Thread: Whole 30? Crossfit? page

sunflower is offline Junior Member

Whole 30? Crossfit?

I see a lot of posts on here mentioning Whole 30. What is that? I have read Mark's book and it was not mentioned in there. Is whole 30 something new from Mark or is it from somewhere else?

Also, I have been hearing a lot of reference to Crossfit lately from people I know. I haven't researched it myself, but I understand it is short intense workouts using whole body movements. Is crossfit similar to Mark's PB workouts? Are there cons to doing crossfit as far as PB goes? I ask because a friend is trying to get me into it and I wonder if it would be "PB approved". I have been eating PB for about 2 months but am pretty new to the PB workouts, mainly because I am lazy and just don't like working out in general :-p. I do want to get fit though so I am trying to motivate myself. I've lost 20 lbs just by eating PB, now I want to add workouts and loose another 20 and actually look fit ;-)

MarkP is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunflower View Post
    I see a lot of posts on here mentioning Whole 30. What is that?

The Whole30, Version 3.11 | Whole9 | Let us change your life.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunflower View Post
    Are there cons to doing crossfit as far as PB goes?
    Crossfit.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    The Whole 30 is just two people who decided they could attach a brand name to eating Paleo and profit from it.

SO when you hear or read "whole 30" just recognize "Paleo"

If you are at all intrigued by Crossfit you should give it a shot. Generally the first week is free at any box as they teach you the movements and lifts. The workouts are infinitely scalable which allows the middle aged women in my gym to do the same workout as me each morning (scaled).

If you want results and you want to have fun getting them I highly recommend crossfit.
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 04-01-2011 at 06:50 PM.
    ad astra per aspera

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    You do know that sport injuries are not restricted to Crossfit, right? Mark himself injured his knee playing Ultimate. I broke my fibula and tore my MCL doing taekwondo. Yes, Crossfit has a risk of injury, especially in badly-coached boxes or for soloists who don't use good form, but people hurt themselves in lots of athletic activities.

Mark's take on Crossfit (and P90X) versus PBF can be found here:
    P90X and CrossFit | Mark's Daily Apple

I've adopted a less intense Crossfit schedule than the standard--I do three days per week, alternating with yoga three days per week, and plan to add an Olympic lifting class on Saturdays once the election here is out of the way (I'm volunteering pretty heavily until then). I think scaling the frequency back from the 3-on, 1-off schedule and finding a good gym with well-trained coaches helps mitigate most of the problems Mark cites. Still, it is more intense than PBF.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    and I do crossfit 6 days a week - I really like the challenge of it as well as the weekly endurance component. As well as the body composition that comes with it!
    ad astra per aspera

sunflower is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Mark's take on Crossfit (and P90X) versus PBF can be found here:
    P90X and CrossFit | Mark's Daily Apple

I've adopted a less intense Crossfit schedule than the standard--I do three days per week,
    Thanks for posting this. Very helpful.