Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight lifting, no soreness and undertraining page

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

Weight lifting, no soreness and undertraining

Primal Fuel
    Yeah, I sort of ripped off that other title

I started lifting differently on Wednesday.
    Workout program for Beginner's (detailed w/printout) | GymJunkies.com

Basically using this program, but I did only two days this week so Wednesday was squats, lumberjack press (in place of over head press) and inclined chest press (in place of bench press). Substitutions are because of have instability in my right shoulder and these are less likely to cause injury.

Today I did; dead lifts, chin-ups and dips (with dip assist machine).

I am not sure how sore I will be from today's workout tomorrow, but right now i don't feel like I did enough. I was not really sore yesterday or today from what I did on Wednesday.

I am new to this style of lifting, but have been doing everything else except the dead lifts before. I used to do cardio circuits and was ALWAYS sore the next few days. So, I was surprised to not be sore with this. Obviously it means I need to lift heavier, but how much heavier? 5 pounds per workout? I am not sure how much the bars will weigh in the weight room...maybe too much?

I am bummed about needing more weight though because it means I have to go into the 'man cave' that is our weight room. But, the 24 lb bar in the smaller workout room is not going to be heavy enough for my squats and dead lifts. It may be okay for the upper body stuff for now.

So, should I be sore or is it okay that I am only slightly sore? I am not trying to get 'huge' I just want to put on about 4-5 pounds of lean mass. I would like to reach my goal by October, so it isn't like I am trying to bulk up quickly.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    You're not doing SS but this answers your question anyway:

The first set seems really easy. Should I add more weight for the next few sets?

Nope. If you followed the directions from The First Workout then you started at the right weight. Use this as an opportunity to focus on technique (since you aren't concentrating on muscling up the weight). This early on, technique is your primary goal. Get your lifts perfect and then when your technique is called upon as the only means of moving a heavy load, you'll be right on point. Trust me, it will get plenty heavy soon enough, and when you're under that bar with 2-3 hundred pounds you'll be thankful that you won't have to think so hard about technique, because all you will be thinking is "OHMYGOD-THISIS-HEAVY.

EDIT: Seriously, take this advice. Don't be that guy (or girl in this case) who starts off lifting too heavy and then gets nowhere. Better to start off too light than too heavy.

EDIT EDIT: Or the douchebag who starts off too heavy and then adds weight at the cost of his form by humping the bar and doing quarter squats.
    Last edited by Bushrat; 04-02-2011 at 12:37 AM.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    DOMS is not a good indicator of progress or potential progress - progress is. Sounds stupid, I know, but just keep an eye on your performance or other indicator (in your case increased muscle mass) and you'll get there.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Great answers in this thread!

Cool. That works for me. Focus on technique, I can handle that. Next week I should be able to follow the program as written with 3 days in the week.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    But yeah you're going to have to tread into the so called man cave sooner or later anyways. If it makes you better there are always tons of noobs doing nothing but isolation exercises for the biceps triceps and pecs.

I think a HUGE part of my problem is that I already live and work in a male dominated world, being military a lot of the guys are already a bit arrogant and condescending of women in general. I know it is mostly my perception of things, but it is still there. I am sure weekends are not hugely busy too, so I am thinking about just going a walking in there tomorrow afternoon to find out where the things are that I will need, see how heavy the bars are etc. If I can wander around without a bunch of people watching. I don't like it when I don't look like i know what I am doing. So walking in there and looking around with other people around would feel awkward.

I am fairly confident my form is good for the lifts so that part is all good

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    When I see a woman in the gym squatting, deadlifting, benching, pullups, power cleans, etc... that's instant respect. Trust me, the guys will be impressed.

Buffalo Chip is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    When I see a woman in the gym squatting, deadlifting, benching, pullups, power cleans, etc... that's instant respect. Trust me, the guys will be impressed.
    I agree with this. I go to a typical chain-type gym and hardly ever see a female doing anything useful. What I mean is, the typical female in a gym is doing a hundred reps of crappy isolation exercises like triceps extensions with a 2-lb. dumb bell. It's also rare to see a girl sweating from exertion. They are just wasting their time, and it's sort of depressing, but none of my business so I do what I came to do and leave. When I see a girl doing a "real" lift like squats, lunges bench presses and so on with free weights I instantly have more respect for her, not just because she has obviously taken the time to learn what really works when lifting, but that she has overcome the peer pressure and feeling of being the "freak" in the gym to be the only gal there who is doing a big lift.

So I'd encourage you to challenge yourself to do what it takes to get stronger. Don't use other women as your point of comparison, use what you know works as your point of comparison and to hell with what other people think (though as I said, many people may respect you more for it!).

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast