Thread: Cooking oils page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

Cooking oils

Primal Fuel
    From what I've read, I think I'm going to have to change from cooking with olive oil --> butter/coconut oil, is this correct?

Should I then buy some sort of olive oil to add to my salad? If so, what kind should I buy? Should I just go to trader joe's or other natural food store and buy extra virgin olive oil?

Thanks!
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

grokka is offline Senior Member
    Cook in butter, ghee, coconut oil, or tallow. Do not ever cook in olive oil. You can get olive oil if you want, but it's not necessary. If you do, get extra virgin and store it in the fridge. Macadamia nut oil or melted butter make tasty and low O-6 salad dressings.

Have you read paleonu.com? If not, go read it. All of it. Twice.
    The perfect health diet is good too

The Big L is offline Senior Member
    Mark had something to say about this a week or two ago:

Defending Olive Oilís Reputation | Mark's Daily Apple

Basically, cooking with olive oil might not really be much to get worked up about after all. Personally I don't have a problem with using olive oil for low temp sauteeing. But usually I cook with butter, coconut oil, or bacon fat. If you need to cook at a little higher temperature, you might try clarified butter/ghee, or refined coconut oil if you're comfortable with that. The bits and pieces of sediment in regular butter or unrefined coconut oil will tend to burn and jump out of the pan under medium or higher heat.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Use coconut oil, butter, ghee, beef tallow, lard MOST of the time. If you want to cook with olive oil sometimes then feel free to do so. It would be best to cook with it at a lower heat but don't stress out about it.

Olive oil is FANTASTIC for salad dressings. As far as the quality goes - just get extra virgin cold pressed. If you have some extra money then buy one that is the same but local.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    I'm having a devil of a time trying to find affordable lard. Not the Crisco-like crapola that comes in a box, real leaf lard.

I called the nearest butchershop and the woman who answered the phone didn't know what it was. WTF? OK, so she's probably just the front desk lady and clueless, the butcher was busy and hasn't called me back. That was last week and I guess I'll have to call again.

I've found some online sources but they're in the $10 lb. range, before shipping. Ouch! A pound of lard is only about a cup's worth, I'd go through that in no time. Where do y'all get your lard and/or tallow?

Chrisflyer is offline Member
    I'd like some comment on the recommend fat to cook with. I have used coconut oil, butter, ghee and duck fat as my primary fat sources for cooking. I leave olive oil for salad dressings only as I do not want to risk rancidity by over-heating the oil.

Out of the ones I mentioned, I tend to use coconut oil sparingly since the flavour profile is quite strong and can take-over the dish's flavour, however butter, ghee and duck fat are okay. Ghee and duck fat offer more stable cooking since butter can burn due to the milk fat.

Would I be right in saying that ghee and duck fat would be the best and if so, is one or the other better nutritionally?

Thanks.

A

cavemanj is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Butter is for cooking, olive oil is for putting in stuff. Lard is also good to cook with.