Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being a Runner does not = "fit" page

Artimus71 is offline Member

Being a Runner does not = "fit"

Primal Fuel
    I've been a runner for 4 - 5 years. 5k's, 10k's, and one half marathon.

I decided to start the PBF program. So I did my self assessments yesterday.

Pushups (20)
    Pullups (4)
    Squats (61)
    Overhead press (Dive bomber) (8)
    Plank (Failed to even attempt)

Okay, I fail.

According to the chart on page 54, "Self-Assessment", I need to start on level two of every exercise other than squats. Being a runner, I knocked out 61+ squats easily, but my upper body is crap.

I'm eager to see where this takes me.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    you probably could use some flexibility too. i recommend yoga.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    i recommend yoga.
    I wouldn't even know where to start with that... Suggestions?

Short of signing up for a class or going to a gym, any cheap dvd's out there? ?

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I would really recommend taking a yoga class rather than jumping in with a DVD. If you've never done it before, a teacher's adjustments and eye are invaluable and will go a long way toward preventing injury. Most yoga studios have an intro special where you can get your first week of unlimited classes at a super-discounted rate, or sometimes even free. If you don't want to go to a studio, a yoga class at your gym would be better than a DVD.

Yoga is so good for runners. Without yoga, I don't think I could run half as long or fast as I can.

And I like this thread. Running for me is more about enjoyment/being outdoors/meditation/the running community. It annoys me when people say they're getting into shape with running. Um, no. You're gaining the ability to do something very specific and largely useless when it comes to actual fitness or functional ability. Bully for you, when the zombie apocalypse comes you will be able to flee at a 10-minute mile pace, and only if you have a water bottle and a GU strapped to your belt! That'll be useful. *eyeroll* As much as I love running and identify as a runner, I think most runners assume they are WAY more fit than they are.

Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    .....And I like this thread. Running for me is more about enjoyment/being outdoors/meditation/the running community. It annoys me when people say they're getting into shape with running. Um, no. You're gaining the ability to do something very specific and largely useless when it comes to actual fitness or functional ability. Bully for you, when the zombie apocalypse comes you will be able to flee at a 10-minute mile pace, and only if you have a water bottle and a GU strapped to your belt! That'll be useful. *eyeroll* As much as I love running and identify as a runner, I think most runners assume they are WAY more fit than they are.
    I had no idea I was so far off the mark of "fitness". I could run for hours on end without even breathing heavy. At one point, my average run was 7 - 8 miles and long runs were half marathon distances. So I did assume... All I've done is made my legs effecient, and I guess my heart pumps rather well. The rest of my body is junk.

Time to work on it!

a class is best, but you can also find classes, etc online. i'm going to have a day of video-making for my blog next week (got a sitter and all that), so i might create a few videos that also help out with certain PB fitness requirements/movements.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Another thing to consider is that someone who is strong but has no cardio or can't run isn't totally fit either. There are a lot of components to overall fitness. I did a series of articles on assessing your fitness that you might find interesting.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

that's good stuff, al.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Al! Those are useful standards.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimus71 View Post
    All I've done is made my legs effecient, and I guess my heart pumps rather well. The rest of my body is junk.
    Well, I wouldn't say "junk", but yeah, I've been there. It's eye-opening when you can run a 10-miler no problem but 50 pushups might as well be flying to the moon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast