Thread: How to tell if you are lactose intolerant or dairy sensitive? page

TARNIP is offline Senior Member

How to tell if you are lactose intolerant or dairy sensitive?

I have thought for a while that I am lactose intolerant but how do I recongnize whether or not it is just the lactose or a complete dairy intolerance? What are the differences between the two, if any?

Rip City is offline Senior Member
    Stop eating dairy, see how you feel. Slowly reintroduce. Try different forms. Organic cheese has never bothered me, organic half/half, heavy cream don't bother me. 2% or lower really tear me up, every time, especially cheap/generic brands. Same with the cheeses

peril is offline Senior Member
    I've only heard of casein and lactose intolerance. Skim milk has lactose but little or no casein. Hard cheeses have casein but little or no lactose
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Lactose intolerance is pretty straight forward: digestive symptoms like bloating, gas, loose stools, etc. due to lack of lactase needed to break down lactose. It's not a sensitivity, but rather a missing enzyme.

Casein sensitivity (closer to an immune system reaction) is different and can cause symptoms for different people (depending on if it's an intolerance or a full on allergy) - phlegm/stuffiness/sinus infections/asthma, ear infections (in children) headaches and inflammatory reactions throughout the body, esp. the skin (hives, eczema, etc.) which are varied and even acid reflux.

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thankyou for your replies Doing a full elimination and re-introduction sounds like the way to go. I had been drinking lactose free milk and seemed fine on that but when starting PB to get my fat intake up I added some extras like butter, full cream, cheese, full fat yoghurt etc and started getting some mucous issues. Wasn't sure if it may have just been the amounts of it I was actually eating or if it was an intolerance. I am going to try eliminating it one thing at a time. I have replaced full cream and milk with coconut cream/milk and dairy yoghurt with coconut yoghurt. I must say I do find butter and cheese the hardest to eliminate coz both of these make everything else taste so much better Hoping I will be fine by having them on occassion