Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Blood Glucose Experiment Scary Results page 3

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Go-Pre View Post
    What are you eating to keep carbs at 13.6 grams?
    It varies from day to day. Mostly, I eat a lot of grass fed beef, eggs from my free range backyard chickens, coconut oil, grass fed butter, broccoli, onions, mushrooms, peppers, a little tomato, cucumbers, radishes, no cheese in this last month and no cream, so that helped to keep the carbs down.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, also how much calcium are you getting? Too much calcium can cause a magnesium deficiency. I myself get about 700mg of magnesium per day and about 500mg of calcium. I have reasoned that to be a good ratio based on requirements for calcium and evolutionary intake of magnesium.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Hmm, also how much calcium are you getting? Too much calcium can cause a magnesium deficiency. I myself get about 700mg of magnesium per day and about 500mg of calcium. I have reasoned that to be a good ratio based on requirements for calcium and evolutionary intake of magnesium.
    For calcium intake, I can't really rely on FitDay's nutritional information, (which relates my average daily intake of calcium in this last month has been only 176.4 mg per day), because I drink a lot of homemade beef bone broth. I make this broth by slowcooking grass fed beef soup bones for at least 12 hours with a little vinegar, and I drink about 6 cups per week of the stuff. I also take a 630 mg calcium citrate tablet every day and there's an additional 200 mg of calcium in my daily multivitamin.

Before you ask, I take a multitude of other supplements as well, including fish oil, D3, B12 and B6, lecithin, and 5-htp. I'm not asking for advice on nutrition or weight loss. Thank you.

Edited to add: I've been reading lately that calcum supplementation is actually unnecessary, especially in light of the fact that I regularly drink bone broth, and since I just finished my bottle of calcium supplements I've decided to stop taking them.
    Last edited by Sharonll; 04-02-2011 at 05:19 PM.

maddie427 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    All right maybe that is a fair amount of weight loss. It does take a little while to get things really well so be patient. Just in summary:

- Omega 3/6 ratio in the tissues (basically in the diet, and therefore in the tissues) is super important. Try not to eat a lot of omega 6 fat.
    - Gut pathology is big. If you are not eating gelatin or the collagen parts of animals, do that. It helps a lot. Coconut is awesome.
    - You need more calories, much of it as coconut, some as fibrous vegetables. Coconut will decrease your glucose needs. Right now you are breaking down dietary protein to make glucose and it is keeping your blood sugar high.
    - Eating too little raises cortisol which causes insulin resistance and elevated glucose. Anything that increases cortisol is the opposite of what you need to do.
    - I mentioned fibrous vegetables, but adding inulin fiber is helpful. It gets converted in the gut to butyrate and is very anti-inflammatory and insulin-sensitizing. It is a good primal source of fermentable fiber.

That's most of it. Cheers. There are a few "magical" plant compounds in cinnamon and blueberries that will help you out even more. Consider making a coconut, gelatin, cinnamon and blueberry dessert. That strikes me as a good way to integrate many principles all into one.
    Thanks for this! This is a great recap of some really important usable info.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    DON'T PANIC!

I've just been reading all about this - go here ... Hyperlipid: Physiological insulin resistance the crux of the matter explained!

If you want to show how good your system now is you need to carb load for three days in a row around 150 g then do a fasted test, that shows the real picture. Anyway read Peter's post above, and you will worry no more, I hope!
    Kelda, I honestly don't know how to thank you enough! I have spent all day, literally, researching this issue, starting with Peter's post and then branching out into all kinds of other resources.

I wanted to post everything I learned here on the forum, but the post turned out to be way too long. Instead, I posted the research and conclusions on my blog. If you're interested, please read why I am No Longer Worried About My Fasting Blood Glucose.
    Thank you again,
    Sharon

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharonll View Post
    Kelda, I honestly don't know how to thank you enough! I have spent all day, literally, researching this issue, starting with Peter's post and then branching out into all kinds of other resources.

I wanted to post everything I learned here on the forum, but the post turned out to be way too long. Instead, I posted the research and conclusions on my blog. If you're interested, please read why I am No Longer Worried About My Fasting Blood Glucose.
    Thank you again,
    Sharon
    That's excellent, pleased to be of service :-) - I had a good day yesterday on the forum everyone seemed to ask a question I had resources for! It makes it doubly worth all the reading I'm doing when I can share it. You are doing an awesome job! Just one thing we've been discussing a lot over on the Counting Calories thread ... make sure you are getting enough protein - although it sounds like you are from the list of yummy food you eat! We are shooting for around 1 g per lb of goal weight which is a little higher than Mark's system but not quite as much as Art De Vany's!
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

jandge is offline Senior Member
    Excess protein can cause increased blood glucose too.

I'm 225lbs and 5'6" and to control my morning fasting numbers (85-103) I need to eat below 85g of protein the day before. I'm also insulin resistant, pre-diabetic.
    Last edited by jandge; 04-03-2011 at 01:56 AM.

Do yourself a favor and become your own savior.
    Congenital Hypothyroid
    CW: 225lbs SW: 245lbs

Yes, on VLC you will be using some of your protein for glucose genesis in order to feed the brain but if you read Dr Eades post (and Art De Vany talks about this too) it only creates as much as we need, when combining restricted calories with low carb you need to ensure you get enough protein or your body will start canibalizing your own structure to create the glucose ... the goal, and it's a tricky balance is to have slightly less fat calories than you are burning (which allows the body to burn the adipose fat) and sufficient protein to avoid the body breaking down your body recycling the protein for other purposes.

Oh, boy. My brain feels tired this morning. My old dog had to go outside at 3 am, and I simply was unable to go back to sleep. So, here I am again struggling to understand all of this. I'm a bit jealous of the folks who simply eat when hungry, follow the primal principles about 80% of the time, and just drop weight effortlessly. For me, I feel like a walking chemistry experiment.

I was fortunate yesterday to have Dr. Kurt Harris respond to a comment I made in his forum where he asked for more information about what I was experiencing. After reading my explanation, he commented that my daily average (from March) of 91g of protein is a bit too high and that 60g would be better.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharonll View Post
    Oh, boy. My brain feels tired this morning. My old dog had to go outside at 3 am, and I simply was unable to go back to sleep. So, here I am again struggling to understand all of this. I'm a bit jealous of the folks who simply eat when hungry, follow the primal principles about 80% of the time, and just drop weight effortlessly. For me, I feel like a walking chemistry experiment.

I was fortunate yesterday to have Dr. Kurt Harris respond to a comment I made in his forum where he asked for more information about what I was experiencing. After reading my explanation, he commented that my daily average (from March) of 91g of protein is a bit too high and that 60g would be better.
    Yes, I know that feeling, sometimes you just have to step back and take a break. That's an interesting comment from Kurt. I'm currently eating an average of 111 g of protein daily for my goal of getting back to 125 lbs (I'd gained 10 lbs over the winter). But, I'm very active, and an athlete so I have a fair amount of muscle mass to support. How does 60 g relate in terms of gs per lean lb of body mass? Do you have any idea? Mark of course states 0.7 - 1 g per lb of lean mass (so you'd need a good idea of your body fat to work that out) whereas Art De Vany talks about 1.5 g per lb of weight (that's a lot!).

You are not alone finding the weightloss thing isn't effortless - just a glance at Paleobird's calorie counting thread will show you that!

I think the missing link is that all these systems are designed by men and all the best results come from men (with little stalling that I can see) and that we need a review in the light of female hormones because they make a big difference on the whole metabolism picture. But that's been the case forever with scientific data often there are no women and or mental health dysfunctionals included in the trials and yet when they approve the drug (or whatever) they are prescribed for everyone ...
    Last edited by Kelda; 04-03-2011 at 07:39 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast