Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Migraine Headaches-Hell on earth page

Digby is offline Senior Member

Migraine Headaches-Hell on earth

Shop Now
    I posted the following on the magnesium thread, but know there are lots of fellow sufferers out there. The low carb primal diet has made a big difference in overall health including the migrianes, but magnesium made such a great difference. In the last year I have only had to resort to my heavy duty prescription maybe three tmes, when that used to be the monthly average.
    Now I take a triple magnesium from Swanson Vitamins that is a 400mg combo of oxide-citrate-aspartate which works wonderfully for my migraines. Also take calcium since they work together. I was astounded after nearly forty years of severe migraines (always carrying two different presciptions with me, +calmag now) that no doctor ever mentioned it, and I guess I was just not attending to the internet info, but for about a year now when I feel the first signs of a headache I take one of these and the magnesium nearly always stops it. This was like a miracle to me. I lived in dread of a full blown three day migraine. I think back to all that lost time lying in a quiet dark room in such pain that I would have taken a needle full of anything to get rid of, and a simple dose of magnesium would have made such a difference.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Do you supplement regularly, or 'save' it for an attack? I've been supplementing with magnesium (chelated) and now citrate for about 6 - 8 weeks and what a difference it's made to all kinds of things, including sleep, and menstrual cramping - is Dr Emily Deans www.evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com's favourite element by all accounts :-)
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

I supplement regularly (lots of supplements!), but take it additionally when I feel a headache coming on, and at night before bed. I struggle with sleep, have all my life. I get less impact on my sleep, but the improvement with migraine is tremendous.

I haven't experimented much with different types. I know I found a big difference in calcium varieties, so I am just getting around to trying a Now brand liquid cal-mag citrate, and hope that helps with sleep.
    Last edited by Digby; 04-02-2011 at 09:19 AM.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    I've been taking 350 mg daily 300 of that during the evening. If I get an sign of menstrual cramping I take another 300 dose and it magically goes away :-) just switched to the citrate form (the shop didn't have the chelated this) so it'll be interesting to see if it makes any difference.

My daughter started on the chelated a few days back and text today to say she'd been giggling a lot, first time in many months!
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Here are all of my magnesium links - including magnesium/mood and magnesium/migraines:
    https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0A...dxNjdkbg&hl=en

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

adamsaysyo is offline Member
    This thread couldn't have come at a more perfect time. I went PB last year, but fell off 6 months ago with shoulder surgery. Back a month ago, but my migraines kicked in about 3 months ago again and I'm getting them about 4 out of 7 days a week. Taking the hard core drugs with each migraine (insurance covers 9 pills a month - ...doesn't quite cover my needs plus the triptans kick my ass), and I get a full brain MRI and AMRI on Monday.

Will head to Vitamin Shoppe shortly to pick up some magnesium - thanks all! Fingers crossed it helps....

-adam

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Here are all of my magnesium links - including magnesium/mood and magnesium/migraines:
    https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0A...dxNjdkbg&hl=en
    Wow! Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by adamsaysyo View Post
    This thread couldn't have come at a more perfect time. I went PB last year, but fell off 6 months ago with shoulder surgery. Back a month ago, but my migraines kicked in about 3 months ago again and I'm getting them about 4 out of 7 days a week. Taking the hard core drugs with each migraine (insurance covers 9 pills a month - ...doesn't quite cover my needs plus the triptans kick my ass), and I get a full brain MRI and AMRI on Monday.

Will head to Vitamin Shoppe shortly to pick up some magnesium - thanks all! Fingers crossed it helps....

-adam
    Hope you get some relief. I've found that the meds make me groggy for at least 24 hours, so it was an additional bonus of finding magnesium worked so well for me.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I invented the migraine. True story.

adamsaysyo is offline Member
    in that case Alex, we will hunt you, tie you up, and make you watch The English Patient and Ishtar on repeat for eternity.

Oh - and I just got back with some Magnesium Potassium Aspartate - hope it helps!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast