Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of damage did I do cheating? page

Camille is offline Member

What kind of damage did I do cheating?

Shop Now
    So tomorrow I hit one month Primal. Hooray! My energy is finally starting to get a lot better, I don't feel quite as bad carb flu-ey as a couple weeks before.

So I did quite a few things out of the norm, as my Saturdays are completely devoid of routine. I ate like crap and did too much and now I feel like crap!

I had some coffee this morning with heavy cream, did 30 minutes of treadmill walking (dabbled in sprinting) and snacked on raw almonds intermittently until about 3. By then I was STARVING.

So I went to eat Vietnamese food with a friend. Turns out it's a "noodle house". So feasibly I cannot order anything without either rice or noodles. So I ate some pho (soup) with beef and rice noodles and a fried egg on the side. I was so hungry this point I didn't care if I ate noodles. It doesn't have gluten, so it's better than eating something like pizza. Right?

Then heavy duty shopping walking around for about 2.5 hours. By now I'm really low. And thirsty.

So we hit up Jamba Juice. I had a small pomegranate smoothie. Nail in my coffin. It was sooo sweet but so refreshing (yeah I live in the south, it's hot already).

So to try and reverse all the damage I came home and had leftover primal meatloaf and buttery cauliflower mash. Waiting to feel better...

So are my two cheats really that bad? Are they responsible for making me feel so crummy? Granted today I did a lot more activity than I'm used to. I just feel completely depleted. Ugh!

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    You'll be fine, it's one day. Just don't let it turn into a week.

Why did you not eat until 3pm though?

Quote Originally Posted by imasin View Post
    You'll be fine, it's one day. Just don't let it turn into a week.

Why did you not eat until 3pm though?
    I learned my lesson. I guess my body just freaks out when it doesn't get it's regular dose of fat and protein.

I didn't eat until 3 because I was stuck in a waiting room for hours as my car was being serviced.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Now you've done it. You're going to die. No avoiding it. Sorry.

Gordo

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    You'll be fine. Some advice: Just because you had one difficult-to-avoid "cheat" doesn't mean you're off the rails. Just because you're in for a penny doesn't mean you have to go in for a pound. If your only goal is weight loss, the juice was probably a more harmful indulgence depending on whether you got the small bucket or the big bucket. If you're trying to heal a leaky gut issue and have autoimmune issues, then the noodles were the most harmful. If you've got a healthy metabolism and are just trying to be that much healthier, then grok on. Not a stellar eating day but you'll bounce back pretty fast.

You likely could've gotten the pho place to leave out the noodles. They probably would have looked at you funny and laughed about you in the kitchen, but that isn't going to kill you.

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member
    I think if we have one off day like that in a month long of good days...it does more harm stressing about it than it does to just get back on track the next day, stay calm and carry on.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camille View Post
    So I went to eat Vietnamese food with a friend. Turns out it's a "noodle house". So feasibly I cannot order anything without either rice or noodles. So I ate some pho (soup) with beef and rice noodles and a fried egg on the side. I was so hungry this point I didn't care if I ate noodles. It doesn't have gluten, so it's better than eating something like pizza. Right?
    I love Vietnamese food. But I have to modify my pho order. I always tell them to remove the noodles and instead give me twice the veggies and rare beef. It is one of my favorite places to go when we are out and about. At least you know the rare beef is cooked in hot water instead of vegetable or soybean oils A friend of mine owns the pho restaurant near us and he showed me the process of how they make their broth for pho. It is all pretty traditional and they don't use MSG, you have to watch for some Vietnamese restaurants since some may sneak MSG in there.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    You could have done a LOT worse. A smoothie and some rice noodles? Not terrible. Not great, either, but don't sweat it. The worst ingredients you probably dealt with were some bad oils used for the eggs/soup (and maybe some MSG) and some sugar in the smoothie. "Cheating" is definitely acceptable in situations where there is little else available. Just get right back on track and you'll do fine. :]

Thanks for all the support, guys. Normally I don't freak out when I cheat but I was starting to see a light at the end of the carb flu tunnel. I felt awful and was worried I might have set myself back.

Good idea about ordering pho sans noodles. Looking back now, I'd rather have cheated with cake or mashed potatoes or something. Tasteless noodles and too sweet juice are so not worth it.

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I wouldn't worry. It's more of a cumulative thing anyways. If you were to cheat every day for a week, then you will start taking some steps back. But one day won't hurt you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast