Thread: VAP test results - I think I'm good... Am I? page

Ransom is offline Senior Member

VAP test results - I think I'm good... Am I?

Primal Fuel
    Ok, so I got a VAP test done after having it recommended here many times over and I got my results back today. After looking at the numbers and plugging them into the ratios in Griff's Primer, this is what we've got. Those knowledgable, please advise on if I need worry. I don't think I do but I could be wrong. Let me know if you need more info - I'm just going to put down what I think is important. Here we go.

Total Cholesterol: 337
    Trigs: 54
    HDL: 77
    LDL: 246 (Density Pattern A!)
    VLDL: 14
    Combined LDL + VLDL: 260

Ratios:
    Total/HDL: 4.38 (Ideal 5 or less)
    Trig/HGL: .70 (Ideal 2 or less)
    LDL/HDL: Either 3.19 or 3.38 depending on if I use 246 or 260 - I wasn't sure which to use (Ideal 4.3 or less)

As far as I can understand then, everything is in the clear. My Trigs might be a little high but they are still well below what CW considers good (<150) so I'm too worried about it. Also, Pattern A = Great so I'm not really worried about LDL. Lastly, total cholesterol doesn't really matter according to Taubes so again - I'm good.

Do the experts here agree? A confirmation on my analysis (for my non-primal wife's sake more than anything) is appreciated.

Oh, and one more thing - not sure if it's important but:

Apollpoproteins

ApoB100: 158
    ApoA1: 184
    Ratio of the two: .86 (the results say .92 or less is Ideal)

Not sure if that number is important but it was on there.

Thanks!
    Strength and Honor

Ransom is offline Senior Member
    Really? No one? Maybe you read it, agreed I did the analysis right and decided to leave it at that. However, I would appreciate SOMEONE actually replying with agreement or not. Help a brother out! Therefore, I am prepared for possible "rude" or "snappy" comments as a result of my request - assuming you are annoyed by it...
    Strength and Honor

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I think all the lipid experts must be on spring break or something...
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

ciep is offline Senior Member
    I'm certainly no lipid expert, but I'll give my 2 cents for the fun of it.

Based on everything I've read/studied I'd say your results look fantastic. The only number that kind of stands out to me is the total cholesterol level of 337. That number only stands out in my mind however because of all the CW recommendations that "total be under 200" -- which we all really know to be crap. That said, if total was to drop slightly, or especially if HDL were to rise slightly, then your Total/HDL ratio would be even better and you'd have some REALLY impressive stats.

Anyway, I'm sure you're waiting for the likes of Griff or Stabby to chime in here -- hopefully you'll get your "expert certified" answers soon!

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    Not much to add... not an expert. I just had mine done too. I don't have all the results, but HDL was 118 and total was 320 something. Doc was of course "concerned". Then I pointed out HDL was really high and TG were about 40. My grandmother who also turned 100 this year has a total cholesterol in the 300+ range. So I'm happy with those #s. Was this baseline or a follow up? I think the change from CW diet might be the most interesting. My HDL was about 90 and went up to 118. Everything else stayed about the same.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member