Thread: Itchy hands, feet and... page

geologger is offline Junior Member

Itchy hands, feet and...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OK, since there's no such thing as TMI here...here goes.

Before PB, I never had a problem with dairy or 'lactose intolerance'. Honestly, I still don't know if I do or not. Beginning just after I started PB, my hands and feet have been itching and, uh, I've been having some rectal itching to varying degrees. Sometimes mild, sometimes unnervingly intense. What we used to call back in college "rag hole". Nice huh? Anyway, since this has been going on for about 3 months now, I thought I would try to get some advice.

I have been dairy free (probably 97% anyway - I was a cheeseaholic) for about 3 weeks and while it seemed to improve somewhat at first it now seems about the same as before. The only reason I thought it might be dairy related is because my sons (twin 2 1/2 year-olds) cannot have dairy in any form without breaking out in rashes and cold-like symptoms. They had to get it from somewhere - or someone, right? I thought maybe I had the same problem that had somehow escaped detection for all these years.

I'm at a loss for what might be causing this and thought maybe I wasn't the only one with this problem. I sure would like to find out the cause some time soon. Like in the next five minutes!! AAaargghh!! Help!
    Last edited by geologger; 04-01-2011 at 04:52 PM.

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    Did you just start PB? The issue could be candida and not dairy.

I've been on PB since Dec 1, 2010 and this started shortly thereafter. How would I know if candida is the problem? And more importantly, what to do about it? Dairy apparently isn't the problem - ar at least not the only one - the symptoms persist. Why would PB cause (or expose) either condition?

Thanks for any help.

See this thread- http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread6150.html or search for others. I had RASHES on my hands a couple months into PB and I'm pretty strict about being low-carb.

Just a hunch!

Alice Unchaind is offline Junior Member
    Try baby wipes.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geologger View Post
    I've been on PB since Dec 1, 2010 and this started shortly thereafter. How would I know if candida is the problem? And more importantly, what to do about it? Dairy apparently isn't the problem - ar at least not the only one - the symptoms persist. Why would PB cause (or expose) either condition?

Thanks for any help.
    I have been plagued with candida type symptoms for a couple of months - thrush, mouth ulcers and itchy private parts. Common advice is pretty consistent with primal low carb diet but also advise using probiotics. Try a multi probiotic + one that has s. Boulardii in it. Fermented foods such as kefir, sauerkraut, kimchee and kombucha tea are good food sources of probiotics. The other option is to go with cw meficine and take prescribed antifungal medicine.

Well, I'm a 50 year-old male, so the yeast infection is kinda out.

I'm trying some probiotic foods and it seems to be helping. Why does PB seem to get this sort of thing started??

Without looking up any info - I'm going to take a shot at this - Candida, the yeast which can be in males or females thrives on sugary goodness! When you cut way back on sugar which you would with PB it's going to die off, but as it dies off it feeds off it's own dead self and will grow even more- which causes outbreaks that create your symptoms. After the initial outbreak it shouldn't happen again if you keep your diet steady.

But what happens to me sometimes, like when I thought it would be ok to have a lot more sugar on my vacation is that I gave the candida sugar to thrive on again and bam! the symptoms are back.

My body is officially saying "NO MORE!" to sugar unless I want to be itchy and have sores on the sides of my mouth!

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Well, I'm a 50 year-old male, so the yeast infection is kinda out.
    Vaginal yeast is out maybe, but not in the rest of your orifices...