Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: calories either matter or they don't page

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member

Question calories either matter or they don't

Primal Fuel
    Ok so I have spent the last 2 days trying to figure this out and I keep finding the same two answers. yes, calories matter and no they don't. Yes you have to count them to lose weight, and No you dont have to count them to lose weight. All of these posts, forums, and articles and I am even more frustrated and confused. They either matter or they don't right? so which is it? I know the TYPES matter but do i need to eat 1500 calories of just meat, veggies, fats or do I just need to make sure i eat meat, veggies, fats and not worry about it?There seems to be no definitive answer.

reading one of Mark's articles comments, people seem to be just as confused as they had read an article of his saying they do not matter and one saying they do!!It’s the Calories, not the Carbs! | Mark's Daily Apple

Sassy is offline Senior Member
    It's not as simple as that. For some people they matter, for some they don't. Sometimes they matter depending on what your goal is, sometimes worrying about them is the worst possible thing for your goals.

There is no definitive answer that covers everyone - only what works for you.
    Sassy: Revised - my primal log

hmm so someone can lose weight not counting and some just have to count forever?

and as people have said before, how do u properly count? here is a comment i found:

"If you have to count calories, at least do it right: collect your shit and piss and measure their caloric content. You may be amazed at the amount of calories out in your waste."

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    Is light a particle or a wave? My personal experience is that there is no yes / no ; black or white answer to do calories count. Here is my take:

If you have a LOT of weight to lose, like I did (I was somewhere near 300 pounds) when you first start out you can start to lose weight by eliminating any number of factors. Cutting out sugar, sodas, carbs, fats even. So EITHER changing quantity OR quality will shed pounds.

Once you get down to around under 20% body fat, you can easily maintain by sticking to an unweighed, unmeasured paleo diet... assuming you don't start eating things like dried fruit, nuts, dates, almond meal cookies.

If you want to get fight club ripped, then yeah you will have to pay attention to BOTH quality AND quantity. At that point look into intermittent fasting and avoid fruit and nuts.

I made some notes about what I have learned in my journey so far here
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

sghulett is offline Senior Member
    remember not all calories are created equal.

so counting calories is best when you are closer to your goal weight? Thanks, i can deal with that fact.

Rip City is offline Senior Member
    Read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. And please, try not to focus solely on weight as an indicator of your health!!!

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip City View Post
    Read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. And please, try not to focus solely on weight as an indicator of your health!!!
    I absolutely LOVE that link to batty`s page!!! so awesome and powerful!
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast