Thread: Anyone tracking post-meal blood sugar rec by Dr. Davis (Heart Scan Blog)? page

Stephanie A. is offline Member

Question Anyone tracking post-meal blood sugar rec by Dr. Davis (Heart Scan Blog)?

Somewhere on MDA, I ran across a link to Dr. Davis's Heart Scan Blog. I love this guy! The Heart Scan Blog

Based on his recommendation, I purchased a glucometer and have been experimenting with checking my blood sugars. My personal history is obese, for many years. I had gestational diabetes 17 years ago and my blood sugar has been on the high side of normal or even pushing the pre-diabetic range. My last 3 A1C and fasting blood sugars (from last three physicals) were all in the 6-6.5% A1C and fasting blood sugars of 99-108.

Since finding MDA and reducing my carbs down to around 50, total calories of 1200-1300 daily with a macro ratio of 65% fat, 20-25% protein and 10-15% carb, I have started losing weight. Yay!!!!!!!! My fasting blood sugars so far are between 77 and 90. Another YAY!

As for tracking after meals, I am wondering if it is the total number 1 hour following the meal or the difference betwen pre-meal and post meal that is more significant? For example, one of my meals this week, I was 85 before and 86 after. I think this is good. Yesterday, I was 77 before dinner but up to 102 after.

Dr. Davis says if over 100 before your meal, then post-prandial reading goal is no higher than the reading before the meal. If BS before the meal is below 100, then post-prandial goal is no higher than 100. My 102 was a little high, but I also wonder about the difference between 77 and 102...? Too much fluctuation?

Thanks for all the great support! This is a great community!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Keep tracking. That one incident of 70-102 pre and post meal is likely just do to the lack of precision associated with the fingerstick tests in general.

You'll have to track a lot to see patterns. I have done six sticks in a two minute period and seen numbers ranging from 86-112. It's just the how it goes with BG testing unless one is doing IV draws and a lab to run the numbers.

That's why you need lots of numbers over time.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I usually agree with everything Dr. Davis writes--except this time. His point was not about identifying diabetes but eating low carb, arguing that some supposedly low carb foods will raise insulin in some people.

I've been eating low carb for years, and I have no intention of monitoring my BG to check every item I eat. That's overkill, as far as I'm concerned.

There happens to be Type 2 in my family, and it's a concern of mine. But I'm hypothyroid and am checked every 4 months. My endo does a fasting BG as well as an A1C. I've been fine for years, although he credits my low carb eating with keeping me healthy.

There's no way I plan to check my BG after meals to insure that I'm not producing too much insulin! As a matter of fact, I am very sensitive to carbs (my limit is about 25g a day, and I usually eat no more than 20g), and if anything spikes my insulin, my insatiable hunger will tell me just as reliably as a finger prick (that's how I discovered that artificial sweeteners act just like sugar in my body).

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I check periodically, especially if I'm trying something I'm not sure about. Did you do the test on your monitor that most come with, to make sure it's gauged properly?
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism