am now, partly because I have better (wayyyy better) instructors now who don't assume that I can't do certain things because of my weight, but also, I think, because of the other fitness benefits from following PB food/activity/de-stressing/sleep. So I think incorporating yoga once a week into whatever you're doing now will not be the same experience as when you were vegan and low cal.

I hope that helped answer your question!
    Last edited by spakesneaker; 04-02-2011 at 06:03 PM.

thanks imasin,

That does help. I have been doing weights once a week and not wanting to reduce that recovery time by adding in other workouts during the week, however, like I said before I really like the ashtanga benefits. I was strong back then, but gains in strength took FOREVER unlike on my weight routine now. Being paleo now though really adds a lot to the equation though. I have also thought that daily workouts don't give any time for muscle growth inbetween. The intensity of the yoga routine though is so different than weight training that I wonder if I would still see regular gains in strength as well as just straight up gaining pounds of muscle.

My goal is to gain around 10 lbs of muscle before I start thinking of just maintaining. I've lost a lot from adrenal problems, mixed with nursing, and fatigue that meant being very sedentary. I think 10 more pounds would get me a bit above where I should be just to be "normal".

Women that do daily ashtanga certainly do put on a good amount of muscle. I guess what I'm asking with all this chatter, is would they achieve that even faster by only practicing 1 or 2x a week?

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I love yoga. I can't do it, but it is infinitely pleasurable to watch.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    Women that do daily ashtanga certainly do put on a good amount of muscle. I guess what I'm asking with all this chatter, is would they achieve that even faster by only practicing 1 or 2x a week?
    Honestly I think muscle gain will probably depend heavily on food intake and quality, as well as sleep.
    And I think there is a confounding factor here--women who do daily ashtanga are likely healthy and physically fit to begin with.

Yoga isn't as intense as weight training, for sure, but I do think that spacing yoga a few days apart from weight training will NOT interfere with your recovery from weight training, provided that you're eating enough good food and getting good-quality sleep. And it sounds like you're trying to heal from adrenal fatigue, for which yoga (in moderation) would be very helpful.

nocturnalmama is offline Senior Member
    I practice daily - but not ashtanga. I do a vigorous practice 1 - 2 times the week and the rest is restorative. I find I don't even need to lift weights, I'm building muscle and strength with yoga asana alone. I do find that I need recovery time from a vigorous vinyasa practice (1 - 2 days) and in that time, I've usually managed to build a bit of strength too.
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i don't lift weights either, but i do various body weight exercises for fun.

i do practice yoga daily, and i believe that any yoga can help -- once a week, twice a week, whatever. different styles do different things, and i think astanga primary series is a great practice for once/twice a week to get great benefits in flexibility and strength.

i do not know about the 'speed' of certain goals with yoga. it's a rather goal-less practice in my own experience, but i can understand using it for certain results and seeing how to get those results most effectively (with style, sequence, frequency of practice, etc).

i say try it and see what happens.

Thanks to everyone that replied

I think I might try adding it in 3-4 days after my weights and see what effect that has. If my rate of strength increase slows I'll know there isn't enough recovery time for both in one week, if it goes up then more is helping and if it stays the same I'm probably wasting my time to do two things a week.

I'm thinking the tradition of daily yoga practice is coming from tradition of course and from a spiritual, emotional, start your day off right type of place. From a purely fitness stand point though, it seems logical to assume that strength would increase faster with more recovery time worked in. I certainly know that I didn't have much luck getting stronger with daily practice in the past. Of course I wasn't eating right either, but even with that it was shockingly poor progress.

nocturnalmama is offline Senior Member
    I think if you are doing ashtanga or any type of vinyasa daily - then what you say is true. But, if a vinyasa practice is combined with a gentle more restorative practice, then I see nothing but benefit in incorporating a daily practice. Sometimes it's just about finding awareness & stillness - and that can be done by just sitting in meditation or laying over a bolster, kwim?
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I think I might try adding it in 3-4 days after my weights and see what effect that has. If my rate of strength increase slows I'll know there isn't enough recovery time for both in one week, if it goes up then more is helping and if it stays the same I'm probably wasting my time to do two things a week.
    Push your BBS workout out every two weeks and go to yoga as often as you can do it at a level you're happy with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast