Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Me: Ani's Primal Journal page

ani
    ani is offline Senior Member

Just Me: Ani's Primal Journal

Primal Fuel
    Marks post today got me thinking about what my goals truly are and how to make myself accountable, what better way than to share my goals, progress, thoughts with the primal community?
    In January I decided to be kind to myself in all my health pursuits, Increase my energy through better food, sleep and exercise choices and work to lose body fat.
    I've done fairly well at being kind to myself, maybe even too much. I did have a few peanut butter binges but I shrugged them off and moved on. I haven't cried over my dietary choices at all, which I can't say for last year so all in all I did pretty well with this one.
    Sleep has kind of been all over the place, but I feel for the most part I'm getting the sleep I need, I go to bed when I'm tired and wake up whenever (a schedule I absolutely LOVE)
    Losing Body fat has been the tough one. I want to lose fat because I feel like I have all the knowledge, tools, and support to do it and make the right choices but I end up sabotaging myself. I really want my body to reflect healthy choices. I tried a whole30 (not to lose fat but to get my eating in order) and gained weight since I ate way too much fruit, nuts and meat (I didn't think it was possible to eat too much meat before that, I've learned my lesson now). I also tried a ketogenic diet of 20g carbs a day but it wasn't sustainable for me and ended with a big peanut butter binge. Now I'm working on moderation and using a whole30 very clean eating approach to really nail in what works best for me.
    Workouts have kind of been meh... so I'm looking forward to ramping them up as the weather gets warmer. I have my brother and my best friend as workout buddies, so I have all the tools in place to succeed.
    So that's whats on my mind if anyone has any crazy comments or insights I'd love to hear them!

ani
    I didn't give my "stats" in my first post, I don't think they're all that important but here they are just to give an idea of who I am. I'm 5'3" 150ish pounds - I'm not really sure, haven't weighed in awhile I'm currently a senior in high school, and hope to one day be a registered dietitian. Food, cooking and nutrition are my passions. I've been primal for about 9 months (last June) with a few brief lapses of grain consumption ending with me coming back to PB style eating.
    Overall I had a pretty decent day today.
    I consumed: 4 eggs, homemade turkey sausage, beef pastrami, tons of veggies, mac nuts, coconut, coconut milk and raspberries. I'll probably have some turkey green chile soup for dinner.
    I also went on a somewhat difficult hike.
    I checked my urine this morning and I'm in ketosis which is awesome since I'm not really limiting my carbs just picking berries as my fruit choice.
    Later tonight I get to hang out with some friends, and hopefully confirm my date for prom *excited*

ani
    I had a good weekend and focused on spending more time outside and less inside on my computer. I was successful.
    Food stuff: I'm fasting today (trying an eat-stop-eat approach) and yesterday I went to my college of choice to see what kind of food options were available (its kind of depressing). Yesterday I ate a salad, a hamburger patty, and some pistachios. A pretty decent menu for being away from the house all day, but I did discover that I really don't want to eat college dinning hall food all year next year.
    Fitness Stuff: Over the weekend I did some hiking, some body-weight exercises and some arroyo sprints. I walked a lot yesterday at my college visit, that's something I'll really love about being in college, that a car will actually slow you down and its best if you just walk everywhere.
    So overall I'm feeling decent this morning and hope to do something fun later on.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Hi Ani, welcome to the world of the primal journal! It's a great motivator for sure. Hmm...just out of curiosity, you said that you gained weight by eating too much meat. Did you only weigh yourself or did you measure your waist, neck and hips? If you normally had a low-calorie, heavy carb diet, your muscles may have been below your level of homeostasis. Basically, you could have been starving yourself. A few weeks of eating properly and the high fat, high protein meals may have stimulated muscle growth very quickly and it could have been enough lean muscle gain to offset your fat loss. Your body craves homeostasis, which is why it's easy to quickly build muscle if you're very weak and easy to lose fat if you're very heavy, but once you reach low bf% and you get strong, it's tough to make progress.

Example: I'm the same weight as I was 3 months ago. I haven't changed a bit. However, my waist is 1.5" smaller and my BF% fell from 15.5% to 12.4%. If I went by the scale, this lifestyle would be a failure. According to the mirror and the tape measure, huge success.

Honestly, throw away the scale and start using a measuring tape. This is a great website to monitor your body fat percentage - your TRUE lifestyle progress - and it's pretty accurate. Hell, this is how the US Navy does it, so that's good enough for me.

Body Fat Percentage - Free Body Fat Percentage Calculator
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-05-2011 at 08:51 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ani
    Thanks ChocoTaco, I have pretty much thrown away the scale, but I've been eating high-fat, moderate-protein, low-carb for about 9 months now, so it most likely wasn't muscle weight, especially because a lot of my clothes were too small after my meat and nut fest. It may not have been the meat, it could have been the combination of the meat, the nuts and the fruit, but whatever it was I gained weight, maybe a bit of muscle but definitely some fat to go along with it. For me I'm noticing it's very easy to gain muscle with relatively little effort but its very difficult to lose the fat covering up all my muscles, so I'm just experimenting around with stuff for now.
    Food: Yesterday I broke my fast (23hours) with a turkey green chile egg bake covered in avocado, and hot sauce, Yum! Today I'm fasting again and think that I'll have some coconut-chicken soup tonight, it's simmering away in my crok-pot as I type
    Fitness: I went for a short walk last night with my mother and my awesome dog, today I did some bodyweight stuff and I'm going swimming later.
    Overall I'm feeling pretty frustrated with fat loss, but I know I just need to be patient and it will happen. Plus I hope the fasting will help get things moving, prom is less than 2 weeks away and it would be nice to lose a bit before then.

ani
    Food: I fasted again yesterday I did 36 hours, and broke it this morning with some eggs, kale, avocado and green chile. Amazing how super full I feel, I think fasting is good for that to really get a sense of what it feels like to be hungry and then full, as opposed to munching all day.
    Fitness: Exercise I feel like I should ramp up after talking to a bodybuilder friend, but I get so confused on when one should exercise intensely, do cardio or weight train in a way that matches diet and will be productive. I'll just try to walk a lot. I'm also pretty convinced that it is impossible to lose fat and build muscle at the same time for me. If I restrict calories/carbs to the point of fat loss, I honestly just don't feel like working out, or I'm afraid I'm going to catabolize some precious muscle by working out. On the other hand I build muscle very easily when I eat comfortably (and don't count anything) but I usually gain fat, or at least don't lose any fat... So frustrating.
    I'm on to another 24hour + fast, and a very busy day.

ani
    Ended up not fasting today due to exhaustion and cravings for protein. Once I'm feeling better I'll give it another shot.

ani
    So I binged on Macadamia nuts today (not big time maybe 3-4 oz), but my energy is up and my protein cravings gone. I did discover that Mac nuts make my tummy hurt though, so I won't be buying any more of them. I also went for a hike and have decided that I will go for a hike every day until my birthday since I want to hike 18 miles for my 18th birthday. Hikes are a great way to get some low-level activity in while making vitamin D, plus who doesn't love spending time outdoors in nature?

ani
    Food:Not a great day for me, I started well, fasted until 2, got really low energy, ate a BAS and then tried some fruit (which I haven't eaten in a good while). I went a bit crazy with the fruit, coconut milk and nuts, but then I had a very good dinner. It was lettuce, grilled chicken, tons of guacamole and salsa, it really hit the spot and I'm feeling a lot better now.
    Fitness: Good, I went on an hour hike this morning before school, it was lovely.
    I'm getting tired of being tired, my energy increases right after I eat but them immediately drops off, maybe hypoglycemia? I will invest in a glucometer at some point but for now I'm just going to watch my carbs and try to balance them throughout the day, I may also try a few snacks even though I've been opposed to snacking for ages.

ani
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Food: Very good, I'm working on eating more carbs and convincing myself I'm not going to hell for doing so. I ate some eggs, sausage and mango for breakfast. Chicken, lettuce, avocado, salsa and a tangerine for lunch, blackberries, coconut, coconut milk, and some seeds for a snack, and pork ribs, sauce, greens, snap peas, and sweet potatoes for dinner. I feel better than I've felt in awhile, I'm going to work on tracking my meals and balancing my carbs and snacks as well as possible though. I know that today had an insane amount of carbs, but I'm working on not freaking out.
    Fitness: No hike it was super windy, dusty and then rainy today, thats new mexico for you, I should have maybe thought my hike goal through a bit better, I may go later and do an evening/night hike, but we'll c. I did 2 sets of 4 of the 5 primal essential movements (I don't have a pull up bar), and spent a lot of time out and about today as well as in the kitchen- I cooked 6lbs of meat today, and purchased over 20lbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast